Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 07:16 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
The thing about these love threads, is that people considering a move there, are going to be swept along with the crowd. In fairness to people who aren’t familiar with Phoenix, a realistic view is better than going on about how wonderful it all is. Moves are expensive and it’s not easy to just pick up and move again.
This happened in Portland, Oregon in the 2000's. It was so hip and cool to move there. People did, without realizing the very real drawbacks which had and have nothing to do with politics. There is always going to be the latest, greatest, coolest place to move. The area where I live now is experiencing that, although not to the degree that Portland did, or Phoenix is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 07:20 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This happened in Portland, Oregon in the 2000's. It was so hip and cool to move there. People did, without realizing the very real drawbacks which had and have nothing to do with politics. There is always going to be the latest, greatest, coolest place to move. The area where I live now is experiencing that, although not to the degree that Portland did, or Phoenix is.
No place is perfect, the PNW comes close in beautiful scenery, but there are problems there. People should do their due diligence before moving to any area, it’s not easy to move, then think about another move. We were living in California when everyone wanted to move to Portland, I wanted to also, but things didn’t work out for a move up north.

You don’t say where you are located, but it sounds like a smaller city. Where we live now, Collier county real estate is red hot, all the long timers are complaining it’s turning into Miami. You can’t please everyone.

I just read this in the Daily Mail, it’s a very good reason for people to pay close attention to where they’re going to move. After decades of unchecked development in a sparse water state, and peoples love for green lawns, I used to wonder how they could sustain the water use. Lake Meade is drying up, it’s a serious problem.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-drought.html

Old 01-17-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
We know how hot the summers are but why do you go on and on about in January? It's not hot now. Even when it rains it doesn't feel miserably humid and hardly ever gets too cold.

Thank you for saying Paradise Valley is beautiful. I live in the Paradise Valley village section of north Phoenix and I'm content with it.

Phoenix isn't anywhere close to perfect - what city is? It's home to me and I won't move anywhere else.
Phoenix has a nice climate from November to March. I never said it didn’t, it’s the eight months getting hotter and hotter and more brutal than heat you’ll find in other cities. It’s a desert after all, but I’ve noticed most people who really like living in Phoenix, will not mention the heat or downplay it. It reminds me of people who would say they liked the heat and were happy in Phoenix. A few years later, they’d move on to another state where it was cooler.

Paradise Valley is really a unique place to be during the winter, it has beautiful scenery. After my office relocated, I used to drive to work from Tatum to Lincoln, then to Camelback, where the new office was. It was such a pretty drive, unique rock formations and all those lovely homes. Not many people had a commute as nice as mine.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:25 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Phoenix has a nice climate from November to March. I never said it didn’t, it’s the eight months getting hotter and hotter and more brutal than heat you’ll find in other cities. It’s a desert after all, but I’ve noticed most people who really like living in Phoenix, will not mention the heat or downplay it. It reminds me of people who would say they liked the heat and were happy in Phoenix. A few years later, they’d move on to another state where it was cooler.

Paradise Valley is really a unique place to be during the winter, it has beautiful scenery. After my office relocated, I used to drive to work from Tatum to Lincoln, then to Camelback, where the new office was. It was such a pretty drive, unique rock formations and all those lovely homes. Not many people had a commute as nice as mine.

I'm not one to downplay the heat but I find it 3 months (June, July and August) Not eight. And while it is true people come and go the net migration here is one of the fastest growing in the country.

As far as other areas around the US: Sure, Southern Cal has great weather but what if you can't afford the cost of housing? And what about back East? Well, you trade the summer months for freezing winters. In which case I will take the heat over the snow.

I have spent time in premiere cities - San Francisco, Tokyo, Dallas and San Diego. S.F. you do not need a car, Tokyo is N.Y but without the crime, Dallas wasn’t for me and San Diego? Not a fan of Southern Cal. If I wanted to stay in Cal, I would have kept the home I owned in San Francisco.

East Mesa? We live on a quiet block. Not an area for those who are single but fine for my wife and I. We own a car and can afford to keep it properly maintained. The same with the AC. We will not be moving anywhere except to either Gilbert or Chandler. I will always return to SF and Tokyo given both cities hold many memories.

However, Dallas does have great rocky road fudge and San Diego has a 1st rate zoo but I doubt I will return.

Last edited by john3232; 01-17-2023 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-17-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I'm not one to downplay the heat but I find it 3 months (June, July and August) Not eight. And while it is true people come and go the net migration here is one of the fastest growing in the country.

As far as other areas around the US: Sure, Southern Cal has great weather but what if you can't afford the cost of housing? And what about back East? Well, you trade the summer months for freezing winters. In which case I will take the heat over the snow.

I have spent time in premiere cities - San Francisco, Tokyo, Dallas and San Diego. S.F. you do not need a car, Tokyo is N.Y but without the crime, Dallas wasn’t for me and San Diego? Not a fan of Southern Cal. If I wanted to stay in Cal, I would have kept the home I owned in San Francisco.

East Mesa? We live on a quiet block. Not an area for those who are single but fine for my wife and I. We own a car and can afford to keep it properly maintained. The same with the AC. We will not be moving anywhere except to either Gilbert or Chandler. I will always return to SF and Tokyo given both cities hold many memories.

However, Dallas does have great rocky road fudge and San Diego has a 1st rate zoo but I doubt I will return.

It’s the triple digits in April through October, where it goes from hot to hotter, then drops back to hot before you finally get relief. Some November days are too warm for a sweater and likewise it starts heating up in March. I grew up with four seasons, so maybe it was harder to adjust to the heat. In my last job, a number of people I knew over the years ended up moving back to Florida where our company home office was. Apparently they preferred humidity.

