Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 01:34 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Listing big cities with amenities that stand out could probably take up another page, but this is about Phoenix specifically. The other poster stated that Phoenix is unique in its own way, so what are these "unique" attractions on a large city scale which draw people here from across the nation & world? Let's see if you can come up with unique amenities that stand out ... besides things associated with the desert or the weather.
MSG Sphere in Las Vegas is amazing, great addition to their skyline! MSG says they plan to build Sphere's all over the world, maybe Phoenix will get one? <joke>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 03:02 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Even though it's a chain restaurant, we like "Snooze." They call it "midtown" but we walked from the Sheraton (free parking in the structure), and the breakfast pot pie is killer.

Lots of "different" folks but all good natured & fun.

Will go back and have their Bloody Mary with a designated driver.

Every time I walk by that Pasty shop DT, the place is closed. English style calzone. I need me some turnips & meat.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:08 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Even though it's a chain restaurant, we like "Snooze." They call it "midtown" but we walked from the Sheraton (free parking in the structure), and the breakfast pot pie is killer.

Every time I walk by that Pasty shop DT, the place is closed. English style calzone. I need me some turnips & meat.
It might be rutabaga. Rutabagas are sweeter than turnips. Turnups have a sharper flavor (radish-like). Rutabega's have better synergy with carrots and potatoes. Try this variation of the English style. They use to make pasties for mine workers back in the day and were extremely popular on the "Iron Range" in Northern MN and the UP of Michigan (an all-and-one meal). https://abcooking.wordpress.com/2017...n-range-style/ It looks too simple to taste great. But KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) often wins with your taste buds.

FYI. they are extremely easy to make. I cheat and use premade pie crusts. Pre-cook them (slightly brown crust) and they freeze like a champ. And you can cook them from the frozen state in the oven.

I am also a Bloody fan! What's the saying, everything tastes better with bacon.
I like a smoky flavor mix: I prefer a thick mix as well. (I've perfected this recipe over the years. Always a hit with guests.)
45 oz tomato juice.
15 oz of tomato sauce (to thicken).
2 oz lemon juice.
2 oz lime juice.
6 oz pickle juice.
4 teaspoons Tabasco/Hot Sauce OR Buffalo sauce.
4+ heaping tablespoons of prepared horseradish (start with two and add to taste)
2 tablespoons thick Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper or preferably, smoked black pepper.
1 tablespoon of garlic in the jar.
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 beef bouillon cube ("Better Than Boulin" brand is what I always use. Costco is the cheapest).
I'm not a vodka snob. 4x filtering or better and it's a fairly close tie to my taste buds. I buy Costco's 5x filtered vodka and I am a happy camper!

Mix it a day before use. I lasts for days in the fridge getting better by the day. Now, you don't need a DD!

All that said, where is the location of that Pasty shop?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-17-2023 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It might be rutabaga. Rutabagas are sweeter than turnips. Turnups have a sharper flavor (radish-like). Rutabega's have better synergy with carrots and potatoes. Try this variation of the English style. They use to make pasties for mine workers back in the day and were extremely popular on the "Iron Range" in Northern MN and the UP of Michigan (an all-and-one meal). https://abcooking.wordpress.com/2017...n-range-style/ It looks too simple to taste great. But KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) often wins with your taste buds.

FYI. they are extremely easy to make. I cheat and use premade pie crusts. Pre-cook them (slightly brown crust) and they freeze like a champ. And you can cook them from the frozen state in the oven.

I am also a Bloody fan! What's the saying, everything tastes better with bacon.
I like a smoky flavor mix: I prefer a thick mix as well. (I've perfected this recipe over the years. Always a hit with guests.)
45 oz tomato juice.
15 oz of tomato sauce (to thicken).
2 oz lemon juice.
2 oz lime juice.
6 oz pickle juice.
4 teaspoons Tabasco/Hot Sauce OR Buffalo sauce.
4+ heaping tablespoons of prepared horseradish (start with two and add to taste)
2 tablespoons thick Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper or preferably, smoked black pepper.
1 tablespoon of garlic in the jar.
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 beef bouillon cube ("Better Than Boulin" brand is what I always use. Costco is the cheapest).
I'm not a vodka snob. 4x filtering or better and it's a fairly close tie to my taste buds. I buy Costco's 5x filtered vodka and I am a happy camper!

Mix it a day before use. I lasts for days in the fridge getting better by the day. Now, you don't need a DD!

All that said, where is the location of that Pasty shop?
The place you seek is the Cornish Pasty Co. They are at multiple locations in the metro including near Monroe and Central. Their pasties are not "authentico", big hunks of sliced potato - not diced, meat is different, and they sell all kinds of variations that are nothing short of sacrilegious. But, for a pasty lover who gets a craving, they will do.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:12 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
It all gets smothered with gravy anyway.

Ketchup is sacrilegious.

I had one with kohlrabi once; I will drive many days to get another.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:28 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
It all gets smothered with gravy anyway.

Ketchup is sacrilegious.

I had one with kohlrabi once; I will drive many days to get another.
I vehemently disagree. Ketchup yes, gravy is a big Hell No!

In all seriousness, it's really about what you grew up on. People are biased based on what they were initially served. I've never tried gravy because.... I never tried it! lol

Old 07-19-2023, 11:22 AM

369 posts, read 269,062 times
Default Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Listing big cities with amenities that stand out could probably take up another page, but this is about Phoenix specifically. The other poster stated that Phoenix is unique in its own way, so what are these "unique" attractions on a large city scale which draw people here from across the nation & world? Let's see if you can come up with unique amenities that stand out ... besides things associated with the desert or the weather.
You're not going to get a good answer because Downtown isn't a go-to destination for the majority of people.

I find nothing interesting or exciting enough about Downtown to waste a trip there. Everything I need or want is close to my condo in North Phoenix.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:29 AM

369 posts, read 269,062 times
Default Not worth it.

Quote:

Snooze has multiple locations including 1 at Kierland Commons that's just a few miles from me. I can't fathom driving all the way to Midtown or Downtown just for a drink or bite to eat.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
Snooze has multiple locations including 1 at Kierland Commons that's just a few miles from me. I can't fathom driving all the way to Midtown or Downtown just for a drink or bite to eat.

Kierland is pretty boring, it's so sterile and I get that it works for some people, I know people who prefer it but it's so boring to me. Give me places like Rough Rider, Sake House, Farish House, Fez and Lom Wong over Kierland, any day. You're not find anything like valley bar, Sin Muerte, van buren, nash, or crescent way up there.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
The official bird of Phoenix should be the crane now. My own photo, last weekend.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area