Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 08:30 AM

63 posts, read 73,502 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying it's NOT bedbugs - we've been checked and are clean! And it's not fleas - I know flea bites and these are not them, and I have flea-combed the cat and she's clean.

For the past month, I have been getting these insanely itchy bites from...something, and I have NO idea what. I moved out here from Boston about a year ago, and this didn't happen last July!

The bites: they look like giant mosquito bites - raised welts with a little dot in the center that sometimes oozes pus when the skin is scratched off. Each welt is maybe slightly smaller than dime sized. And they are CRAZY itchy for at least 2-3 days before they start to subside.

Where: everywhere - I've gotten them on my thighs, upper and lower arms, hands (including right below the nail on my index finger!), my FOREHEAD (thank goodness for bangs!), back, and as of yesterday, butt!

When: seems to usually be in the evening, but sometimes the morning and occasionally the afternoon. I swear one happened at work, as well.

Where: I notice them inside, but it's possible they happen outside, I guess? Only once have I felt it happening - usually I notice the itchiness and then the welt, but never the bite. Yesterday, though, I got home from work, walked into the kitchen, and DEFINITELY felt something bite my butt cheek! :O I think it got trapped under my skirt as I got three bites - before that, it's always been just one bite maybe every other day or so.

I hadn't gotten one for like 5 days, and then over the last 3 days, I got like SEVEN. Which is making me wonder if whatever it is is rain related? Which is why I keep thinking mosquitos, but I never SEE any, and I have never gotten such HUGE bites from mosquitos back in MA.

Any ideas? I feel silly going to the doc to ask - it's not like she can do anything about them other than tell me to use cortisone for the itch, which I have been doing!

Thanks!

And edited to add that it's JUST me getting bitten - boyfriend is not! Neither is the cat!

Last edited by jmsca; 07-21-2022 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 08:41 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsca View Post
Let me start by saying it's NOT bedbugs - we've been checked and are clean! And it's not fleas - I know flea bites and these are not them, and I have flea-combed the cat and she's clean.

For the past month, I have been getting these insanely itchy bites from...something, and I have NO idea what. I moved out here from Boston about a year ago, and this didn't happen last July!

The bites: they look like giant mosquito bites - raised welts with a little dot in the center that sometimes oozes pus when the skin is scratched off. Each welt is maybe slightly smaller than dime sized. And they are CRAZY itchy for at least 2-3 days before they start to subside.

Where: everywhere - I've gotten them on my thighs, upper and lower arms, hands (including right below the nail on my index finger!), my FOREHEAD (thank goodness for bangs!), back, and as of yesterday, butt!

When: seems to usually be in the evening, but sometimes the morning and occasionally the afternoon. I swear one happened at work, as well.

Where: I notice them inside, but it's possible they happen outside, I guess? Only once have I felt it happening - usually I notice the itchiness and then the welt, but never the bite. Yesterday, though, I got home from work, walked into the kitchen, and DEFINITELY felt something bite my butt cheek! :O I think it got trapped under my skirt as I got three bites - before that, it's always been just one bite maybe every other day or so.

I hadn't gotten one for like 5 days, and then over the last 3 days, I got like SEVEN. Which is making me wonder if whatever it is is rain related? Which is why I keep thinking mosquitos, but I never SEE any, and I have never gotten such HUGE bites from mosquitos back in MA.

Any ideas? I feel silly going to the doc to ask - it's not like she can do anything about them other than tell me to use cortisone for the itch, which I have been doing!

Thanks!
Fire ants? The raised welt and puss are classic signs.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:32 AM

Maybe? The welts don't really look like the pics I'm seeing of fire ant bites - the blister isn't that raised or pus-filled. Mine look less like red pimples and more really big mosquito bites with a small dent in the middle that's still flat. It's only if I scratch that layer of skin off the center that it oozes - and it's clear, not foamy white! Ewww, I know. But maybe! I haven't seen any ants anywhere, though.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:20 PM

132 posts, read 88,622 times
Go to a dermatologist.

You're probably both getting bit, but you're the only one having a reaction.how exactly did you check to rule out bed bugs?

Old 07-21-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamhbonney View Post
Go to a dermatologist.

You're probably both getting bit, but you're the only one having a reaction.how exactly did you check to rule out bed bugs?
Pest person came to look - no sign of any infestation of them anywhere!

Old 07-21-2022, 02:50 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
More than likely mites. They are especially active this time of year. They’re so tiny, you can’t even see them without a magnification lense. Could be chiggers if you have been camping or walking in tall grass, and unknowingly brought some back with you.
Clean and vacuum often, as this may help.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
More than likely mites. They are especially active this time of year. They’re so tiny, you can’t even see them without a magnification lense. Could be chiggers if you have been camping or walking in tall grass, and unknowingly brought some back with you.
Clean and vacuum often, as this may help.
Ahh, mites didn't even occur to me - I'll double-down on the vaccuuming an see if that helps! Thanks!

Old 07-21-2022, 03:42 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
Quote:
Ahh, mites didn't even occur to me - I'll double-down on the vaccuuming an see if that helps! Thanks!
Definitely vacuum often, and wash bedsheets/other linens frequently.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Maybe? The welts don't really look like the pics I'm seeing of fire ant bites - the blister isn't that raised or pus-filled. Mine look less like red pimples and more really big mosquito bites with a small dent in the middle that's still flat. It's only if I scratch that layer of skin off the center that it oozes - and it's clear, not foamy white! Ewww, I know. But maybe! I haven't seen any ants anywhere, though.
That sounds like mites / spider bites. Maybe a nest of tiny baby spiders hatched inside your house. Like mites, they're so small they're hard to spot. Mites are a species in the spider family too.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:34 PM

11,017 posts, read 6,870,183 times
I went through this last year. Thought I was going to lose my mind. I finally figured out that it was chiggers (likely because of all the rain and the tallish grass).

I did live in the Phoenix area for several years and I didn't have a problem, but I have relatives in Arizona and they seem to be having problems with no see um's.

What worked for me was putting a paste of baking soda directly on the bite, and I also bought a little stick at CVS called "Bite and Sting Relief Stick." It was fairly cheap.

This year I'm having trouble with mites and I found a tick on my neck while I was in my bedroom. Sigh. At least it's not as bad as last year. My dogs are on Simparica Trio about 8-9 months a year. They need to make something like that for humans.

Hope you find relief soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area