Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 01:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
That's the part I was trying to explain to a particular poster. It may not be a big deal to some, but I'm with you it sucks having to drive 2hrs or more just to get out of the heat. Yes other places in the country even that's not possible. But it makes for a very LONG day 2hrs there and 2hrs back. Two cities that come to mind that have very high elevations - 10k ft or higher that are 45 minutes or so from the core, Tucson, AZ (Summerhaven,Mt Lemmon) and Las Vegas, NV. Phoenix doesn't have anything near that close by. The tallest peak, Brown's Peak in the Four Peaks is the tallest elevation in Maricopa county is only 7,700' or so. And it's a long trip up there and requires 4WD.
Yeah it's a real struggle driving in an air conditioned vehicle for 90 minutes to get out of the heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 08:55 AM

63 posts, read 73,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Exactly! There's a big difference between sitting on the patio in the middle of the day and exerting oneself in the direct sunlight. I'd really like to see how some of these people would like the heat if they had to be outside doing hard, physical labor. Take away their A/C completely, and they'd be miserable. Make them drill for their own water, and they'd be complaining beyond belief. Then again, maybe it would be for the better because they might take the drought a little more seriously!
No one asked who likes doing manual labor in the heat - I don't like doing manual labor in 55 degrees either. Manual labor sucks no matter the temps - I'd sure rather do it here than in February in MA, though. And as someone who has done barn labor, I think I'm allowed to say that.

The question was who likes the heat. I like it. If you don't, it doesn't bother me. Why does my liking it make you so upset?

Old 07-27-2022, 06:21 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
It depends on the individual. I'm fairly slim with a low percentage of body fat, and it's very difficult for me to tolerate the summer heat. I just spent a week in Colorado, and had absolutely no issues with the high elevation. The clean air and relatively cool weather made it perfect for hiking. Completely the opposite of Phoenix! Heat tolerance isn't always related to how fit or fat a person is. There's no way in hell I'd be exerting myself in temperatures exceeding 110 (or even 100 degrees). I'm not that stupid.
Then add 20 pounds of fat on your body and see what happens. If you hate the heat now, multiple it. To simulate having extra fat on your body, toss on a thick coat and some long pants. That was my point.

I'm in AZ now to take delivery on some furniture I ordered 9 months ago. I was outside doing some yard work. It is hot yet tolerable. Yesterday was a piece of cake.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:40 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsca View Post
No one asked who likes doing manual labor in the heat - I don't like doing manual labor in 55 degrees either. Manual labor sucks no matter the temps - I'd sure rather do it here than in February in MA, though. And as someone who has done barn labor, I think I'm allowed to say that.

The question was who likes the heat. I like it. If you don't, it doesn't bother me. Why does my liking it make you so upset?
Seems like you're the one getting upset. I'm only expressing my viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Then add 20 pounds of fat on your body and see what happens. If you hate the heat now, multiple it. To simulate having extra fat on your body, toss on a thick coat and some long pants. That was my point.

I'm in AZ now to take delivery on some furniture I ordered 9 months ago. I was outside doing some yard work. It is hot yet tolerable. Yesterday was a piece of cake.
Monsoon is in full force, and temps are lower now than they have been during much of the summer thus far. Highs in the 90s along with some humidity & cloud cover would be more tolerable than 110+ degrees in the direct blazing sunlight ... to me anyway. It may not be so agreeable to others. Depends on the individual.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:53 AM

2,018 posts, read 869,041 times
Quote:
Seems like you're the one getting upset. I'm only expressing my viewpoint.

Monsoon is in full force, and temps are lower now than they have been during much of the summer thus far. Highs in the 90s along with some humidity & cloud cover would be more tolerable than 110+ degrees in the direct blazing sunlight ... to me anyway. It may not be so agreeable to others. Depends on the individual.
90s and humidity with cloud cover is absolutely brutal. The only way to get away from it is to lock yourself in the house with air conditioning. That's no different than locking yourself in the house to escape the cold in winter.
You obviously haven't experienced summer or winter in the North East. Being house bound sucks. 110 degrees in direct blazing sunlight is at least escapable by simply getting in the shade.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly! There's a big difference between sitting on the patio in the middle of the day and exerting oneself in the direct sunlight. I'd really like to see how some of these people would like the heat if they had to be outside doing hard, physical labor. Take away their A/C completely, and they'd be miserable. Make them drill for their own water, and they'd be complaining beyond belief. Then again, maybe it would be for the better because they might take the drought a little more seriously!

It depends on the individual. I'm fairly slim with a low percentage of body fat, and it's very difficult for me to tolerate the summer heat. I just spent a week in Colorado, and had absolutely no issues with the high elevation. The clean air and relatively cool weather made it perfect for hiking. Completely the opposite of Phoenix! Heat tolerance isn't always related to how fit or fat a person is. There's no way in hell I'd be exerting myself in temperatures exceeding 110 (or even 100 degrees). I'm not that stupid.
I see you're still on the water thing ...make people drill their own water? Really? Yawn...

Old 07-29-2022, 12:00 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
90s and humidity with cloud cover is absolutely brutal. The only way to get away from it is to lock yourself in the house with air conditioning. That's no different than locking yourself in the house to escape the cold in winter.

You obviously haven't experienced summer or winter in the North East. Being house bound sucks. 110 degrees in direct blazing sunlight is at least escapable by simply getting in the shade.
It's also that way in the SE. Currently stuck in the house with A/C except for occasional forays outside with the dogs.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:16 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Again, it depends on a person's tolerance. I was outside yesterday when there was plenty of cloud cover & humidity with a high temperature of 90 (unusual for July), and it was fine for me. Far from perfect, but a breath of fresh air compared to 114 degrees with blazing sun. Experience a long string of summers here with those kinds of temperatures, and you might change your tune. I know plenty of long term residents who have.

Quote:
I see you're still on the water thing ...make people drill their own water? Really? Yawn...
Because the "water thing" is essential for life. Try surviving without it.
()

Old 07-30-2022, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Again, it depends on a person's tolerance. I was outside yesterday when there was plenty of cloud cover & humidity with a high temperature of 90 (unusual for July), and it was fine for me. Far from perfect, but a breath of fresh air compared to 114 degrees with blazing sun. Experience a long string of summers here with those kinds of temperatures, and you might change your tune. I know plenty of long term residents who have.

Because the "water thing" is essential for life. Try surviving without it.
()
I agree it's a person's tolerance and
I'm sure it can wear on you. But, have you compared it to the summer and winter in the northeast? Have you lived there? I've spent time in southern Arizona in the summer, not long term, but have hiked in temps at 100 degrees. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't a horrible situation either.

Here we go with the water, again. Yes, we all know it's essential, now what do we do to save it? Make new people dig their own wells? Since you have lived there essentially your whole life, why don't you give people the resources to contact politicians so we can make some noise.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:42 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
This week we had high humidity without rain I was seeing 65% 95F on my weather station when the sun was blocked by clouds it was okay, but when it came out it didn't take long to feel it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area