Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:39 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
The shade structures on the stations are more than sufficient for the amount of wait time riders will have until the next train. According to the Valley Metro website trains will arrive ever 10 minutes during the day...more than likely it will take you longer to walk to the station than waiting for the next train. I suspect that if the sun is that much of a factor for someone they will bring an umbrella for shade.
Just what I want to do in 100+ degree weather... lug around an umbrella so I could wait at the light rail in shade. That would be in addition to anything else I may need to carry, ie a laptop, lunch, and for some a handbag.

The more inconvienent/uncomfortable they make it to use the light rail, the less it will be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Shade?! We don't need no stinkin' shade! Shade trees are too costly as far as water and upkeep. This is the desert. If you don't like our wonderful, blazing skin cancer causing sunshine, MOVE! If you don't like our blast furnace, heat stroke causing hot weather, MOVE! We worship the sun here! Most of us moved here for the sunny climate. Wonderful wonderful wonderful sunshine! We don't need a bunch of green, water wasting, high maintenance shade trees to block the glorious sun ... or block the beautiful views of our brown mountains.

That's all I have to say about that. Sarcasm over for today.
()

Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,143,549 times
I took these today around 12pm...they are 3 of the stops downtown...you might not notice the details of the shade structures just driving by them but once you get up close you'll see a lot of thought went in to provide plenty of shade. The awnings above and the 'louvers' on the inside are situated so that there will always be shade no matter what time of day it is. Also the mesh screens will be planted with vines to create a sun barrier on either side. If this isn't sufficient for the 10 minutes MAX to wait for the next train then I don't know what is...

I also thought I'd throw this one in...an umbrella doesn't seem to be much a burden to this lady...

Old 08-04-2008, 03:29 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,143,549 times
You might also take note that each station has a water fountain.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM

[quote=Bungle;4727987]I took these today around 12pm...they are 3 of the stops downtown...you might not notice the details of the shade structures just driving by them but once you get up close you'll see a lot of thought went in to provide plenty of shade. The awnings above and the 'louvers' on the inside are situated so that there will always be shade no matter what time of day it is. Also the mesh screens will be planted with vines to create a sun barrier on either side. If this isn't sufficient for the 10 minutes MAX to wait for the next train then I don't know what is.../quote]

There does seem to be shade in those pics. I wonder if shade would still be present when the sun isn't directly overhead, as it is at 12 noon?

I agree. The lady in your pic did not seem to be bothered by carrying an umbrella. She was also not carrying her lunch, a briefcase and/or laptop and had a purse which was not a clutch, so she was able to sling it on her arm. I suppose those who want to carry handbags should HAVE to get ones with straps, (after all, train use should dictate fashion, right?), and should she have needed those other things, she could have carried her briefcase on the same side as the purse, leaving her a free a hand to hold the umbrella. What about her lunch? I guess she could have put a bag between her lips, since she'd have no where else for it. I hope nobody at work has a birthday, or else she will have to balance the gift bag on top of her head.

Maybe you think there is nothing wrong with this and that is fine. You could ride the light rail. For me and anyone else who does have a problem with adding an umbrella, we will probably not be riding if there is no shade.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
You might also take note that each station has a water fountain.
That will more than likely spew out hot water. Ive yet to find a drinking fountain in AZ that didnt shoot out coffee-hot water into my mouth. Well, not that hot of course, but definitely warm and definitely not refreshing. I even let the fountain at Camelback run for about a minute and rechecked it.... still nasty warm.

Those pics definitely help give me an idea of what the stations look like. They do seem to offer shade, but I think they could offer a little more. Do they have misting systems on them? That might help, too.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That will more than likely spew out hot water. Ive yet to find a drinking fountain in AZ that didnt shoot out coffee-hot water into my mouth. Well, not that hot of course, but definitely warm and definitely not refreshing. I even let the fountain at Camelback run for about a minute and rechecked it.... still nasty warm.

Those pics definitely help give me an idea of what the stations look like. They do seem to offer shade, but I think they could offer a little more. Do they have misting systems on them? That might help, too.
You're right: the water will probably be unrefreshingly warm. I hadn't even thought of that. You are also right about the misting system. That would make a huge difference.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,462,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Even if you're a huge fan of the forthcoming system, one has to admit that the stations are incredibly scant on protection from the elements.
I disagree emphatically. The innovative sail-like design at the light rail stations provides far more shade than the flat canopies used at light rail stations in other cities. I've looked at the stations during all hours of the day during the summer months, and what impresses me is that the seats below are in shade almost all the time. This would not occur with a more conventional design, which is designed to protect more from rain or snow than sun. A plain flat canopy would protect from the midday sun, but do nothing about bright sun coming in sideways during the morning and afternoon rush hours. The sail-like design adopted does just that. It shields from the sun, regardless of its angle at different times of the day. Instead of being a design badly copied from other cities, this is an intelligent adaption to our climate. It's also far better than most bus shelters around town, which use the flat roof design and therefore provide shade during only a limited portion of the day.

...And for those situations which shade is not available, a wide-brimmed hat is a far easier to carry around for sun protection than an umbrella. In any case, bus ridership is higher than in years despite the poor shade at most bus stops. Light rail ridership will be just fine come December 27.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,462,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Last week I spent some time online checking out the locations of the stations and was amazed that most are at least 12 blocks apart. Even if a person lives halfway between stops, walking 6 blocks in the heat to catch the rail would be impossible for a lot of people.

The rail looks like a losing proposition to me. I don't think most people will hang around a station in the full Arizona sun to catch a rail ride. How come the developers didn't think of this? Oh yeah, because they won't be riding it, they will be going to work in their air conditioned limos.

altus2006
For the most part, stations are placed at half-mile intervals. That's generous compared to many other light rail systems around the country. Placing stations closer together would make the train unacceptably slow. Regardless, passengers are just as likely to walk to stations and wait at them in the Phoenix summer heat as they are in the cold winters of Minneapolis, Denver, or Salt Lake City, all of which have popular light rail systems. Even in Chicago, which uses heavy rail rather than light rail, most El stations outside the Loop are at least partially exposed to the elements. These cities all have high rail ridership despite challenging weather during part of the year. I see no reason why Phoenix will be different.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
in mpls it's very easy to not be exposed to the elements due to the extensive skyway system and many building having double doors creating a corridor where commuters huddle while waiting for transit

unfortunately i've rode the bus both there in the winter and here in the summer - neither were a picnic, but at least in the twin cities they kept somewhat of a schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area