Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 04:39 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times

Advertisements

Why don't they consolidate the city of Phoenix into a city-county, like Kansas City or Denver? The remaining suburbs can be Hohokam, Mogollon and O'odham counties. I'd also go a step beyond that and split up Yavapai county and Coconino. Way too big and spread out areas that don't represent everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 05:02 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
I looked at the authors of the bill and see what they were up to in the past. The 1st name was recently appointed Rep. Jake Hoffman. With Google on my side, read about him here https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ed/5940817002/

Hoffman was banned from various social media platforms because he was caught "engaging in "coordinated inauthentic behavior" — essentially trolling by posting comments that appeared to be real people commenting on news and sharing right-wing opinions." More specifically, the Washington Post broke the story that Jake Hoffman was paying teenagers to post baseless conspiracy theories aimed at getting President Donald Trump reelected. Read about it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...49c_story.html

Another yahoo is Rep. John Kavanaugh. This white geezer from Fountain Hills has been trying to "white-wash" AZ for years. His latest attempt was a video of him standing in front of a hotel where refugees were staying claiming that the resettled Afghan's to Scottsdale were not vetted. Well, now he is backing down from that latest xenophobic stance. https://www.azfamily.com/news/politi...95a59f506.html

Next, is Rep Travis Grantham who grew up in Scottsdale with his silver spoon (his dad owned an aviation company). He's all lathered up about voter "fraud". Read about him here https://coppercourier.com/story/losi...surrectionist/ He is all about making sure the election is "fair" for his side. According to the linked article, "Grantham made the baseless claim that mail-in ballots should not automatically be sent to voters as it makes it “easier to cheat.”

I stopped researching the rest of these idiots. Because I know what I will find. Recognize that 3 of the 4 counties were drawn to represent Republicans. And therefore, these boys have an alterior motive. And I also know that whoever is running against my Rep Kavanaugh, will get my vote because I'm voting against this loud-mouth.
AZ needs to purge these ass-clowns

Old 02-10-2022, 06:30 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I looked at the authors of the bill and see what they were up to in the past. The 1st name was recently appointed Rep. Jake Hoffman. With Google on my side, read about him here https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ed/5940817002/

Hoffman was banned from various social media platforms because he was caught "engaging in "coordinated inauthentic behavior" — essentially trolling by posting comments that appeared to be real people commenting on news and sharing right-wing opinions." More specifically, the Washington Post broke the story that Jake Hoffman was paying teenagers to post baseless conspiracy theories aimed at getting President Donald Trump reelected. Read about it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...49c_story.html

Another yahoo is Rep. John Kavanaugh. This white geezer from Fountain Hills has been trying to "white-wash" AZ for years. His latest attempt was a video of him standing in front of a hotel where refugees were staying claiming that the resettled Afghan's to Scottsdale were not vetted. Well, now he is backing down from that latest xenophobic stance. https://www.azfamily.com/news/politi...95a59f506.html

Next, is Rep Travis Grantham who grew up in Scottsdale with his silver spoon (his dad owned an aviation company). He's all lathered up about voter "fraud". Read about him here https://coppercourier.com/story/losi...surrectionist/ He is all about making sure the election is "fair" for his side. According to the linked article, "Grantham made the baseless claim that mail-in ballots should not automatically be sent to voters as it makes it “easier to cheat.”

I stopped researching the rest of these idiots. Because I know what I will find. Recognize that 3 of the 4 counties were drawn to represent Republicans. And therefore, these boys have an alterior motive. And I also know that whoever is running against my Rep Kavanaugh, will get my vote because I'm voting against this loud-mouth.
Yeah I rejected this the nanosecond I saw Kavanaugh but I felt like it’d lead to a good discussion at least here.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:17 AM

4,072 posts, read 5,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
<snip>

You know what would fix this bi-partisan crap? Ranked Voting. No need for primaries, all the candidates on one ballot. Moderates and Independents would finally have a choice rather than Dumb or Dumber.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:28 AM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
It looks like a solid idea from a geographic standpoint. Maricopa County is oversized and it's obvious why - it wasn't a very populated area until relatively recently. But now population has grown and continues to grow to the point where there's 4+ million people in the county. It's been a common process in American history to carve out new counties when population grows significantly. If you look at historical maps of Midwestern and Eastern states you'll see that often massive initial counties were subdivided to form today's counties. It makes sense for citizens as well - a smaller county is more able to direct its resources in a targeted way that benefits its residents. The less distance between residents and local government the better for local democracy.

Generally speaking I don't see how you could oppose it unless you're someone working for Maricopa County administering the money brought in by this enormous Metropolitan area. And I suspect that this is ultimately why there'd be opposition to it. The folks running Maricopa County wouldn't appreciate their revenue being downsized along with their county boundaries.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It looks like a solid idea from a geographic standpoint. Maricopa County is oversized and it's obvious why - it wasn't a very populated area until relatively recently. But now population has grown and continues to grow to the point where there's 4+ million people in the county. It's been a common process in American history to carve out new counties when population grows significantly. If you look at historical maps of Midwestern and Eastern states you'll see that often massive initial counties were subdivided to form today's counties. It makes sense for citizens as well - a smaller county is more able to direct its resources in a targeted way that benefits its residents. The less distance between residents and local government the better for local democracy.

Generally speaking I don't see how you could oppose it unless you're someone working for Maricopa County administering the money brought in by this enormous Metropolitan area. And I suspect that this is ultimately why there'd be opposition to it. The folks running Maricopa County wouldn't appreciate their revenue being downsized along with their county boundaries.
I haven’t heard one good reason for this. All I’ve heard is Maricopa County is big and should be smaller. Why? What is it doing that is problematic? Also the proposed names are dumb. Why do we need multiple Mogollons, Tohono Oodhams etc.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:10 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I haven’t heard one good reason for this. All I’ve heard is Maricopa County is big and should be smaller. Why? What is it doing that is problematic? Also the proposed names are dumb. Why do we need multiple Mogollons, Tohono Oodhams etc.
My thoughts exactly. The county does not provide many services to people anyway as most of them like police, zoning, fire, water and sewer etc are provided by the cities. In contrast to Pima county, almost everyone in Maricopa lives inside of a city boundary. Balkanization of what few services the county does provide to all residents is just a dumb idea being pushed for political reasons.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:46 AM

962 posts, read 470,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think it is imperative to live in a county with people who have your shared values.

For example, I am triple vaxxed, but I want to live in a county where the leadership prioritizes freedom. No mask mandates, no vaccine mandates, not ever! You do you. I don’t want “the man” dictating any of that nonsense.

...But the bottom line is that people in Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe absolutely do not share my values and I don’t want to live in a county where they dominate policy. I want separation from them.

1) Why imperative? To whom? The most desirable and successful cities are also the most diverse.
2) You do most likely have shared values. What you don't share is ideology.
3) One of the new counties could be a cult compound (sorry - I meant "enclave") for you with no diversity and no dissent. You want separation? You could even build a wall around it!
4) What about the people already living in your new "Freedom Zone" who believe in science and want vaccines and mandates and gun control and zoning laws and want a little government to keep the nit-wits under control?
5) Sure, they're free to move, but so are you. And that wouldn't require re-drawing all the maps. Especially since...
6) Your response to people who move to AZ from more liberal areas and complain about the state is to tell them to move, so if you don't like the county...

Quote:
Texas has 254 counties. A state similar to Arizona in population, Washington state, has 39 counties.

If this change were to go through, that would put AZ at only 18.

CA has 58. NY has 57. GA has 152. RI has 5. So what? Is it a size/area thing? Plenty of larger counties - 5 in AZ alone. A population thing? LA county has more than double the population of Maricopa, is way more diverse, and there's no "break it up" movement there.

The smallest county in AZ, Greenlee, has a couple hundred county employees for only 9000-odd residents. So how many tax-funded leeches would we need for these new, significantly larger counties? Or do you envision a libertarian paradise where no government is necessary.

Quote:
I think it is good for the state as a whole. Instead of forcing people to do what they are doing in Phoenix, why not give everyone the freedom to live how they want to live in their own enclaves (counties).

On the flip side, I’m sure people in Phoenix would prefer to run their own enclave without interference from people like me.

It’s a win-win for everyone involved.

We could have a libertarian county, and a Mormon county, and a Hispanic county, and a liberal eastern transplant county, and shut the poor off in a county behind a mountain somewhere out of sight, and a patch of empty desert for a homeless county, and a Catholic Estonian dog breeder county... How many more to get to 254 like Texas?

Quote:
Other examples are CRT being taught in schools
1) It isn't
2) You don't even know what it is.
3) What you don't want taught is called History.

Quote:
But you just know that that’s not enough for one side. They want to completely dominate everything. They can’t stand the fact that there might be areas of Arizona that don’t think like them.

Projection, much? Or just a one-way street?

Old 02-10-2022, 11:49 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

Good in theory. In actuality, not so much. County governments are not very responsive to the individual voter/resident.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:01 PM

6,139 posts, read 3,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
1) Why imperative? To whom? The most desirable and successful cities are also the most diverse.
2) You do most likely have shared values. What you don't share is ideology.
3) One of the new counties could be a cult compound (sorry - I meant "enclave") for you with no diversity and no dissent. You want separation? You could even build a wall around it!
4) What about the people already living in your new "Freedom Zone" who believe in science and want vaccines and mandates and gun control and zoning laws and want a little government to keep the nit-wits under control?
5) Sure, they're free to move, but so are you. And that wouldn't require re-drawing all the maps. Especially since...
6) Your response to people who move to AZ from more liberal areas and complain about the state is to tell them to move, so if you don't like the county...

CA has 58. NY has 57. GA has 152. RI has 5. So what? Is it a size/area thing? Plenty of larger counties - 5 in AZ alone. A population thing? LA county has more than double the population of Maricopa, is way more diverse, and there's no "break it up" movement there.

The smallest county in AZ, Greenlee, has a couple hundred county employees for only 9000-odd residents. So how many tax-funded leeches would we need for these new, significantly larger counties? Or do you envision a libertarian paradise where no government is necessary.

We could have a libertarian county, and a Mormon county, and a Hispanic county, and a liberal eastern transplant county, and shut the poor off in a county behind a mountain somewhere out of sight, and a patch of empty desert for a homeless county, and a Catholic Estonian dog breeder county... How many more to get to 254 like Texas?

1) It isn't
2) You don't even know what it is.
3) What you don't want taught is called History.

Projection, much? Or just a one-way street?
Your response actually does nothing for me, except make me want to move to Texas or Florida, which I’ve been contemplating. Not only do I not want to live in the same county as you, I don’t want to live in the same state.

Unfortunately for you, the Governor banned CRT in Arizona for now, but don’t worry. The next Democratic governor will allow it, and this state will be a Democratic one, because many of us have had it and are fleeing the state. You can even call it “history” , not CRT, so you can feel better about it, I guess?

As far as gun control, I’m sure that’s coming to Arizona as well. Soon, the only people with guns will be criminals, the cartels, and the government.

Lastly, feel free to mask up for eternity. You know, because of “science”.

I’m hoping we can make some sort of stand in Arizona, keep the state from becoming the lunatic left, but I’m not very optimistic about it. Having a county just for like minded people who think like I do is appealing, but I doubt it will happen. That’s why I have an exit plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area