Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 06:13 PM

66 posts, read 46,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This is proof that it's stupid to move to Phoenix just for a change in the weather. Too many people have done this, and then end up dissatisfied or miserable, and a lot of times it's because of how hot the summers are. In fact, I would say that if anybody absolutely has to move someplace just for the weather/climate, Phoenix should be toward the bottom of the list. There are lots of other places to consider with few tornadoes and nicer weather overall than Phoenix.
"There are lots of other places to consider with few tornadoes and nicer weather overall than Phoenix."

which places are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 07:33 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
"There are lots of other places to consider with few tornadoes and nicer weather overall than Phoenix."

which places are you talking about?
Just about anywhere in north/central Arizona (north of Phoenix/south of Flagstaff), as well as Cochise County in SE Arizona around the 3,000 to 5,000 foot elevation level. These locations have summers that aren't blazing hot, generally greener, not bitter cold in the winter with some light snow. Also, pretty much any coastal area in southern CA would have an even better climate. None of these places are completely tornado free, but aren't prone to tornadoes like the Midwest, Plains, and southern states.

Old 12-25-2021, 02:31 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I can't agree with the second part, the heat is far less disruptive on life than rain, blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc.. the heat doesn't wipe your house/city out, cause you to need to evacuate, create insane insurance premiums. Think about it a little bit.

I do agree that people moving here, especially from the east, do not understand our heat or how much it can impact you. They know a hot day as 85 and humid, laughable here, I know. But I've lived in both places and personally see how many people will find this more tolerable.

I'm also okay with some people coming for one summer and leaving. We've got plenty of people here and it's not for everyone. I did my time in the east and promptly came to a similar conclusion, summers sucked for me, winters also sucked, I hate bugs, I hate humidity, my allergies were insane, I spent far less time outdoors in the summer there than I do in Phoenix. But all good, variety of living location is a luxury we have in this country.
Had to laugh as I JUST made a post about this in the Alabama forum (the bolded part). I want so badly to return to Phoenix. I loved Phoenix, heat and all. I need dry heat due to lung and arthritis issues. But I also CRAVE the dry heat, having grown up in Southern California. I need the hiking trails for me and my dogs right in town. I need to see all my peeps that still work in the various stores I always frequented. I miss everything about Phoenix. My butcher (Hobe Meats). My restaurants. The dog parks. I need sunshine. I need blue sky. I'm going crazy in the SE. I'm an outdoor person. I HATE being stuck inside. It rains all the time here, so that's another reason I'm going crazy, not to mention my dogs as well.

Old 12-25-2021, 02:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
No one in the east really thinks about those things. I'm guilty of that, but since moving here I know better. OP, I use to say '' the heat doesnt bother me" , but it sure did here this summer. So much so that i'm not spending another summer here. I've grown to appreciate the cool weather (but not sub 20 degrees) now.
No one should move here without an extended visit in the summer. Believe it or not, this past summer was a walk in the park compared to the double record setter in 2020. But, there's always significant heat in the summer. It's not a secret. Hope you find another place more to your liking.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:45 PM

994 posts, read 969,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No one should move here without an extended visit in the summer. Believe it or not, this past summer was a walk in the park compared to the double record setter in 2020. But, there's always significant heat in the summer. It's not a secret. Hope you find another place more to your liking.
To be honest , I wanted a change from the east , and I got that here. But I really want the same scenery as the appalachians , but in a new way with some new perks, if that makes sense.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Had to laugh as I JUST made a post about this in the Alabama forum (the bolded part). I want so badly to return to Phoenix. I loved Phoenix, heat and all. I need dry heat due to lung and arthritis issues. But I also CRAVE the dry heat, having grown up in Southern California. I need the hiking trails for me and my dogs right in town. I need to see all my peeps that still work in the various stores I always frequented. I miss everything about Phoenix. My butcher (Hobe Meats). My restaurants. The dog parks. I need sunshine. I need blue sky. I'm going crazy in the SE. I'm an outdoor person. I HATE being stuck inside. It rains all the time here, so that's another reason I'm going crazy, not to mention my dogs as well.

I can completely relate and hope it works out for you to get back. I felt exactly the same when I was in New England for multiple years, I tried my hardest to make the best of it but realized even though I'm not from here originally Phoenix is my home, from my social network through my favorite things to do/eat. I'm also a huge outdoorsy person and really missed the geographic diversity that I took for granted before moving away.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:25 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
Tornadoes have been reported in every state, except Alaska & Rhode Island.
Not true. I live in RI and we’ve had tornadoes, the last bad one I remember was in 1986. Back in 1953 Worcester, MA, just 50 miles north of RI had a major tornado, permanently changing the landscape, 53 people were killed, 1300 were injured.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:45 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
What about work, earning potential, cost of living, transportation, and big city type of amenities that are available here which might be harder to find in Alabama? Incidentally: it's been raining quite a bit here lately, but I LOVE it because it saves on water bills, clears out the pollution, provides some drought relief, and is a nice change of pace from the incessant sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Not true. I live in RI and we’ve had tornadoes, the last bad one I remember was in 1986. Back in 1953 Worcester, MA, just 50 miles north of RI had a major tornado, permanently changing the landscape, 53 people were killed, 1300 were injured.
I stand corrected on that, but a Google search clearly states that AK and RI are the only states that haven't reported tornadoes. In any case, this is proof that all states have experienced tornadoes, and it's foolish for somebody to move primarily to attempt escaping tornadoes.

https://lisbdnet.com/what-states-do-...Have_Tornadoes

Old 12-30-2021, 05:44 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
What about work, earning potential, cost of living, transportation, and big city type of amenities that are available here which might be harder to find in Alabama?
Well first of all I am retired so I don't really need earning potential. I just want to live out my years in a place that I loved living at one time. (Arizona)

As for Alabama, specifically Huntsville, Huntsville is a beautiful city with tons of amenities, job opportunities and is growing like crazy. There is NASA, the FBI, the Arsenal (major employer) exploding opportunities in IT, Amazon is putting in a fulfillment center out by the airport, and Toyota is building a plant here. Huntsville was already a major city, though small. It is about to change exponentially.

Having grown up in Southern California during the fifties and sixties I'm not sure that's a great thing but I'm sure most Alabamans will welcome it. If it weren't for the weather, the lack of diverse terrain and the bugs, I would consider staying because there are a lot of great things about this area.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:24 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I can completely relate and hope it works out for you to get back. I felt exactly the same when I was in New England for multiple years, I tried my hardest to make the best of it but realized even though I'm not from here originally Phoenix is my home, from my social network through my favorite things to do/eat. I'm also a huge outdoorsy person and really missed the geographic diversity that I took for granted before moving away.
loco, sometimes it takes a new environment to make us realize how good we had it! You were fortunate enough to make it back. This place (despite some of its drawbacks) grows on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area