Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
then what is a city comparable to goodyear that is closer to mesa? I can take out a map and search around but I'd like to know real feelings about cities, not just statistics. I don't want to live i Mesa as I don't want a large city. But I want something affordable like Goodyear.
Thanks
Goodyear is a good place to live. I have lived here 2 years. I hear that the Glendale AZ police dept is hiring and Peoria AZ.police dept. It is a lot closer than Mesa.HOA has some good and bad. Keeps your area nice and you have to pay a monthly fee. No neighbors with weeds in there yards or tarsh, no broken down cars in front of your home. Look it up on line it will tell you more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 AM

116 posts, read 368,430 times
Goodyear is nice. Ive lived here in the same home 13 years now.
Consider a Mesa home if work is there. Thats quite a commute.
Wifey has been offered jobs here and there in other places but since she lives in Goodyear, she works in Goodyear as well. I make my own schedule so it really doesnt matter to me but glad Im here.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
We are considering a rlocation from Long Island New York. We have made several trips and Goodyear appealed to us most - less congested. Any comments from New Yorkers who have relocated to the area?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
You might also want to at least look into Apache Jct or Gold Canyon, an unincorporated community that borders AJ to the east. Keep in mind though that they're both in Pinal County and the taxes-both property and sales, are higher. For many it's worth it. I prefer being just inside Maricopa County. Far east Mesa is not like living in a large city. We have everything we need as far as shopping and entertainment within a few miles of our home.

I really can't comment on the schools outside of Mesa, except don't get stuck on the anti-AZ crowd that loves to point out how low our per-pupil spending is. If you look at the latest DOE Annual Report, AZ measures up pretty well compared to the rest of the country on results. Check with the Arizona Department of Education for details on school performance. They have a lot of information on their website and you can even do side by side comparisons of schools and school districts.

I don't remember there ever being a lay off of police officers in the valley, other than when Guadalupe dissolved their PD years ago. Most agencies deal with under-staffing due in large part to the lack of qualified applicants and the competition between agencies for them. Again, I'm not that familiar with the west side, but there are several good police departments in the east valley. Unless your husband simply has his heart set on Mesa PD for some reason, he might also want to check with Gilbert PD and possibly Scottsdale as well as the Arizona Department of Public Safety (Highway Patrol). The pay and benefits are all pretty much comparable now.
Dont listen to him. apache junction is a meth infested hell hole. look into gilbert or chandler if the jobs in the east valley and look into anywhere in the west if the jobs there

Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 39,438 times
Default Living in Goodyear

Has you considered having your husband apply to the Goodyear police force, since living there off & on for about 6 years, it seems they're always looking for officers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area