Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 AM

25 posts, read 188,054 times

Advertisements

We moved to the goodyear area (Estrella) about 3 weeks ago. Knew we may find scorpions in our home, and was ready to deal with that. To date we have found 5 in the house (alive) and 5 in the garage alive. ( in 3 weeks, not sure I was ready for this.) We have had pest control out but is not seeming to help. What scares me is they are all bark scorpions. And have found 3 just in the last 2 days. Anyhow my question is does anybody know how to stop them from climbing beds? My son is handicapped and in a craft matic type bed, and 2 of the scorpions we found were hanging from the bottom of the bed. I have heard of putting the legs of the bed in a jar so they cant climb them, but this bed is way to heavy for that. Would just break the jars. is there anything we could paint the legs with, so they cannot get a grip??? We are careful that bedding doesnt hang down etc, but how do we keep him safe from here. We also heard do not put your bed directly under a vent is this true too? If so will be moving my bed!. Any how love it here including the heat, but having problems with scorpions on my sons bed, any one with ideas, how to make him safer??
Thank you for all your help, I am not complaining about the scorpions, just trying to learn to live with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,036 times
I know it may sound stupid, but how about wrapping the bed in a mosquito net? Especially if you tuck the edges in under the mattress.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
You can always go find yourself some big crock pots, you know, the old "red wing" varieties, and put the bed legs in those. Those are a ceramic material that the scorps shouldnt be able to climb. Also, move the bed away from walls, keep the sheets off the floor, and maybe put a net over the top of the bed to prevent bark scorpions from accidentally falling off the ceiling into your sons' bed.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,240,541 times
Sprinkle DE powder (found in the pool supply section of any Home Depot/Lowes) on the stemwall of your house (outside). It looks a little funky, but it realy does work. Best way to keep them off the furniture, is to keep them outside.
Give it time as well. We had them everywhere when we first moved into our new house 10 years ago. After the other houses where completed in the area, they seem to be gone. Might see 1 a year if that.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM

25 posts, read 188,054 times
Default Thank you all

Thanks for the ideas. Never thought of netting to stop them from dropping from the ceiling. Also do they drop out of air conditioning vents?

Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,356 times
Default gone in a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Sprinkle DE powder (found in the pool supply section of any Home Depot/Lowes) on the stemwall of your house (outside). It looks a little funky, but it realy does work. Best way to keep them off the furniture, is to keep them outside.
Give it time as well. We had them everywhere when we first moved into our new house 10 years ago. After the other houses where completed in the area, they seem to be gone. Might see 1 a year if that.
I don't know if thats true, rumors have it that once you have scorpions you always will have a problem, something about they always stay in the same area? Im not expert, luckly I have lived two places here, appartment and now a home and have never even seen one. what about a cat? Isen't it true cats keep them at bay? If so, I think I would be adopting a couple

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scourt View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Never thought of netting to stop them from dropping from the ceiling. Also do they drop out of air conditioning vents?
It's a possibility, but one that I wouldnt ever worry about.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,507,380 times
They can definitely drop from vents. We had this in our house in Tucson. We were told they can be built into the walls and then they work their way out. Our house was new, and that appears to be what happened--they dropped out of vents a number of times. We also had quite a problem with scorpions throughout the 2 years we lived there. We had a lot of natural desert around the house which probably made the problem worse. We also had an exterminator come monthly. Never had one in a bed though, and no one ever got stung...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM

307 posts, read 954,518 times
Default Estrella Mountain

I like Estrella Mountain Ranch; however, back in 2001 we decided not to buy there because of the scorpians...

We have several friends that live there and say they come accross them probably due to the way the community is situated within the mountains.

Do you think there is any truth to this?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 PM

10 posts, read 58,516 times
They aren't coming out of the vents, but the attic itself as there are gaps where the vent comes in with the attic. Look around your house and see if there are any cracks that they be coming in. Also, look to see if your door sweeps are touching the ground. My pest control company leaves these fiberglass "granules" around the front door area and garage door area as well as glue traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area