Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 05:08 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grin123 View Post
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country. For a major city like that in the ranks with NY, LA, and CHi, Phoenix downtown is f*cking barren. Philly and Seattle are smaller and have far superior cores. Anybody whose paying top dollar to live in downtown is a fool.

And yes you can get a good spot in downtown chi for 2k. Chicago is the most affordable world class urban city in the world (Philly also).
Chicago will always be cheap because the weather can’t be fixed and a large percentage of people just won’t deal with cold and gloom like that.

When was the last time you were in downtown Phoenix, including the Roosevelt area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 05:12 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
No but Phoenix is suppose to be affordable. There's nothing in downtown Phoenix, its barren. For that same price you can have a highrise in the Loop, Chicago overlooking one of the world's greatest skyline, the river, and Lake Michigan. Oh yeah and defintely dont need car in downtown Chicago. Good luck going car-free in Phoenix, everything is spread out.

Phoenix is losing its #1 appeal which was a cheaper alternative to major cities.
Phoenix is supposed to be affordable? LOL

That's not how it works. People are moving here not Chicago, supply and demand my guy.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:15 PM

94 posts, read 61,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Chicago will always be cheap because the weather can’t be fixed and a large percentage of people just won’t deal with cold and gloom like that.

When was the last time you were in downtown Phoenix, including the Roosevelt area?

I don't live in Phoenix but I visit it alot and yes I've seen Roosevelt Row. Again, Phoenix is a major city, Roosevelt Row is absolutely nothing special lmao. A couple bars, lots of new generic 5 over 1 apartments, and some stores, so cool *sarcasm*. Every city has an area like this. It's like the only walkable area in the Phoenix metro and on of the few areas you actually see a group of people outside walking so I guess its special for Phoenix but its peers got way better neighborhoods. Sixth st in Austin is way better and thats a much smaller city.

I'm not hating on Phoenix. I'm just saying the current prices are not reflecting the area's worth. Sorry its the truth. I definitely the appeal for the city, but for downtown? no.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Phoenix is supposed to be affordable? LOL

That's not how it works. People are moving here not Chicago, supply and demand my guy.

I mean yeah I understand its fast growing, but a city has to have offerings for it to be expensive. Los Angeles has a mediterranean climate with perfect year round weather, great neighborhoods, booming public transit, theme parks, major sports that the locals actually care about unlike Phoenix (suns excluded because they're extremely good this year), beaches, walkability, nice architecture, etc. New York is expensive for self explanatory reasons.

Phoenix is an oven year round with a couple months of nice weather in the winter, basically the opposite of Chicago. For being the 5th largest city, this city is BORING. 95% of this city is suburbia/bad urban planning. The perpetual browness everywhere gets old and you have to take a drive to see some greenery. All the houses look the same, no unique neighborhoods, exploding housing costs, I dont get the appeal.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I don't live in Phoenix but I visit it alot and yes I've seen Roosevelt Row. Again, Phoenix is a major city, Roosevelt Row is absolutely nothing special lmao. A couple bars, lots of new generic 5 over 1 apartments, and some stores, so cool *sarcasm*. Every city has an area like this. It's like the only walkable area in the Phoenix metro and on of the few areas you actually see a group of people outside walking so I guess its special for Phoenix but its peers got way better neighborhoods. Sixth st in Austin is way better and thats a much smaller city.

I'm not hating on Phoenix. I'm just saying the current prices are not reflecting the area's worth. Sorry its the truth. I definitely the appeal for the city, but for downtown? no.
There are far more than a couple bars, restaurants, galleries, shops, and events. Also two major league sports teams and all the attractions that those venues draw. $2k/mo is nothing for all that and it still represents strong value. Again, what’s the alternative if one’s life is in Phoenix? Saving a couple hundred and living in the most average and bland suburbs? Downtown’s value proposition is strong for now.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I mean yeah I understand its fast growing, but a city has to have offerings for it to be expensive. Los Angeles has a mediterranean climate with perfect year round weather, great neighborhoods, booming public transit, theme parks, major sports that the locals actually care about unlike Phoenix (suns excluded because they're extremely good this year), beaches, walkability, nice architecture, etc. New York is expensive for self explanatory reasons.

Phoenix is an oven year round with a couple months of nice weather in the winter, basically the opposite of Chicago. For being the 5th largest city, this city is BORING. 95% of this city is suburbia/bad urban planning. The perpetual browness everywhere gets old and you have to take a drive to see some greenery. All the houses look the same, no unique neighborhoods, exploding housing costs, I dont get the appeal.
It doesn’t have to be anything that you think it does. In order for it to be “expensive” (to me, it’s not at all), all it has to have is strong demand. And it does. Your opinion, like mine, is irrelevant when it comes to pricing.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLGXvFsmAqo

This is Roosevelt Row LOL its empty. I don't think you guys have left Arizona and actually travelled to different cities if you think Roosevelt Row (apparently the most urban spot in Phoenix) is special. Ugly new generic apartments, surface lots, with no foot traffic. 5th largest city in the country btw in the most hottest area in the city. Stop it.

To be fair, that video was in 2020. Here's a more recent one. Literally looks the same. Downtown Phoenix should not be that expensive. It's just like downtown Detroit being super expensive, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aou0aGx6xww

Old 03-09-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It doesn’t have to be anything that you think it does. In order for it to be “expensive” (to me, it’s not at all), all it has to have is strong demand. And it does. Your opinion, like mine, is irrelevant when it comes to pricing.

Eh..we can agree to disagree. You're right about the demand, they're building these cause people will pay.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:33 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:

This is Roosevelt Row LOL its empty. I don't think you guys have left Arizona and actually travelled to different cities if you think Roosevelt Row (apparently the most urban spot in Phoenix) is special. Ugly new generic apartments, surface lots, with no foot traffic. 5th largest city in the country btw in the most hottest area in the city. Stop it.

To be fair, that video was in 2020. Here's a more recent one. Literally looks the same. Downtown Phoenix should not be that expensive. It's just like downtown Detroit being super expensive, why?

How are you being fair? You’re criticizing foot traffic during the worst of the pandemic.

A global jet setter like you surely has better things to do than criticize rent increases in a city you don’t live in. The rents across the board in Phoenix have grown tremendously. 2k for downtown is a good value when the most boring far flung suburbs are commanding 1.5k+

Old 03-09-2022, 05:34 PM

409 posts, read 398,487 times
Quote:

Yeah I was down there the other week, had not been in like a year, even mid day and the weekend it was pretty dead. Sure restaurants will be busy but there still is little foot traffic. Roosevelt and 3rd street is truly the only area that seems to have some life to it, the rest is bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area