Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 10,873 times

Advertisements

Why you ask, well tornadoes, I hate them! I see them getting worse in the future, we just had one in December!
I do Lyft and Door Dash full time and I figure I can do that in Phoenix and do just fine, as the heat doesn’t bother me. I have noticed that the roads are better as far as layout in Phoenix compared to Nashville , where they are not building new roads, yet they are putting buildings up as fast as they can. I will say Tornadios are the main reason for me wanting to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 10:27 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Tornadoes have been reported in every state, except Alaska & Rhode Island. While it's much more rare for tornadoes to occur in the Phoenix area, there have been outbreaks from time to time (most recently in November & December of 2019). Trying to escape a place strictly because of weather conditions is often a huge mistake. Phoenix might have fewer tornadoes, more sunshine, and better roads, but there are other important reasons to consider: job opportunities & cost of living to name two. Have you considered that it will probably be more expensive to live in Phoenix than Tennessee???

Old 12-18-2021, 10:34 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Tornadoes have been reported in every state, except Alaska & Rhode Island. While it's much more rare for tornadoes to occur in the Phoenix area, there have been outbreaks from time to time (most recently in November & December of 2019). Trying to escape a place strictly because of weather conditions is often a huge mistake. Phoenix might have fewer tornadoes, more sunshine, and better roads, but there are other important reasons to consider: job opportunities & cost of living to name two. Have you considered that it will probably be more expensive to live in Phoenix than Tennessee???
All good points to consider, OP. Phoenix used to be a cheaper city but the COL has increased along with a population surge coupled with a lot of high tech jobs flowing into the area. As communities in the valley become more landlocked and more jobs enter the market, I don't see this trend changing.

Phoenix has had tornadoes, this is true, but nothing like what recently ripped through the TN/KY areas, which completely destroyed entire communities, the news reports look horrific and I hope they never have to experience such devastation again.

Best of luck if you land in Phoenix or somewhere else.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:12 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,994,443 times
Nashville is also experiencing rising cost of living. OP did not mention seeking a bargain.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,982,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyft Driver View Post
Why you ask, well tornadoes, I hate them! I see them getting worse in the future, we just had one in December!
I do Lyft and Door Dash full time and I figure I can do that in Phoenix and do just fine, as the heat doesn’t bother me. I have noticed that the roads are better as far as layout in Phoenix compared to Nashville , where they are not building new roads, yet they are putting buildings up as fast as they can. I will say Tornadios are the main reason for me wanting to move.
I would recommend the Door Dash and Lyft groups on Facebook. They will be able to give you heads up on the different areas. I know the passenger count at Pheonix Airport is a lot higher and that should translate into more business for Lyft.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:37 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,156 times
Why are you worried about tornadoes getting worse but not about the devastating drought, dwindling water resources, and steadily rising temps in the hottest major city in North America?

Old 12-18-2021, 04:53 PM

994 posts, read 970,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Why are you worried about tornadoes getting worse but not about the devastating drought, dwindling water resources, and steadily rising temps in the hottest major city in North America?
No one in the east really thinks about those things. I'm guilty of that, but since moving here I know better. OP, I use to say '' the heat doesnt bother me" , but it sure did here this summer. So much so that i'm not spending another summer here. I've grown to appreciate the cool weather (but not sub 20 degrees) now.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:15 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
No one in the east really thinks about those things. I'm guilty of that, but since moving here I know better. OP, I use to say '' the heat doesnt bother me" , but it sure did here this summer. So much so that i'm not spending another summer here. I've grown to appreciate the cool weather (but not sub 20 degrees) now.
This is proof that it's stupid to move to Phoenix just for a change in the weather. Too many people have done this, and then end up dissatisfied or miserable, and a lot of times it's because of how hot the summers are. In fact, I would say that if anybody absolutely has to move someplace just for the weather/climate, Phoenix should be toward the bottom of the list. There are lots of other places to consider with few tornadoes and nicer weather overall than Phoenix.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:43 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyft Driver View Post
Just had some friends make the opposite move this week to Nashville! There are lots of Lyft and Door Dash drivers here so that should not be an issue. As others have stated, we do get tornadoes in AZ but not that often, and not as severe as those you get in Tennessee.

Where we lack in tornados we make up for in our summer heat!

https://patch.com/arizona/phoenix/mo...152%20injuries.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Yep, the heat is really challenging in the summer. Where are you thinking of relocating to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area