Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 04:58 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I don't think it's a good sign that you haven't bothered to return to reply, but I'll post anyway.
The OP checked back once on April 8th. I suspect our advice will be falling on deaf ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 10:03 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFences View Post
Hi, I'm a 55 year old looking at living in Scottsdale. I have an elderly mother living in the midwest. The friends I do have are busy with their lives and kids back in Chicago. I'm basically alone and bored. I also need to mention that I'm not fit at all, I have a couple health issues.

Do I buy a home or go into a retirement place? Is there a ton of things to do and make friends if I have a home or will it be difficult? If I'm in a retirement place there are people already there and many things to do and yet, I am young for this?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and sure appreciated, thank you!
My personal opinion is 55 is way to young to move into a retirement community. Most people are over 65 because that's the average for boomers to retire. I'm 66 and rented 8 months in a 55 and over community while my new home was being built. It was more like 75 and over and it seemed to be a just a large nursing home. Medic units constantly in and out people on walkers everywhere....no thanks. I'll be there soon enough don't need to be reminded prematurely.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:57 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
My personal opinion is 55 is way to young to move into a retirement community. Most people are over 65 because that's the average for boomers to retire. I'm 66 and rented 8 months in a 55 and over community while my new home was being built. It was more like 75 and over and it seemed to be a just a large nursing home. Medic units constantly in and out people on walkers everywhere....no thanks. I'll be there soon enough don't need to be reminded prematurely.
Were you in Trilogy Vistancia? They started in 2004. Or maybe PebbleCreek? They started in 1993. If so, your point makes complete sense. Because both developments are still building. So the "freshman" come into the hood in 2024 while the others have been aging for 20+ years.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:30 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFences View Post
Hi, I'm a 55 year old looking at living in Scottsdale. I have an elderly mother living in the midwest. The friends I do have are busy with their lives and kids back in Chicago. I'm basically alone and bored. I also need to mention that I'm not fit at all, I have a couple health issues.

Do I buy a home or go into a retirement place? Is there a ton of things to do and make friends if I have a home or will it be difficult? If I'm in a retirement place there are people already there and many things to do and yet, I am young for this?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and sure appreciated, thank you!
Well, depending on your budget several great communities in Scottsdale are not age-restricted but cater to an older demographic. They have clubs and activities of every type. Book clubs, community dinners, community pool, arts & crafts, and of course pickleball.

If you are looking to make friends, find a community with an active community center and join the fun.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:28 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Well, Sun City Grand was built between 1996-2005. I'm pretty sure it's a "45+" development with a higher dictated percentage of 55+. Per my earlier post, add 19-28 years to a person's age when x% moved in. Even if they were the youngest they could be 45 years old when they moved into the latest build date, they would be at least 64 years old. Add another 10 years of age if they had the newest home at age 55 which is 74 years old.

Mathematically speaking, Sun City Grand will have a lot of 80+ years old. Because of that, I bet estate liquidation signs are starting to pop up and newer and younger neighbors will be coming in. Still, what you see coming at the clubs, golf, restaurants, pickleball, and other active events will be the younger or healthier neighbors. Rest assured, your data will be skewed as many people in "active adult" communities are not active. In other words, your perception of the actual demographics will be off as much as a decade.
What you have described for The Grand, Sun City has gone through several times since we opened in 1960. It has mixed throughout all ages decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area