Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 05:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitr View Post
What to expect when there is a majority LDS? Sorry, never had an experience so wanted to see if it is any different.
I didn't say majority, but it is definitely an influence on the town, the school district and local government. It's just something that differs from Peoria and contrary to a post above I think they are more prevalent in QC than Gilbert. Something else to keep in mind if you have kids is they may be excluded from activities if they become friends with LDS kids. Not enough to be a deciding factor but for me I wouldn't enjoy being surrounded by teetotalers. I would also personally steer clear of the ALA schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 31,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
San Tan Village in Gilbert is very similar to Desert Ridge. Gilbert also has Epicenter, which is brand new and very cool. Queen Creek Marketplace is growing and has a lot available. Most of your entertainment type stuff will be in Gilbert, though. Queen Creek has more "country" entertainment like rodeos and San Tan Flats.

Are you referring to Arrowhead Mall as your close "mall?" That place has kind of been a dump for years.

Lastly, the LDS population in QC is nothing like Gilbert or East Mesa. It's definitely not the majority - not even close. I'd say the majority of the population are people who moved here from other states.
Thank you. Yes, I was referring to Arrowhead Mall and never had any problem there. Wish QC had some mall but not a deal breaker. I will check out the Gilbert places you have mentioned.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I didn't say majority, but it is definitely an influence on the town, the school district and local government. It's just something that differs from Peoria and contrary to a post above I think they are more prevalent in QC than Gilbert. Something else to keep in mind if you have kids is they may be excluded from activities if they become friends with LDS kids. Not enough to be a deciding factor but for me I wouldn't enjoy being surrounded by teetotalers. I would also personally steer clear of the ALA schools.
Sorry, I misread as majority. Understood a little more about LDS population and what to expect. Is there a reason why you don't like ALA schools?

Old 10-18-2023, 06:48 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Thank you. Yes looking at North Peoria vs South Queen Creek. QC is about 5-7 minutes more than Peoria depending on the time. What to expect when there is a majority LDS? Sorry, never had an experience so wanted to see if it is any different.
I'll 2nd Sno's POV. We liked the West side. But I love the East side of town much better.

In 2011 when we were exploring where to live, I had the exact same LDS concerns. I absolutely LOVED some neighborhoods in Gilbert for instance. The LDS population is about 10-12% in Gilbert. But a couple of neighborhoods that I loved literally had an LDS chapel as part of their masterplanned design!? Some non-LDS friends in SLC warned me that if you are not an LDS, you are an outsider. Being Agnostic, I didn't want to have anything to do with hanging out with brainwashed people. So I picked the Eastside of town. But SLC has a 49% LDS population. Gilbert is 10-12%.

That said, I've come to learn that because 90% of the population is not LDS, it's not really a big deal. However, I still would erase any neighborhoods with a church designed into the layout. Since Sno lives in that area, he would have a better handle on the impact. And it sounds like QC has far less LDS population.

I should mention that I'd much rather have a successful, family-oriented neighbor who is ethical (LDS qualifies) than a "Whiskey Tango" neighbor. Rest assured, there is a whole lot more of "Wisky Tango's" running around much of the diverse Pieora area. North Pieora is a better area. When it comes to demographics, strong correlations exist with how much you spend on a house or rent. The last sentence I wrote is a big reason why I like living where I live. Add in things to do. The icing on the cake is the views. I do think North Pieora has a nice-looking topography, a better demographic, and "good enough" shopping for most. I almost moved there from Surprise before coming to the East Valley.

Good luck with your move and decision.

Old 10-18-2023, 02:28 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'll 2nd Sno's POV. We liked the West side. But I love the East side of town much better.

In 2011 when we were exploring where to live, I had the exact same LDS concerns. I absolutely LOVED some neighborhoods in Gilbert for instance. The LDS population is about 10-12% in Gilbert. But a couple of neighborhoods that I loved literally had an LDS chapel as part of their masterplanned design!? Some non-LDS friends in SLC warned me that if you are not an LDS, you are an outsider. Being Agnostic, I didn't want to have anything to do with hanging out with brainwashed people. So I picked the Eastside of town. But SLC has a 49% LDS population. Gilbert is 10-12%.

That said, I've come to learn that because 90% of the population is not LDS, it's not really a big deal. However, I still would erase any neighborhoods with a church designed into the layout. Since Sno lives in that area, he would have a better handle on the impact. And it sounds like QC has far less LDS population.

I should mention that I'd much rather have a successful, family-oriented neighbor who is ethical (LDS qualifies) than a "Whiskey Tango" neighbor. Rest assured, there is a whole lot more of "Wisky Tango's" running around much of the diverse Pieora area. North Pieora is a better area. When it comes to demographics, strong correlations exist with how much you spend on a house or rent. The last sentence I wrote is a big reason why I like living where I live. Add in things to do. The icing on the cake is the views. I do think North Pieora has a nice-looking topography, a better demographic, and "good enough" shopping for most. I almost moved there from Surprise before coming to the East Valley.

When I first moved to Arizona I lived in Sierra Montana in Surprise, which is not far from your old house in Marley Park. We had a LDS church built into the subdivision. Point is, you will tend to find that all over the Valley, not just Gilbert.

Old 10-18-2023, 04:44 PM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
I would like to add that the commute to Tempe from Peoria would seem to be worse than QC. I like to minimize the amount of time I spend on I-10 going through Phoenix, due to the high congestion. That's not to say that congestion doesn't exist on the other roads and highways, but I-10 in downtown Phoenix always seems the worse.

Someone mentioned the sun direction. Commuting from the west to east (Peoria to Tempe) you will drive into the sun in the morning and evening commutes, whereas east to west (QC to Tempe) is the opposite.

In my opinion you can go from QC to Tempe much easier than from Peoria, even if the distance is similar.

Besides, I think QC is overall lower in crime.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:57 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Sorry, I misread as majority. Understood a little more about LDS population and what to expect. Is there a reason why you don't like ALA schools?
My comment on ALA schools is sort of piggybacking on LDS kids not involving non LDS kids in Activities. The ALA schools are a public charter school that was founded by LDS and largely employs LDS and attracts a predominant LDS student population. Some don't realize it until they enroll and learn their kid isn't fitting in with the tribe.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

Thank you very much

Old 10-20-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I would like to add that the commute to Tempe from Peoria would seem to be worse than QC. I like to minimize the amount of time I spend on I-10 going through Phoenix, due to the high congestion. That's not to say that congestion doesn't exist on the other roads and highways, but I-10 in downtown Phoenix always seems the worse.

Someone mentioned the sun direction. Commuting from the west to east (Peoria to Tempe) you will drive into the sun in the morning and evening commutes, whereas east to west (QC to Tempe) is the opposite.

In my opinion you can go from QC to Tempe much easier than from Peoria, even if the distance is similar.

Besides, I think QC is overall lower in crime.
Thank you! I have been through I-10 couple of times and did not like it

Old 10-20-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
My comment on ALA schools is sort of piggybacking on LDS kids not involving non LDS kids in Activities. The ALA schools are a public charter school that was founded by LDS and largely employs LDS and attracts a predominant LDS student population. Some don't realize it until they enroll and learn their kid isn't fitting in with the tribe.
Thank you. Do you know if Queen Creek High School or Legacy are better options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area