Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 13,338 times

Advertisements

Like the title says.My mom is disabled and can't really walk and I have Scoliosis and we have no car thanks to Covid.We just found out our rent is going up in a month and will be homeless here in Tucson.We live off of 700.00 at the moment and so far no jobs have gotten back to me.So i was trying to save up for an air cooled VW since they are economical and it would at least be a roof over our head while I work until I could get us into an apt.Employment here is not too good especially when you have to rely on the bus.Not too many full time jobs I can do due to my back issues and part time is not going to suffice since I just found out I have a month to find work unless I can find at least 30hrs a week but most are a lot less.My job prior to losing our car was security guard and I could do that but no one will hire me without transportation and most job sites are not bus friendly in one way or another.

We NEED to stay in AZ as my moms medical coverage covers her other medical issues such as asthma and back issues.My main goal is to get into truck driving after I can get three years of employment behind me(Three years is required by federal law since 9/11)

I know of the Human Services Campus where we can get mail and such but need somewhere that we can be in an area since my mom really can not walk that is not going to be too bad of an area.We are the last in our family and do not know anyone else.I hopped that by the time our rent went up I would have had the money saved and got the car and then went from there.

So if anyone knows where to be in Phoenix please let me know.Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 11:35 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
So what social service agencies have you tried to contact already? Are you and your Mom not eligible? Is your Mom collecting SS disability and SSI? That should make her eligible for all kinds of assistance. One place I know that might help is:

https://umom.org/find-help/

Old 06-01-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
So what social service agencies have you tried to contact already? Are you and your Mom not eligible? Is your Mom collecting SS disability and SSI? That should make her eligible for all kinds of assistance. One place I know that might help is:

Thank you for the info.I keep trying to work even though I have pretty much all the symptoms of colon cancer.The only way for me to get seen is to get state insurance which is AHCCCS.All the jobs I have had do not pay enough for me to afford health insurance and pay bills and such.The problem with that is in order to qualify for AHCCCS you have to make very little to qualify.My scoliosis is bad enough and in the last four years it has taken a turn for the very worst and is not getting any better.i am at a point where I am really about to collapse.And now the colonoscopy I have an appointment for will be canceled as we will either be homeless or if I do find work will not qualify for the insurance.Out of pocket is not too bad at 2k but now every cent I make if I do find work will have to go towards a car.I choose an older VW as I did take/do automotive before my back gave out and prefer an easy to work on car(if needed) and the maintenance is low key at least for me bad back and all.

We tried calling legal aid at first because the building we are in is ran very illegally.So we have audio/video along with pictures as proof of what we have experienced along with sending out certified letters/police reports and all we are told is we can have our lease terminated but then we would have to move which we can not as our income at the moment is very low.My mom is retired and receiving retirement and she is not able to also add disability with that and was told if she did qualify it would only add an additional thirty dollars a month.

I have taken care of my mom for the last 26 years and our bad luck started in '03 when we first became homeless.We moved around a few times where the work is but as soon as we become stable enough for me to return to school.....we are back at step one which is seeking another area where there is gainful employment.We have used PrimaVera Foundation and others like it to help with a move in the past and to help with bills and other sources like it but are told unless our income is more they can not help and funding is tight as too many people now are in need.It seems our situation is what it is.So we need to get out of Tucson where there are more jobs but this is going to be bad as we both are so beat up I am seriously believing we will literally die on the streets.

We have no manager on property or contact with the leasing company and pay our rent online.We have transients trying to enter our unit all hours of the night and day.I have had the police here multiple times and all they say is it is up to the building owners to attend to such issues....I have a month to find employment that is full time and hope the car I need is there and at the price I need it at.But at this rate I seriously doubt it and am on here seeking where to go.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post

Thank you for the info.I keep trying to work even though I have pretty much all the symptoms of colon cancer.The only way for me to get seen is to get state insurance which is AHCCCS.All the jobs I have had do not pay enough for me to afford health insurance and pay bills and such.The problem with that is in order to qualify for AHCCCS you have to make very little to qualify.My scoliosis is bad enough and in the last four years it has taken a turn for the very worst and is not getting any better.i am at a point where I am really about to collapse.And now the colonoscopy I have an appointment for will be canceled as we will either be homeless or if I do find work will not qualify for the insurance.Out of pocket is not too bad at 2k but now every cent I make if I do find work will have to go towards a car.I choose an older VW as I did take/do automotive before my back gave out and prefer an easy to work on car(if needed) and the maintenance is low key at least for me bad back and all.

We tried calling legal aid at first because the building we are in is ran very illegally.So we have audio/video along with pictures as proof of what we have experienced along with sending out certified letters/police reports and all we are told is we can have our lease terminated but then we would have to move which we can not as our income at the moment is very low.My mom is retired and receiving retirement and she is not able to also add disability with that and was told if she did qualify it would only add an additional thirty dollars a month.

I have taken care of my mom for the last 26 years and our bad luck started in '03 when we first became homeless.We moved around a few times where the work is but as soon as we become stable enough for me to return to school.....we are back at step one which is seeking another area where there is gainful employment.We have used PrimaVera Foundation and others like it to help with a move in the past and to help with bills and other sources like it but are told unless our income is more they can not help and funding is tight as too many people now are in need.It seems our situation is what it is.So we need to get out of Tucson where there are more jobs but this is going to be bad as we both are so beat up I am seriously believing we will literally die on the streets.

We have no manager on property or contact with the leasing company and pay our rent online.We have transients trying to enter our unit all hours of the night and day.I have had the police here multiple times and all they say is it is up to the building owners to attend to such issues....I have a month to find employment that is full time and hope the car I need is there and at the price I need it at.But at this rate I seriously doubt it and am on here seeking where to go.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:45 AM

Feels extremely bad man.I have soo failed my mom and at life.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:14 AM

And before anyone mentions it,please no crowd funding sites as I said we do not know anyone and are the last in our family.I tried it and yeah,it does not work unless friends and family are there to donate.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:05 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Have you and or your Mom applied for AHCCCS and been rejected?

Old 06-01-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Have you and or your Mom applied for AHCCCS and been rejected?
Hi.We both have it.She needs it to literally live as she has asthma issues that are bad and for pain shots for her back.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:25 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,272,512 times
Sounds like you both should qualify for SSDI.

Also, if you have insurance, you should get this potential colon cancer checked out.

To be honest, your whole situation sounds like a mess right now. You need to apply for some Section 8 housing somewhere, look into SSDI, find a job at Fry's or something to bring in some money, and get your health in order. You're headed for a miserable summer if not.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Sounds like you both should qualify for SSDI.

Also, if you have insurance, you should get this potential colon cancer checked out.

To be honest, your whole situation sounds like a mess right now. You need to apply for some Section 8 housing somewhere, look into SSDI, find a job at Fry's or something to bring in some money, and get your health in order. You're headed for a miserable summer if not.
My mom does not qualify and as bad as my back is x-rays only show Scoliosis with arthritis and the doctor won't do an MRI.In the interim I need work if I can't get these doctors to help.Section 8 has at least a 5 to 6 year wait we were told.My initial Dr appointment to see the Dr isn't until July.....a month after our rent goes up so I need work way before that which will cancel out getting checked for cancer.

I agree even a PT job to stay afloat will work.But here it is slow and companies take weeks to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area