Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on Arizona geographic names, Phoenix, East Valley, West Valley, Scottsdale, Chandler, Flagstaff, Tempe, Phoenix surrounded by mountains in valley

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

[quote=azriverfan.;4325375]Let's be honest, we can all tell who has and who hasn't been to Phoenix. The people who have never been here think Phoenix is supposed to look like Tatooine on Star Wars. They think we are surrounded by endless miles of sand dunes and everything is brown with sand storns blowing in your face.QUOTE]

[b]You forgot about the 'camels' running wild...:[/B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Help me out here.
The Phoenix area always uses the "Valley" designation. To death, I might add.
I realize that Phoenix is in a valley, but why use East Valley as a geographical area or direction instead of just saying the name of a town or city?
For instance, when I lived in Flagstaff, we never said East Mountain or West Mountain, and people in Tucson don't say East Desert or West Desert.
After awhile it becomes a second language and you just used to it and find yourself saying it as well.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Thank you all very much for your input. This helps bring my knowledge about the "Valley" to a new level.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't really mind the "east Valley" & "west Valley" labels. What I never liked, however, is how most everything here has to be called ARIZONA this and ARIZONA that. A few examples: Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Arizona Republic.

The Republic is the nation's largest newspaper that doesn't have a city name attached to it. Can't a major newspaper at least carry the Phoenix name? And just because the Cardinals play in Glendale doesn't mean it can't be named after Phoenix. After all, a few other teams in the nation play in suburban stadiums, but they're not always named after the state. Naming most everything after Arizona gives recognition to the state, but takes away identity from Phoenix. The nation's fifth largest city should have much more name recognition than it does.
I agree, it is annoying. What gets me is when people come on the AZ forum and ask about moving to AZ and don't specify what part. After asking several times, they come back and finally let us know that they are talking about Phx. It's important to post in the right forum!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 PM

28 posts, read 87,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Actually, the word "valley" IS used too much
What do you propose as a substitute? Would you rather people call it the "Phoenix metropolitan area"?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
[quote=nitram;4327336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's be honest, we can all tell who has and who hasn't been to Phoenix. The people who have never been here think Phoenix is supposed to look like Tatooine on Star Wars. They think we are surrounded by endless miles of sand dunes and everything is brown with sand storns blowing in your face.QUOTE]

You forgot about the 'camels' running wild...:
great analogy. hahaha.

A lot of people don't realize how hilly, mountainous, and green Arizona is. This isn't the gobi or sahara desert.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 PM

345 posts, read 466,876 times
Quote:
I completely agree. This is a pet peeve of mine. In this naive attempt to unite the state and provide state pride, the city of Phoenix loses it's identity. We are the 5th largest city yet we can't call the Cardinals the Phoenix Cardinals or the Diamonbacks the Phoenix Diamonbacks. Good post. Everything has to be Arizona this or Arizona that.

If I one day purchase the Cardinals, I'm renaming it the Phoenix Cardinals... Actually, I'll rename it Phoenix something and come up with a better mascot but nothing obviously desert-like such as the Coyotes or Diamondbacks. I think Phoenix Fire has a nice ring
How 'bout "Phoenix Furnace"? Accurately summarizes the ambiance of a Phoenix summer (of course the chamber of commerce would never allow it).

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
I don't think state pride had that much to do with it. It was just business and politics for the team owners. The Cardinals wanted to market their team to Tucson and other places in the state. And it makes it easier to marshal legislative and other government support when you're a broadly based "state" team. Personally I preferred Phoenix Cardinals.

Quote:
I completely agree. This is a pet peeve of mine. In this naive attempt to unite the state and provide state pride, the city of Phoenix loses it's identity. We are the 5th largest city yet we can't call the Cardinals the Phoenix Cardinals or the Diamonbacks the Phoenix Diamonbacks.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Tucson's entirely too small to designate East and West Valley.

You either live on the Eastside, Westside, Midtown, Downtown, Southside, Foothills, or Northwest Tucson.

The whole area, including the few suburbs, is referred to as "the metro" or "eastern Pima County." It's kind of odd considering Tucson is definitely in a more pronounced valley than up here in the Phoenix metro.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't really mind the "east Valley" & "west Valley" labels. What I never liked, however, is how most everything here has to be called ARIZONA this and ARIZONA that. A few examples: Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Arizona Republic.

The Republic is the nation's largest newspaper that doesn't have a city name attached to it. Can't a major newspaper at least carry the Phoenix name? And just because the Cardinals play in Glendale doesn't mean it can't be named after Phoenix. After all, a few other teams in the nation play in suburban stadiums, but they're not always named after the state. Naming most everything after Arizona gives recognition to the state, but takes away identity from Phoenix. The nation's fifth largest city should have much more name recognition than it does.
I think the assocation of Arizona with our newspapers and sports teams sparks interest for those outside of the Valley. If I lived in Prescott or Flagstaff, I would be much more likely to pick up the paper if called the Arizona Republic instead of the Phoenix Republic. Most media and sports teams have very a large geographical coverage area and following. The media market area of Phoenix extends from Blythe to Page to Show Low to Gila Bend. That's a significant chunk of the state.

Many of the sports teams have a wide following due to the distance of the cities with the nearest major sports franchises (SD, LA, Denver, San Antonio, SLC). Arizona is not the only Western state where sports franchises are identified by the state. Notice how there's the Utah Jazz, Colorado Rockies, etc. It is also used to spark more of a regional interest. That way people in Tucson, Yuma, Kingman, and Holbrook can all feel like they are served by a major league team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area