Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,286,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
OP in Arizona you can get paid for being a caregiver, is that happening?

Have you considered moving to other states? Just so you are aware other states also provide healthcare insurance and usually it is better than Arizona. Arizona is a low tax state and with that comes less social services and less robust social services. Have you considered moving? I mean you are at your lowest point in life and really don't sound to have any reason to stay tied to arizona so why not make a move to a place that'll provide services for both you and your mom? Unless you've got a drug problem and/or lengthy criminal history (heck I think Washington state would even provide you with services then) then you should qualify based upon what you've shared. If you can straggle up enough money to get on a flight and move to one of these locations and then have like a week or two of motel payments ready I think you'd be fine.

As for the job... I'm not sure what to say because it's vague what sort of limitation you would require. If you feel you're qualified to be a truck driver then why not work at Costco where they provide solid healthcare benefits and good pay? I've been pretty close to rock bottom and one thing I did not do is give up. It sucks to work crappy jobs and it sucks to report to people who have no business being a manager but you do what you gotta do and grit your teeth because you refuse to give up. Then you get a better job. Then you get some sort of education/training and you work your butt off. You do the best you can with what you have. I'll stop but the point is a lot of people have been near the bottom so don't beat yourself up.
Agreed. Look into Arion Healthcare. They will pay you to care for your mother. It doesn't take much work to get up and running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 12:07 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,093,007 times
Phoenix housing is not cheap. And I'll guess that Arizona is not one of the better states when it comes to looking for assistance (I honestly don't know, however).

Living in a car, especially for an older person, is an act of desperation. I certainly would not set this as a goal. If you feel you could handle driving a truck, even with the scoliosis, that seems like a reasonable path to purse. But you need a place to land while doing job applications and interviews. Even sleeping in a shelter is better than living in a car, as a temporary solution.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:07 PM

13,921 posts, read 8,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The other day when it was 108, I was on my way somewhere and -- as usual -- saw people out begging in the 108 degree, sunny weather. I would think almost any job would be better than that. But many of them don't.
I suspect a good number who panhandle do so to feed a meth habit. Can't hold a job or keep a roof over your head if one is constantly strung out. Meth is a serious problem in AZ. It's cheap, strong and readily available.

However, I also suspect the extreme summers keep the numbers down. If you're going to live on the streets.... Cal is next door.

On the other hand maybe meth is cheaper here than in Cal. which makes AZ more attractive despite the summer weather.

Last edited by john3232; 06-03-2022 at 01:01 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 12:14 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,953,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If they can make more money at a Mcjob - why would they not do it?

Clearly they're making more begging.

Or there's something preventing them from getting a Mcjob (i.e. social skills, mental illness, drug addiction, etc.)
Yes they do. I had a friend once at University 15 years ago she was the daughter of a Fortune 500 heiress. An heiress that was the daughter of one of the founders of one of the main companies in the United States. She went to the best private schools. But her mom was very overbearing so she became a street person with a street name and hit the rails and the roads, became a heroin addict, came back home as a prodigal child, cleaned up her act the rules are... long story short she got a master's degree, got married, etc.

She told me that she would regularly make $200 a day "spare changing" downtown. (For privacy reasons I will not disclose the city or the state.) This would have been 20 years ago. Think what sparechangers might be making nowadays. Nevertheless, it's a dead end street.

I do not think the OP is the sparechanger type. Sparechangers probably don't ask for help, apply for jobs or take care of their disabled parent.

The only job that would maybe pay for an apartment and all the other bills would be a trucking job. Someone is not going to be able to hold down all that with a McJob or even a grocery store job. Not in Arizona, not even most states.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:43 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,216,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If they can make more money at a Mcjob - why would they not do it?

Or there's something preventing them from getting a Mcjob (i.e. social skills, mental illness, drug addiction, etc.)
OR...... They don't want someone to "tell them what to do". People won't go into homeless shelters because they don't want people to tell them what to do.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:59 PM

13,921 posts, read 8,098,885 times
Comments (today) - Next-door website:

There is a homeless man on the corner of power and baseline. It seems that he is walking around with broken sandals. I’m not able to make it back over in that direction today but if anyone has a pair of shoes that they can donate to him that will be in that area and can drop off to him. His feet look to be of average male size probably around a 9 or 10. The shoes he was wearing were four sizes too big. His toenails are also very overgrown so if anyone also has a grooming kit that may be helpful. If you can stop by today please comment below, if not I will see if I can find him tomorrow.

We may be growing as a town but it still “takes a village”. Let’s help one another!

If the person is holding a sign saying “Help a Vet” ask him for his VA card.if he doesn’t have one tell him to bring it back next time. I carry mine always.

I've seen some of the same people there the last couple years. Not homeless, just panhandlers

I have a brother that is a proud panhandler. He will make himself as poor and sad looking as possible to make working people feel sorry for him and give him money. He would go barefoot in the AZ HEAT and get blisters just to further his "please help me" plight.

