Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM

219 posts, read 779,812 times

Advertisements

I remember being in Las Vegas a few years ago, though, when it was 110 degrees, and I was able to walk the strip, and I would say it was certainly bareble. Anything above 110 degrees, I am not sure yet how I will tolerate, but in a typical summer Phoenix is above 110 15-20 times, so I'm sure I will survive. Certainly beats months worth of sub-freezing temperatures... The sun does seem stronger in Phoenix, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,363,038 times
Phoenix summers (typically mid-May to mid / late October can be pretty rugged. Once it gets really hot, night time temps will stay in the 90's or low 100's. However, without the sun beating down, walking / hiking / bikeing is perfectly possible, and many many people do continue these types of activites regardless of the weather. It is really a matter of individual health and tolerance. I work outdoors, usually in full sun (where the temp is typically at least 20 degrees above ambient air measurement. I AM uncomfortably hot, I do drink a lot of water (and this is absolutly necessary), I start my workday at 5:00 am and leave at 1:30 pm. I am 63 years old! Been doing this for many years. . . . moved to the Phx area in my late 20's. Also, it is easy enough to get out of the worst of the heat in an hour and a half by driving up the hill towards Payson, Prescott or Flagstaff. Having a swimming pool to jump into on a hot day is also a big plus!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times
The only time I really spend outdoor in the summer is when out by the pool, which is practically every weekend. Aside from that..it's just too hot to do any outdoor activity, even walking or hiking, at least for me.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,462,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
First we need to know why you are asking. Cuz if you want to move here, we are already over populated.

How about going somewhere no one wants to live like Denver?
Gee, arent you a lovely soul.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 AM

219 posts, read 779,812 times
If she is going to mention a place nobody wants to live, I am sure there are MANY safer bets than Denver

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM

930 posts, read 2,425,643 times
Oh lighten up people. I was just kidding. Yes we would love to have you!! Feel free to move here.

It is just that the heat thing is kind of getting beaten to death on these boards. And then you have people who want to know if they will find a scorpion in every room of their house on a daily basis and they should be wearing combat boots. At some point my feeling is that if you have that many fears then you should probably live in a bunker somewhere in Ohio.

But barring that? Yes please move here

Last edited by Beena; 05-28-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,682,929 times
Wagonwheel--
May can be hot, but not too bad, 95-100 range. You can be outdoors pretty much all of the time. June, July and August are, naturally, the hottest. June usually about 105-107 for averages, July can be the hottest, 108-112 range usually, sometimes days of 115.Monsoon comes in July, some days down to 100 with some relief. August hot 107 range I guess. Humidity up in late July and August, with temp drops, but it feels still hot, just humid and hot.
If your lucky, by Sept. 15, mornings (to about 10 am) become more pleasant and nights (after 7 pm) become better, more tolerable.
I've seen Septembers and Octobers of over 100--but am's and nights generally "cooler," relatively speaking.
You have to use precautions in June, July and August--activity wise if you're not accustomed to it and drink alot of fluids, even if you're not that thirsty. 11 am-7 pm hottest times, but it feels like someone just turns a switch on in May and off in September.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Oh lighten up people. I was just kidding. Yes we would love to have you!! Feel free to move here.

It is just that the heat thing is kind of getting beaten to death on these boards. And then you have people who want to know if they will find a scorpion in every room of their house on a daily basis and they should be wearing combat boots. At some point my feeling is that if you have that many fears then you should probably live in a bunker somewhere in Ohio.

But barring that? Yes please move here
Beena, I'm with ya, man! It's hot here - people never leave their homes for months on end. When they do come out in December, the people are rude. The scorpions are everywhere. You can see the air, the kids are spoiled, uneducated drug addicts, and the crime is horrendous. But come on out and enjoy. You can whine and complain after you get here. Or even better, come live here a couple months and then start posting again about how we need to develop our urban "core" so we can be more like Denver.

Now to topic: It fits most people's definition of hot from April through October. You can still be out and active early and late depending on your tolerance of heat. Live on the north side and drive to the mountains on weekends or whenever you can. Buy a tent and sleep under the stars in 40 degree weather.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-28-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 PM

930 posts, read 2,425,643 times
Ponderosa....FUNNY!!!

Well I might be a rarity here, but I am of the opinion that it is somewhat of a privilege to live in Phoenix. We have sunshine like no place on earth and warmth in abundance. (lots of it).

And if you have any doubts about moving here....please don't. There are hundreds of people who would like your spot. And if you live here and don't like it, please don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:25 PM

51 posts, read 213,537 times
Thanks nytophx. Yeah, who knows what is up with these trolls roaming around the boards attempting to discourage people from moving into "their" cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area