Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
I often wonder about this. The media are always talking about resets in one form or another, which is usually very negative. They fail to mention that some of the highest rates would be 6 mo. LIBOR + 6.
The interest rates are still reasonably low for even those with poor credit. I looked at about 50 notes in Phoenix a few months ago. All were foreclosures, 3/4 were ARMs, 90% of those were tied to LIBOR, with a very high percentage of those tied to 6 mo. LIBOR, which is currently a whopping 1.74%. So what's the deal?

Interest only option ARMs. Loans resetting at 125% of the original principal.In the beginning they had a lower principal and were only paying the interest. Now they have a bigger loan and have to pay more interest on that and additional money towards the principal. All this on a house worth 40-60% less than they paid for it. That's the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,697 times
I know there were lots of those in California, I didn't see many in Phoenix, but there were a few. The balloon rider was much more common. I think many more people will just walk because they are so far underwater. THey could buy the house across the street at 40 cents on the Dollar. IMO, it's more that, than the high interest rates. Even at zero percent; it's not a good deal. I ended up with a condo in Summerlin for 26.5 cents on the Dollar; but I became very familiar with the dynamics (or lack thereof) of the Phoenix Market.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:18 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
One thing I have learned in real estates and antiques, there is no bottom; just when it seems it cannot go any lower it goes lower. For the first time in history we have a president that is scaring an awful lot of people to death with his constant attacks on the so called rich and corporations. Taxes and regulations are forcing small business with employees to shut down. People are going into foreclosure because they are working their rear ends off to pay for a house that is worth half what they owe and the property taxes are horrendous yet schools clamor for even more money. I could go on all day about this. One thing for sure, we need another newspaper in this city.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
One thing I have learned in real estates and antiques, there is no bottom; just when it seems it cannot go any lower it goes lower. For the first time in history we have a president that is scaring an awful lot of people to death with his constant attacks on the so called rich and corporations. Taxes and regulations are forcing small business with employees to shut down. People are going into foreclosure because they are working their rear ends off to pay for a house that is worth half what they owe and the property taxes are horrendous yet schools clamor for even more money. I could go on all day about this. One thing for sure, we need another newspaper in this city.
In all fairness: several people (including myself) sense the housing market has for the most part has indeed bottomed------------with N Scottsdale, PV, etc. fixin' to crash now.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: several people (including myself) sense the housing market has for the most part has indeed bottomed------------with N Scottsdale, PV, etc. fixin' to crash now.
I think "adjust" is a better term than crash, and I would add to that places that have not "adjusted" outside the Sun Belt crash zone where the typical home is still out of whack with the typical buyer's income for that neighborhood. Unfortunately, however, it's not going to be enough and we are going to get back to the situation that we had prior to '05 where the only place we here in Phoenix can move to without paying more for a house is Texas or the worst of the rust belt. I suppose that is good for our growth here and thus our overall local economy, but it is a depressing situation for those who want to leave. For a brief time in 05-06 the world (outside CA and NY at least) was attainable. No longer.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,918 times
Yes there are further adjustments to go here in Scottsdale and prices will continue to drop. I have been listening to realtors call "we are at the bottom" for 3 years now.

Next time one says that, show them your bottom so they can recognize one in the future.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Yes there are further adjustments to go here in Scottsdale and prices will continue to drop. I have been listening to realtors call "we are at the bottom" for 3 years now.

Next time one says that, show them your bottom so they can recognize one in the future.
But if they say it often enough, one time they'll be right, then they can say "I called the bottom." Right?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
But if they say it often enough, one time they'll be right, then they can say "I called the bottom." Right?
That was funny Had to rep you.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Quote:
That was funny Had to rep you.
I'm flattered; a Realtor being repped by Beena.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
And why wouldn't they say that? It is their profession to sell homes. Why would a realtor ever say: "No don't buy a home from me. I will wait for your business in 2 years when the market is likely to bottom" A realtor making speculations about the housing market is like a Tobacco company making conclusions on smoking incidence and lung cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area