Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 03:06 PM

17,409 posts, read 22,161,043 times

Advertisements

You need a taller fence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 04:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,809,196 times
I have had my shares of problems with neighbors from dog barking to loud music and recently light pollution. The family who next door to me is from India. Most Indians use the garage as their kitchen and eating area. Their food smells so strong that I don't even want to open my garage side door. They installed two gigantic bare light bulbs on the side of their house and sometime leave them on all night. I put some canvas on my side of the fence to block some of the light but it still shines at part of my house. The only good thing is my bedrooms are on the other side of the house but it bothers that these people are inconsiderate. And they are are going to live here for a long time.

Good luck to the OP.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 AM

50,970 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Threads like this remind me that I am glad I am in a (sort of) HOA controlled neighborhood.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:06 AM

13,891 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Threads like this remind me that I am glad I am in a (sort of) HOA controlled neighborhood.

I don't necessarily like having an HOA either but they help keep the neighborhood in good shape. You've got to keep the landscape in front clean and you can't park cars everywhere.

But.. in my experience when it comes to a neighbor/neighbor dispute involving the backyard they won't get involved.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:55 AM

55 posts, read 49,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I don't necessarily like having an HOA either but they help keep the neighborhood in good shape. You've got to keep the landscape in front clean and you can't park cars everywhere.

But.. in my experience when it comes to a neighbor/neighbor dispute involving the backyard they won't get involved.

I and hearing from experiences of others have found it hit or miss if they get involved with such matters. Some indeed are really bad at doing much I've found. Often they turn into just the garbage barrel police and that's about it. But they are happy to take your money of course. In the end, I've found there's nothing like being on a large piece of land if one wants some peace.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert88 View Post
I and hearing from experiences of others have found it hit or miss if they get involved with such matters. Some indeed are really bad at doing much I've found. Often they turn into just the garbage barrel police and that's about it. But they are happy to take your money of course. In the end, I've found there's nothing like being on a large piece of land if one wants some peace.

I make if very clear to potental tenants about rules regarding parking and the landscape. Parking is only allowed inside the garage or on the driveway. There is no street parking between 12 -6 am.

When applicants sign the lease agreement it's clearly states they are aware of the HOA rules/regulation and have received a copy.

With regards to the backyard: I've got a property with a huge lot. You can easily park a boat or RV in back and it won't be seen from the front of the house. But...when you read the HOA regulations closely it states if a boat, RV ect. are over a certain height (block wall) and someone complains they don't like looking at it. The RV or sailboat is deemed to "interfere with their enjoyment" and must be removed.

For years I was under the impression all that matter was a truck, boat or whatever couldn't be seen from the street. The RV gate and large lot were a strong point when renting. Renters would park a large vehicle or RV behind the house and nobody ever complained.

Today, I'm clear on the HOA rules and explain while there's never been trouble in the past. It only takes one neighbor to get upset and whatever is being parked in back... if the height extends past the wall it will need to be removed.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:06 PM

162 posts, read 76,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Trouble selling your house when buyers see that RV parked next door? Get them out of the backyard first, then sell your house !!
They will just pitch a tent next to the RV and say they do not live in the RV, point to the tent and say they live in the tent, and use the RV for storage. Neighbor problems like that are rarely easily solved.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:12 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,269,874 times
Agree with the legal actions to be taken
How about putting up a huge tilt umbrella to cover the RV. You can get them in a 12 feet diameter which should do the trick.
At least you would have some privacy while you work out the solution legally.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
They will just pitch a tent next to the RV and say they do not live in the RV, point to the tent and say they live in the tent, and use the RV for storage. Neighbor problems like that are rarely easily solved.
I had a neighbor whose sprinkler system had been hitting the wall on their side for years. When I started managing the property I took photos and asked my neighbor to adjunct the sprinkler heads. The water hitting the wall was seeping over to my side. There were dark streaks on the wall and chalky calcium deposit at base of wall as well. My landscaper told me to ask the neighbors adjust the spray and the problem would cease. If not, the wall will weaken and at some point repairs will need to be made. Repairs which both my neighbor and I are responsible for covering since it's a "party wall."

So what did my neighbors have to say when I asked them to adjust their sprinklers system Nothing? They refused to answer me.

So I called the HOA and told me they do not get into such disputes and to call the city if I was concerned. A person from the water department came by and documented there are no leaks in my yard. My yard has no irrigation system.

Next I contacted an attorney who deals with such matters (hard to find by the way...) and was told it would be expensive to take this matter to court. The cost would be likely be more than the cost of replacing the wall.

So I had the wall painted. It's not going to fall down anytime soon but WTF? One day I did see the husband outside and asked that he take a look at my side of the wall but he said it wasn't necessary.

Back to the HOA: unless it's related to parking, landscaping I wouldn't expect much help.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:44 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,312,676 times
Is this in Glentucky ? I remember having people trash problems in Glentucky .

If you can afford it put in a security camera system that records everything, build a really tall sturdy fence, and document every single incident.

You may need to: get an attorney who can help you understand what type of case it is since the lines between civil lawsuits and criminal charges can be very thin.

Get a restraining order if your neighbor is threatening you or acting dangerously
File a police report (the police may not take action but it will at least be on record)
File a noise complaint with your landlord or the police
Start the process of suing your neighbor for harassment but
Harassment must be a repeated and intentional act. This means a neighbor accidentally backing into your trash cans or having one loud party may not qualify. But if they start making threatening comments toward you or repeating the bad behavior, it can quickly become a harassment case.

Neighbor harassment can take many forms, including:

Derogatory or offensive comments about sexual orientation, your nation of origin, or other discriminatory factors
Calling law enforcement on you repeatedly or for small things
Repeatedly playing loud music during city "quiet hours" or after you have asked them to stop
Coming onto your yard or bothering your pet after you asked them (or their kids) to stay away
Disorderly conduct on shared property or your property
Claiming they have freedom of speech to say abusive things to you
Any intentional acts to make you move away
Stalking, watching you, or invading your legal rights to privacy
Building or landscaping over the property line (or threats to do so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area