Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on Arizona geographic names, Phoenix, East Valley, West Valley, Scottsdale, Chandler, Flagstaff, Tempe, Phoenix surrounded by mountains in valley

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times

Advertisements

Help me out here.
The Phoenix area always uses the "Valley" designation. To death, I might add.
I realize that Phoenix is in a valley, but why use East Valley as a geographical area or direction instead of just saying the name of a town or city?
For instance, when I lived in Flagstaff, we never said East Mountain or West Mountain, and people in Tucson don't say East Desert or West Desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
In PHX, there is a friendly battle between West Valley and East Valley residents. Its no different than the Northside Chicago vs Southside Chicago residents.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Help me out here.
The Phoenix area always uses the "Valley" designation. To death, I might add.
I realize that Phoenix is in a valley, but why use East Valley as a geographical area or direction instead of just saying the name of a town or city?
For instance, when I lived in Flagstaff, we never said East Mountain or West Mountain, and people in Tucson don't say East Desert or West Desert.
Because a lot of those towns or cities are next door to one another and occupy the same region. It would be a pain to say the "Chandler Gilbert Mesa Tempe" area instead of something as simple as the East Valley. I don't know about Tucson but the Phoenix metropolitan suburbs all bleed into one another so that half the time, you don't know which city you are in. For example, a morning traffic jam on the 60 can influence members coming from all the cities in the East Valley, do you want to have repeat "Chandler Gilbert Mesa and Tempe" every single time? Also, cities like Scottsdale occupy a huge area and parts of it are in the East Valley while other parts are in the North Valley. Flagstaff is a lot smaller too. "Towns" like Glendale, Chandler, Tempe and Gilbert each have 200,000+ people which are all bigger than Flagstaff so there is probably a reason why they don't have designations like East and West Mountain when describing Flagstaff.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-03-2008 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Because a lot of those towns or cities are next door to one another and occupy the same region. It would be a pain to say the "Chandler Gilbert Mesa Tempe" area instead of something as simple as the East Valley. I don't know about Tucson but the Phoenix metropolitan suburbs all bleed into one another so that half the time, you don't know which city you are in. For example, a morning traffic jam on the 60 can influence members coming from all the cities in the East Valley, do you want to have repeat "Chandler Gilbert Mesa and Tempe" every single time? Also, cities like Scottsdale occupy a huge area and parts of it are in the East Valley while other parts are in the North Valley. Flagstaff is a lot smaller too. "Towns" like Glendale, Chandler, Tempe and Gilbert each have 200,000+ people which are all bigger than Flagstaff so there is probably a reason why they don't have designations like East and West Mountain when describing Flagstaff.
Great explanation!!!

And, it's not because of the west v. east thing.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I think it is kind of cool the friendly rivalry that takes place about where in the valley you choose to call home. Saying you are in the Valley of the Sun sounds cool to me. Maybe that is where it comes from. Either way the Phoenicians seem to like it. I know in the LA area it is called the South Land. Same applies to the Phoenix area, because it is made up of so many different cities. As Azriverfan said, why call out all those city names.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I think it is kind of cool the friendly rivalry that takes place about where in the valley you choose to call home. Saying you are in the Valley of the Sun sounds cool to me. Maybe that is where it comes from. Either way the Phoenicians seem to like it. I know in the LA area it is called the South Land. Same applies to the Phoenix area, because it is made up of so many different cities. As Azriverfan said, why call out all those city names.
Let's be honest, we can all tell who has and who hasn't been to Phoenix. The people who have never been here think Phoenix is supposed to look like Tatooine on Star Wars. They think we are surrounded by endless miles of sand dunes and everything is brown with sand storns blowing in your face. When they actually move here they realize it is a valley surrounded by mountains, but I think that idea is still foreign to them on some level because of their preconceived notion of this place being anything but a valley. Thus, these people are not comfortable calling Phoenix a valley even though it is one.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I don't really mind the "east Valley" & "west Valley" labels. What I never liked, however, is how most everything here has to be called ARIZONA this and ARIZONA that. A few examples: Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Arizona Republic.

The Republic is the nation's largest newspaper that doesn't have a city name attached to it. Can't a major newspaper at least carry the Phoenix name? And just because the Cardinals play in Glendale doesn't mean it can't be named after Phoenix. After all, a few other teams in the nation play in suburban stadiums, but they're not always named after the state. Naming most everything after Arizona gives recognition to the state, but takes away identity from Phoenix. The nation's fifth largest city should have much more name recognition than it does.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Actually, the word "valley" IS used too much and certainly not only as an attempt to distinguish East & West. It annoys me, too. As if the city has no name. Reminds me of the "valley" girls in Cali...

Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't really mind the "east Valley" & "west Valley" labels. What I never liked, however, is how most everything here has to be called ARIZONA this and ARIZONA that. A few examples: Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Arizona Republic.

The Republic is the nation's largest newspaper that doesn't have a city name attached to it. Can't a major newspaper at least carry the Phoenix name? And just because the Cardinals play in Glendale doesn't mean it can't be named after Phoenix. After all, a few other teams in the nation play in suburban stadiums, but they're not always named after the state. Naming most everything after Arizona gives recognition to the state, but takes away identity from Phoenix. The nation's fifth largest city should have much more name recognition than it does.
I completely agree. This is a pet peeve of mine. In this naive attempt to unite the state and provide state pride, the city of Phoenix loses it's identity. We are the 5th largest city yet we can't call the Cardinals the Phoenix Cardinals or the Diamonbacks the Phoenix Diamonbacks. Good post. Everything has to be Arizona this or Arizona that.

If I one day purchase the Cardinals, I'm renaming it the Phoenix Cardinals... Actually, I'll rename it Phoenix something and come up with a better mascot but nothing obviously desert-like such as the Coyotes or Diamondbacks. I think Phoenix Fire has a nice ring

Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
LOL, we don't particularly like the term "Arizona housing market" lately, either, but such is life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area