Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,970 times

Advertisements

U think,i can take my first stop in a New Mexico ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times
I can't tell you what route to choose, but I suggest that you check out the Road Food website.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM

7,196 posts, read 9,267,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nshresth View Post
If you mean end your first day in NM? Yes. Probably not the first stop tho.

Like previous posters said use google maps, mapquest or whatever software you like. Get a road atlas. Decide which way looks best for you.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 30,285 times
Quote:
My family and I will be making the trip to phoenix next weekend. I mapped it out and think a good half way point in Amarillo Tx. Good luck and drive safe!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,553,143 times
I just made the cross country trip from Massachusetts to Phoenix. I arrived here this past week. I had a good trip. I picked up I-40 at the Virginia Tenn border and took it across to Flagstaff. Then I-17 down to Phoenix. I didn't care for I-40 but some of it was ok,. However much of it I was boxed in by trucks and or construction. I particularly had a difficult time driving thru Tenn. Tons of trucks and alot of hilly terrain and nonstop severe thunderstorms. That was not fun. I found out during the trip I-40 actually has more truck traffic, than the other cross country interstates.I asked a truck driver at a rest area about this. I would tend to agree with that statement.

I knew I wasn't going to be staying at Hampton Inn or other similiar hotels on the way so this is what I did. That type of hotel was not in my budget. I learned quickly not to pick out a town on a map, and say that is where I will spend the night. Road construction and or wrecks can really tie you up and you never make it there. Or you find you arrive in the community before your ready to stop for the night. Or you make a reservation somewhere on the internet, and when you arrive at the hotel your not impressed with the establishment. You don't want to stay there and your credit card has been charged, because you got there later than 6pm. So I found the best thing to do was this. At rest areas there are coupon books for motels that give some very nice discounts on rooms. I did that and I can't say I really had any problems. I had rooms for $45 a night at some Best Western and Econo Lodges and Days Inns. I cannot stress enough unless you can swing the Hampton Inns or similair. Do not make reservations in unfamiliar communities on a long drive, before you see the motel you will be staying at. It just is not worth it and some places are for lack of better words A dump. I did it once and never will again make reservations before I see the motel. Also always check the mattress and or bedding for bed bugs. You have to in this day and age even at Hampton Inn. Its a serious problem and I found them once at a Homestead Suites Hotel. Other than that I have been lucky. Bring plenty of water. There are tons of Walmarts all across the country. You can get 12 bottles of water for $3.00 at most of them. You will definitely find yourself drinking alot of water in all this heat. I was surprised how many motel rooms have a fridge and microwave iin them now. It really helps especially if a Walmart is right by the motel. Get some supplies and you have the fridge and micro avail. A road trip is fun but can be tiring, so allow pleny of time and always expect the unexpected to be safe. I always tried to be off the road by 6pm at the latest. You risk the chance of difficulty in finding a motel room, especially in remote areas with limited motel rooms. Have fun.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,970 times
Thank you so much for your advice !!! you guys are awesome... one more question is easier to find gas station on the way out ??? and how is the holiday Inn hotel to stay on the way ???

Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your advice !!! you guys are awesome... one more question is easier to find gas station on the way out ??? and how is the holiday Inn hotel to stay on the way ???

I'm sure there are plenty of gas stations, but I'd always be sure to stop before I really needed gas, unless I knew exactly how many miles to the next station. Holiday Inns are generally fine, but as the poster above indicates, individual motels even in a chain may not meet their standards at a given time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area