I went by there with some shoes but he wasn't there.

God Bless you for being so aware to his situation.

The corners of power and southern and power and the freeway are scam artists feeding off the goodwill of others. I see some many people give these “homeless” money, 20’s, they make a **** ton of money off people who are trying to redeem themselves through charity. The only way to stop this is to give to the services and churches that can actually help them. Not give them cash to go get drunk, buy cigarettes and drugs. If you want to help, help stop the scam artists and start helping legitimate organizations.

I must say, it’s amazing that such a well intended post will still offer some an opportunity to debate and argue.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,526,569 times
we cant help him if he does not come back and tell us where is his crowdfund site.
He did say he wants a trucking job,

Old 06-04-2022, 06:49 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,953,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
OR...... They don't want someone to "tell them what to do". People won't go into homeless shelters because they don't want people to tell them what to do.
"Some" people. Not all.

OP does not fall into that category. He's looking for a job. He clearly doesn't mind being told what to do - in this case by an employer.

Homeless shelters do not have adequate provision for people in his mother's situation

Old 06-04-2022, 03:54 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,217,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Wow. I'm disabled (lungs and hips) and I don't want to be disabled!
Ok, I bite as you called me out.

First of all, nobody wants to be disable.

We are talking a legally recognized disability which guarantees certain rights, including financial rights, provided by taxpayers.

The OP can’t be disable - legally or otherwise as “he is going to become a driver” according to him - which is impossible if he right niw can’t get a job due to a bad back allegedly.

Quote:
I guess that makes them a scammer and a criminal.
I guess it does as this is what you advocate:

Quote:
…I know plenty of older people (over 50) who hurt their back as a younger person for whatever reason. They are on SSI. ….They don't have enough money to live on and they can't take a job or they would lose what little they receive. They ahve to rely on under the table jobs to make ends meet.
^^^That is fraud!
You are either disable or not. You either can work or you can’t.
If you can’t work - the taxpayers provide you money to go on, not rolling in dough, just enough so you have some dignity, nothing beyond necessities.
If you can work under the table - then you shouldn’t be on disability! Once again, it is fraud and makes that person like you said - a scammer.

Quote:
If some of you can't find it in your heart to have some compassion for people who are down and keep getting knocked down when they get up, don't make someone feel even worse than they already do. Just don't post it. Move along if you have nothing tangible or helpful to contribute, or nice to say. It makes you look really bad though I know you don't think so.

If you've never been in his position, don't judge. You have no idea how hard it is. And you should be grateful for your easier lives instead of judging. Just because you worked hard doesn't mean other people didn't.

Too many people in this society don't understand when someone gets knocked down, and every time they get up, they get knocked down again. They actually think that it's the person's fault every time it happens and that is not always true.
Supporting people on disability, elderly people, people of low income, kids by providing free or very inexpensive housing, free healthcare, free education, free cash for food and emergencies, free heating assistance, electricity, transportation, etc is our compassion- we voted for that, we often do make sacrifices to pay higher taxes to help people in need..

It is not the free money falling from the sky in your lap or come “ from the (faceless)government”.

It is paid by me, by others here in the form of income taxes, property taxes, business taxes, myriad of other taxes every time we open our wallet.
We have to pay our own way as well as yours..
It isn’t enough of a compassion for you?

Quote:

Everyone knows there are scammers everywhere. We're not stupid and we don't need to be reminded. Anyway, the OP was chased off and probably won't be back. Great job being helpful to someone who was asking for SUGGESTIONS and IDEAS. And what's wrong with asking for a vehicle someone might be done with? Or generous enough to want to help? I suppose generous people who would donate a vehicle are suckers.
Yes, those people who could “donate” whatever they want to whoever they want even to the scammers.
It is a free country.
Feel free to help. Oh, I forgot, you can’t.
You want to be good and compassionate when someone else is actually doing the heavy lifting - paying!
I’d rather see people who donate to do it locally to people they know for a fact that need extra help.

It isn’t right to make every website a begging site for scammers though.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:09 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,216,074 times
Quote:

OP does not fall into that category. He's looking for a job. He clearly doesn't mind being told what to do - in this case by an employer.

Homeless shelters do not have adequate provision for people in his mother's situation
The conversation shifted and I wasn't talking about the op. More specifically:
phetaroi wrote:
Quote:
"The other day when it was 108, I was on my way somewhere and -- as usual -- saw people out begging in the 108 degree, sunny weather. I would think almost any job would be better than that. But many of them don't."

And Bob said:
"If they can make more money at a Mcjob - why would they not do it?

Or there's something preventing them from getting a Mcjob (i.e. social skills, mental illness, drug addiction, etc.)"

And I said: "OR...... They don't want someone to "tell them what to do". People won't go into homeless shelters because they don't want people to tell them what to do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area