Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 11:23 AM

2,378 posts, read 2,706,879 times

Advertisements

I've been with the same HVAC company for a long time. I considered them very good--reliable, courteous, moderately priced, good at explanations, though slow to return calls - and recommended them to others. Several years ago I even splurged on an expensive new heating/cooling unit. I've been a good customer, too - that is, I never insist they come instantly on an emergency, I don't bargain with the bills. In fact, at one point the owner was sitting in my kitchen chatting sociably for the better part of an hour.

However, a couple of years ago, I had a first issue that bothered me. My roofer said that the new unit wasn't properly installed. It was mounted in an unstable way, he said, and he fixed it. I called the HVAC guy to tell him. To my mind, there were only two good responses. Either he could say, "Really? I can't believe that. I'll come over an take a look in the next few days." Or "You know, I think at the time we did something temporary and meant to come back and finish. I wonder if my people forgot." Instead, he just flatly said the roofer was wrong, and ended the conversation. I considered that a bad reaction.

More recently, starting last year, I've been calling the company, initially because of a thermostat question, then a thermostat problem. They took messages (the phone is answered by family), but I wasn't getting any calls back. At one point I was told they weren't making any visits except for emergencies, but this could have been solved over the phone. From my point of view, if they weren't going to as many places in person, they had all the more time to return calls. At one point, the owner left town for a family emergency, and I stopped calling, but started again a few months later. Lately, they're not even answering their phone. It's also an issue because I'm supposed to have a yearly visit as part of my warranty.

Of course, it's perfectly possible that the company suddenly shut down, but I doubt it. I'm considering contacting the Better Business Bureau, as that can be very effective in lighting a fire under unresponsive companies. But it also occurs to me that I probably could try contacting the Registrar of Contractors, although I don't really know how that works.

So, after that long history:

1. Have you ever reached out to the Registrar of Contractors to solve a problem? If so, how did it work, and were you happy with the results?

2. Do you have a great HVAC company you recommend, preferably one with 6-12 employees?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 10:20 AM

42 posts, read 63,809 times
I would just move on, taking a pound of flesh out of your contractor won't fix anything. The best thing you can do is to show them you aren't happy but not doing business with them again. When they lose customers they might get it. But, with so many people here, there's always a new customer to take your place, which is probably what they are banking on. Diamond Mechanical is the contractor that installed the New AC system on my house a few months before I purchased it last Dec. I have a transferred maintenance warranty of 10 years for the Trane AC system they installed. When I upgrade to a heat pump water heater this winter, they will be the ones I call. They are always courteous and on time. They go the extra mile.
Diamond Mechanical 602 535 8988

Old 11-25-2021, 07:12 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I've been with the same HVAC company for a long time. I considered them very good--reliable, courteous, moderately priced, good at explanations, though slow to return calls - and recommended them to others. Several years ago I even splurged on an expensive new heating/cooling unit. I've been a good customer, too - that is, I never insist they come instantly on an emergency, I don't bargain with the bills. In fact, at one point the owner was sitting in my kitchen chatting sociably for the better part of an hour.

However, a couple of years ago, I had a first issue that bothered me. My roofer said that the new unit wasn't properly installed. It was mounted in an unstable way, he said, and he fixed it. I called the HVAC guy to tell him. To my mind, there were only two good responses. Either he could say, "Really? I can't believe that. I'll come over an take a look in the next few days." Or "You know, I think at the time we did something temporary and meant to come back and finish. I wonder if my people forgot." Instead, he just flatly said the roofer was wrong, and ended the conversation. I considered that a bad reaction.

More recently, starting last year, I've been calling the company, initially because of a thermostat question, then a thermostat problem. They took messages (the phone is answered by family), but I wasn't getting any calls back. At one point I was told they weren't making any visits except for emergencies, but this could have been solved over the phone. From my point of view, if they weren't going to as many places in person, they had all the more time to return calls. At one point, the owner left town for a family emergency, and I stopped calling, but started again a few months later. Lately, they're not even answering their phone. It's also an issue because I'm supposed to have a yearly visit as part of my warranty.

Of course, it's perfectly possible that the company suddenly shut down, but I doubt it. I'm considering contacting the Better Business Bureau, as that can be very effective in lighting a fire under unresponsive companies. But it also occurs to me that I probably could try contacting the Registrar of Contractors, although I don't really know how that works.

So, after that long history:

1. Have you ever reached out to the Registrar of Contractors to solve a problem? If so, how did it work, and were you happy with the results?

2. Do you have a great HVAC company you recommend, preferably one with 6-12 employees?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Not sure what area of the valley you are in, but in the west valley I have been DELIGHTED with the service I've gotten from Jaycox, both in terms of general maintenance and replacement of a very old roof unit. Despite the age of the roof unit, they never pushed one bit to replace it; I chose to replace it based on the law of averages. They're prompt, their workers are friendly, and I've never felt any bill was padded or anything like that. I think they're a very honest business.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
You did not get the response you expected when you called an HVAC contractor a couple of years ago based on another contractor's say so. Then you were told they do not handle non-emergency house calls.

What are you trying to complain to BBB about?

Does your warranty actually stipulate annual service calls and if so for how many years?

Old 11-25-2021, 10:25 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Does your warranty actually stipulate annual service calls and if so for how many years?
It most likely does. It's a common thing in Phoenix. We have prepaid maintenance on all of five of our units.

Voebe, we use Howard Air.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:00 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillhiccup View Post
I would just move on, taking a pound of flesh out of your contractor won't fix anything. The best thing you can do is to show them you aren't happy but not doing business with them again. When they lose customers they might get it. But, with so many people here, there's always a new customer to take your place, which is probably what they are banking on. Diamond Mechanical is the contractor that installed the New AC system on my house a few months before I purchased it last Dec. I have a transferred maintenance warranty of 10 years for the Trane AC system they installed. When I upgrade to a heat pump water heater this winter, they will be the ones I call. They are always courteous and on time. They go the extra mile.
Diamond Mechanical 602 535 8988

Short term smarts. I'm hardly a "whale" when it comes to owning property but I do have work. Had a $3600 tile job line up for a vendor I had used several times in the past. The last job there were a few cuts that were off. Nothing major but noticeable around one of the bath tubs.

I had the extra tiles/gout. Would have taken no time to pop out the tiles and replace them. House was empty... but no. Vendor said they were fine. The tile vendor had done three nice size jobs for me in the past. Why not keep me happy? I never complained before.

Anyway.. I get a text a few weeks later to discuss the start date to tile my home. I said I wouldn't be needing his service. That's a $3600 job he lost.

In addition I received a call from a handyman I use asking for the tile vendors contact info. I explained what happened and why I wouldn't recommend him. But here's the contact info. anyway. The handyman said he would pass.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:12 PM

768 posts, read 1,758,970 times
We’ve used Chas Roberts for the past 15 years. We purchased a house with a unit still under warranty - they treated us so well we’ve stayed with them. When our unit went out 10 years later at 9pm in the middle of August - a technician was at the door in less than 30 minutes.

They helped us buy the most efficient (SRP equal payment on our 2000sq ft 1973 house has never been over $139 a month). The new unit was bought and installed within a day. Very professional - highly recommend.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:38 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,706,879 times
Thanks to all of you who floating some names. I'll check them out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: