Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 788 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Phoenix area and started researching about internet option in the area.
My husband is in IT working remotely and needs high speed fiber optic internet, minimum of 100Mbps download and upload speed.
Centurylink seems to have faster download speed compared to others but their upload speed is very slow(max was 35 Mbps from research I did).
I was wondering if anybody here is in IT working remotely and has fast fiber optic internet for work. Not sure if there’s any business internet option we can use. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 03:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
The internet situation is:

You have two ISPs:

CenturyLink and Cox Cable. Both are available almost anywhere.

CenturyLink is DSL and in a lot of areas has speeds in the 10-50mbps range up and down. Some areas CenturyLink put in fiber with higher speeds. My office is CenturyLink fiber. Its expensive but no issues.

Cox is cable and some fiber. It’s everywhere and you can get pretty close to fiber speeds in areas without fiber already installed. I have cox cable at home. No real issues with it either.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:08 PM

534 posts, read 480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

You have two ISPs:

CenturyLink is DSL and in a lot of areas has speeds in the 10-50mbps range up and down. Some areas CenturyLink put in fiber with higher speeds. My office is CenturyLink fiber. Its expensive but no issues.

Cox is cable and some fiber. It’s everywhere and you can get pretty close to fiber speeds in areas without fiber already installed. I have cox cable at home. No real issues with it either.
CTL would be up to 100mbps down for DSL as it's pair bonded.

My CTL is 80 mb down and 10 up. Sadly no CTL fiber here yet.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
CTL would be up to 100mbps down for DSL as it's pair bonded.

My CTL is 80 mb down and 10 up. Sadly no CTL fiber here yet.
Not everywhere. I’m in Tempe and the max I can get with CTL is 10/1

Old 02-21-2022, 08:52 PM

534 posts, read 480,308 times
Quote:
Not everywhere. I’m in Tempe and the max I can get with CTL is 10/1
Yeah, hence the "Up to 100".

When I was in Scottsdale, it was 40/4. Here in Phoenix, it's 80/10

Old 02-22-2022, 01:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,419,895 times
CTL was a joke compared to the cable company in Wyoming.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:12 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Really depends on where you are living. Cox can get their Gigablast product even over Cat3 cable lines using G.Fast. CTL has to have FTTH available at your address if you try and use them. We tried their bonded product and it never got close to advertised speeds so we stuck with Cox...which is stupid expensive, has data caps (unless you pay for their Unlimited package at almost $200/mo) and periodically slows down to T1 speeds. Business products are not available at residential addresses so their Fiber+ product is out of the question although you may be able to get Quantum Fiber from the small biz group if you are in a SFH. If you are in an apartment, the best bet would be Cox.

Recently installed WeLink and so far we are getting over 500/500 as a Super Anchor...it bogged down yesterday but that is because they are still fine tuning our neighborhood.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:30 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Too bad Google Fiber ceased operations here.
https://kjzz.org/content/390786/goog...ations-phoenix

Old 02-22-2022, 08:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:

You have two ISPs:

Verizon and T-Mobile 5G home internet is now available in many parts of metro Phoenix as well. Verizon claims up to 1GB down and 50 up. I haven't researched T-Mobile as much but I'd venture to guess it's comparable speeds.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Too bad Google Fiber ceased operations here.
https://kjzz.org/content/390786/goog...ations-phoenix
With 5GUW rolling out everywhere and offering speeds rivaling fiber but no requirement for cable I'm thinking Google sees the writing on the wall. Fiber/Cable connections are probably going to be a thing of the past in the not too distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area