You’ve lived in some very expensive cities, and you found your place to call home in Phoenix. I don’t really understand it, but it’s your choice, your life and you’re paying the mortgage. I had a good friend who lived in East Mesa, she didn’t have a car, so I’d pick her up and we’d go to various things. It’s more what I imagine old Phoenix used to look like, tree lined and quiet streets.

The COL in Phoenix is less than what it is in Naples. That may be why so many flock to Phoenix, plus the desert is amazing to see for the first time and I understand why people are fascinated. It’s completely different from what a development in Hackensack looks like.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:15 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
It’s the triple digits in April through October, where it goes from hot to hotter, then drops back to hot before you finally get relief. Some November days are too warm for a sweater and likewise it starts heating up in March. I grew up with four seasons, so maybe it was harder to adjust to the heat. In my last job, a number of people I knew over the years ended up moving back to Florida where our company home office was. Apparently they preferred humidity.

You’ve lived in some very expensive cities, and you found your place to call home in Phoenix. I don’t really understand it, but it’s your choice, your life and you’re paying the mortgage. I had a good friend who lived in East Mesa, she didn’t have a car, so I’d pick her up and we’d go to various things. It’s more what I imagine old Phoenix used to look like, tree lined and quiet streets.

The COL in Phoenix is less than what it is in Naples. That may be why so many flock to Phoenix, plus the desert is amazing to see for the first time and I understand why people are fascinated. It’s completely different from what a development in Hackensack looks like.
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usaz0166

I grew up in SF with mild summers/winters. Best things about SF - the weather, you don't need a car and Golden Gate park. Outside of San Diego the other cities I've spent time in weather was a trade-off.

95-100 is not a problem assuming I have a car to get around. 105 and up I find extreme but I'm not working outdoors, and I take my walks during the evening. However, those considering a move to Phx certainly need to take note of the summer heat.

On the other hand a household income of 110k-150k goes much farther here than say SF or Boston. I suspect people will continue to flock here. Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe are great areas to raise a family.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:

Wow, it is in fact not in the triple digits from April through October, here is the actual data from April 2022, not a single day hit 100 in Phoenix. Even in May only about 1/3rd of the days hit 100. Then there is October, once again not a single day was over 100. September had about 2/3rd of the days hit 100. It is consistently over 100 from June 1 until September 15th, after 21 years in the valley that is the HOT stretch. The rest is pretty straightforward and within range that you'd experience in most other US cities (not coastal CA, WA or OR).

Look, most of us know Phoenix gets hot but acting like it's 100 or higher for the peak temperatures for 7 months out of the year is comical. You seem to have a particular interest in making Phoenix look bad.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ph...6935?year=2022

Phoenix may be slightly cheaper than Naples, COL calculator puts them within 2% of each other but parts of Phoenix are far more expensive than Naples. Like Scottsdale which is about 30% more expensive than Naples. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2023 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-17-2023, 02:59 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Yeah, April and October are definitely not in the 100s. We usually leave town for the high country or northern latitudes in late May and come back first couple days of October. I have not seen much in the way of 100s since we have been doing that. It can be quite uncomfortable in full sun even in those months, though.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Wow, it is in fact not in the triple digits from April through October, here is the actual data from April 2022, not a single day hit 100 in Phoenix. Even in May only about 1/3rd of the days hit 100. Then there is October, once again not a single day was over 100. September had about 2/3rd of the days hit 100. It is consistently over 100 from June 1 until September 15th, after 21 years in the valley that is the HOT stretch. The rest is pretty straightforward and within range that you'd experience in most other US cities (not coastal CA, WA or OR).

Look, most of us know Phoenix gets hot but acting like it's 100 or higher for the peak temperatures for 7 months out of the year is comical. You seem to have a particular interest in making Phoenix look bad.

Phoenix may be slightly cheaper than Naples, COL calculator puts them within 2% of each other but parts of Phoenix are far more expensive than Naples. Like Scottsdale which is about 30% more expensive than Naples. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I remember more than one Halloween where it was triple digits. The time frame I’m referencing is from 1999 to 2017 when we lived there. Even if it didn’t make 100, the end of October has been plenty hot over the years. Temps can go up or down, but one thing guaranteed is the heat.

If you say it’s comfortable for many months of the year, that’s fine for you, but let others come visit and decide for themselves what’s comfortable or not. Your stats don’t cut it. I’m not making Phoenix look bad, as I’ve mentioned earlier, it’s done well for a city in the middle of a desert. There is a lot to do, jobs, decent airport, good restaurants, education, sports. I did post an article from the Daily Mail about a town being cut off from their water supply, but I’m not going to argue with you about how hot a desert gets. That’s something people need to decide for themselves.

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2023 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-17-2023, 07:00 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
After decades of unchecked development in a sparse water state, and peoples love for green lawns, I used to wonder how they could sustain the water use. Lake Meade is drying up, it’s a serious problem.
Please don't get started on green lawns. I realize some people believe that grass yards don't belong in our climate, but they need to mind their own business because residential lawns demand a paltry amount of the available water supply. Agriculture consumes the vast majority of water (74% the last time I checked), so that's where the cuts need to be made first & foremost. Water intensive crops like cotton & alfalfa have absolutely no reason to be grown in a region like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah, April and October are definitely not in the 100s. We usually leave town for the high country or northern latitudes in late May and come back first couple days of October. I have not seen much in the way of 100s since we have been doing that. It can be quite uncomfortable in full sun even in those months, though.
Actually, April and October CAN be in the 100s at times. October is more likely to have 100 degree temps, but it's less common as the fall season becomes established. Even temps in the 90s can be uncomfortable in the direct sun, and that's where I think October has the slight advantage over April or May because the sun's intensity is less during the fall than in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area