Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,460,122 times

Advertisements

Just heard this on the radio today and I can believe it. Bad is defined as making less than $17 an hour with no 401K or benefits. What is your experience here and would it be different if you got laid off or were unemployed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,091,679 times
I'm surprised it's only 1/3! Really, this city is full of educated people working retail because they can't get employed for what they went to school for.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times
Here is the full article: Report: 35% of Arizona jobs 'bad'

I read the article online and at first was surprised at the percentage of "bad" jobs...but the article title is a bit misleading and you have to read the detail to get the whole picture.

First, as you said, they consider the cutoff at $17/hr with no benefits. According to the article, 22% make more then $17/hr and have full benefits...and the rest, or 43%, make $17/hr and have some benefits.
So you have 65% of the population making at least $17/hr with some benefits. Maybe it's just me, but that's not so bad.

The more worrying part is that "26 percent of Arizonans are economically insecure because the earnings and income, including public support, fall below the standard basic family budget. The median monthly income of economically insecure families is $1,538 in Arizona, $656 less than the standard basic budget needed."

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I'm surprised it's only 1/3! Really, this city is full of educated people working retail because they can't get employed for what they went to school for.
Well, this is scary. I have an MBA, I'm bilingual and unemployed. Nonetheless, I am sure with perseverance something will turn up.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Aside from that report being 5 years old, and older, new data shows that the median and average income in Phoenix is higher than the national average...over $51,000. Here is the link to new updated and accurate information. Also the unemployment rate in Arizona is amongst the lowest in the nation and those with degrees, especially MBA, the sciences are in high demand. Maybe your not looking hard enough. Every one of my friends that graduated last May are now employed. Those that graduated this May have found employment, have been recruited, or have multiple offers in the Phoenix area: these are just MBA and B.A./B.S. in Business.
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/011342.html - broken link)

Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,468,451 times
Here's the full report (15-page PDF).

http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...te_2008_05.pdf

It's an interesting study and places Arizona in context relative to other states. AZ is certainly not the worst in terms of bad jobs, but it can and should do better. As discussed in several other recent threads, retail jobs, especially at big boxes like Wal-Mart, are seldom the ticket to a comfortable middle class life. Economic development should focus on cultivating businesses that have grown here from small startups to major players that sell products and services beyond the local market. Those organizations have relatively few "bad jobs."

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Here's the full report (15-page PDF).

http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...te_2008_05.pdf

It's an interesting study and places Arizona in context relative to other states. AZ is certainly not the worst in terms of bad jobs, but it can and should do better. As discussed in several other recent threads, retail jobs, especially at big boxes like Wal-Mart, are seldom the ticket to a comfortable middle class life. Economic development should focus on cultivating businesses that have grown here from small startups to major players that sell products and services beyond the local market. Those organizations have relatively few "bad jobs."
Yes, you are correct, but AZ is well known for service jobs to a large degree. There is no doubt that there are good jobs here; there just are not as many good jobs here as in areas with Fortune 500 headquarters.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 AM

919 posts, read 3,399,305 times
It seems to me the gist of the story is that it's not so much a question of jobs, but of people in jobs not in line with the demands of their household obligations. Economic security.

If young and single, $17 an hour is a pretty decent wage. Most of your bartenders, waitresses, etc make $2'hr + tips. Housekeepers make $6+ tips, and a rarely tipped.

Now if $17 gets you by and then you pop out 2 or 3 kids while at the same job, then your family economic security changes a lot. So this raises some questions...

- is it the responsibility of every employer to supply enough income for the long term needs of an individual employee?

- is every job supposed to be a career gig? Did you have a job in high school or college where you expected full health, 401K, etc+

- is there some responsibility on behalf of the individual to live within certain means? I'm in my 30s and might like to have kids, but would want to be in a situation where I can afford and provide for them on my terms.

There's also a compelling philosophy that most of us need some motivation to keep striving ahead. There's no utopia. If you graduate from college and get a perfect job with a good salary and bennies, then why thet heck would you ever want to change jobs, compete, or launch a new business challenging the old? Getting a better gig or building a new company is a huge factor in how our economy advances and innovates.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,710,801 times
$17 is bad? im making 13.50.

Now, if i had my BA degree, that would be another story. I would pack up and leave if i was offered $17 an hr as a scientist.

I am only saying this because i know people that work in call center's that make 21/hr.

As far as the 401k goes. Who cares. Take charge of your own retirement and stop relying on corporations to do it for you.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,615,915 times
Quote:
Really? Everyone I know has a job. All work fields they studied for. Engineers, Teachers, Business (Sis in law has an MBA). I would say in some cases...if you have a degree and can't find work...then look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area