Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 10:08 AM

342 posts, read 319,837 times

Advertisements

What's up with all of the RV garages in homes in Arizona? I can't believe how many new construction homes offer an RV garage, and how many homes have already been built with one. Those doors are so big and ugly, and they overwhelm the look of a house when they are visible from the road. I saw one house in Mesa listed yesterday that has four garage doors, in three different sizes: https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Mesa/915-E.../home/26909630

Do that many people have RVs in Phoenix? I had a brand new fifth-wheel once, but used it three times in the two years I owned it, so I sold it. I don't have any desire to purchase a fifth-wheel or an RV again. I realized I prefer hotels when I travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 10:24 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
It’s possible that people aren’t buying/building them specifically with RVs in mind. A lot of people in Phx need larger, oversized garage spaces for their huge, extra long 9 mpg trucks that get them back and forth to the local Arby’s.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:34 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
For all the snowbirds that travel in RVs. Or Retirees that have an RV and travel the country but don't want to put it in a storage lot. I mean...simplest answer is there are RV garages for folks to store an RV. A lot of HOAs will not allow open air storage of RVs even if you have an RV gate. An RV Garage negates that rule.

Your listing example even has the reason in the pictures. They have their cabin cruiser boat parked in there as well as a truck for towing it. I wouldn't mind having one so I could install a decent lift in there for working on cars.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:38 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Have you seen what the sun does to an RV here? Some of these rigs cost more than $500K. Covered RV storage is expensive and often hard to find nearby. As poster above says HOA won't allow in view RV parking and even city laws prohibit it.

I have an RV (sleeping in a community bed, ugh! no lugging my bags or bedbugs for me!). I keep it in a covered spot but it is 25 miles away. I'd love one of those RV garages and find it far more useful than a pool.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:44 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
At least that house has some land to go with it.

I have seen inside a couple of them in Surprise. One was done up like a 50s diner and another one looked to be owned by a car enthusiast with a lift/man cave combo.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:52 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,599 times
Personally I would like a house that has more garage space than bedrooms. I've got too many cars and have to store some collectible cars in storage or at second / third properties. I'm a huge car nut and have some really desirable collectibles that are skyrocketing in value. I thought about buying a neighbor's house recently that came up for sale just to be able to store my exotic cars in their garage but decided against it, lol.

I have zero interest in RV at this stage but that may change in the future, so an RV garage would be good to set up lifts to store my cars in a climate controlled environment.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:06 PM

342 posts, read 319,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
At least that house has some land to go with it.

I have seen inside a couple of them in Surprise. One was done up like a 50s diner and another one looked to be owned by a car enthusiast with a lift/man cave combo.
My husband looked at the Mesa house with the four garages last night and said, "There's a house built just for men. No woman would want to live there."

But I'm honestly curious what the percentage of residents are with an RV. A lot of people in other cities have RVs, but there aren't a gazillion RV garages.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:17 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,272,512 times
Yes, there are a lot of RVs here. And people need a ton of garage space. Since we rarely have basements here, people need to use the garage to store all their useless crap.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Lots of garage space is a very attractive feature here. One of our neighbors is planning to build an RV garage, even though he already has a 4-car garage and has no intention of ever owning an RV. People use their garages for storage too, since basements are a rarity and attics are too hot to store most things.

Another neighbor of ours is a car collector. The home had room for six cars inside garages when they bought it, and I believe he put in lifts to add even more car storage.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:21 PM

65 posts, read 46,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
What's up with all of the RV garages in homes in Arizona? I can't believe how many new construction homes offer an RV garage, and how many homes have already been built with one. Those doors are so big and ugly, and they overwhelm the look of a house when they are visible from the road. I saw one house in Mesa listed yesterday that has four garage doors, in three different sizes: https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Mesa/915-E.../home/26909630

Do that many people have RVs in Phoenix? I had a brand new fifth-wheel once, but used it three times in the two years I owned it, so I sold it. I don't have any desire to purchase a fifth-wheel or an RV again. I realized I prefer hotels when I travel.
I don't know anyone that owns an RV or has those hideous garages. It is one of the worst new build trends to come to Phoenix. Maybe it has changed but they're mostly in areas that are on the outskirts. I've seen a few here and there in areas like the Redfin link you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area