Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Hello!

My girlfriend and I moved to Arizona, from Massachusetts about 6 months ago. Both of us were born and raised in Massachusetts. We both loved Boston, and liked a lot about Massachusetts.

We decided to move to Arizona because of the things we didn't like about MA. Astronomical cost of living, Rainy Springs, miserable winters, etc. We moved to Arizona for many reason. The climate, the cost of living, work (i'm an electrician.. Tons of work out here for me. Back home a lot of electricians are out of work), it's proximity to Vegas, LA, San Diego, etc... Plus I really liked how diverse Arizona is. We have everything here except the ocean... and the ocean is only a few hours away anyways!

Well anyways.. for the past 6 months, we haven't really taken advantage of anything Arizona has to offer! It cost us a lot of money moving all of our things out here.. We are finally back on our feet again...

Since we've been here, our lives have consisted of working, and saving our money. We haven't really done much of anything. I think the problem is, it's hard making plans when you literally have no idea where anything is. Also, it kinda sucks that we haven't made any friends yet..

We are 23, and 21.. We've been in Queen Creek since we've been here. Which is another obstacle.. There isn't much going on out here. Anyways, My GF hates this place... And I don't blame her.. So far it hasn't been fun.. But then again, she hasn't even saw the real Arizona.

I need some advice on things to do around here.. Where do people our age usually go out to mingle?

What do people do around here for fun?

What's the nicest part of AZ?? This whole place isn't a desert.. I know we could go up north for a day.... what are your suggestions?

What could I possibly do to have Arizona win her over??

We've got so caught up in our daily grind, we've lost touch of what we actually came out here for.. (more time outside, less time in front of the TV/computer)

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.. I'm looking for just about anything, state wide.. Thank you very much!

-Bob
Bob,

Maybe she just misses home. Girls are like that. I know I missed my family a great deal while I lived in Phoenix. Perhaps a trip home for the fall or winter will make her happy.

Queen Creek is out there, but you'll eventually be able to move closer. I would stick with Tempe, and Scottsdale for entertainment your age.
Tubing on the river is a BLAST! You'll find tons of people around your age doing it.

Sedona is nice - for a day. It's beautiful, but can be rather boring.

Try the Fashion Square mall. Even if you don't buy, it's still fun to look in the stores. (Especially for a girl)

Flagstaff is great to get out of the heat and can be done in a day without having to spend money to stay over night. Great idea for the autumn. Not as much color as where you're from, but it'll be downright cold enough for her!

Mill Avenue near the University is packed with boutiques and bars. You can park and walk the entire thing. Lots of fun.

If you meet some Pele that will help. I know house parties are BIG in the Phoenix area.

Try to find a sports bar around where you live. You'll have to look for one online, but they exist. They can sometimes be hard to locate because they tend to be in strip malls and blend in. But all of the ones I've been to seem to have a younger crowd and are a lot of fun with beer pong tournaments, pool and darts.

Chandler Mall is nice to shop at also for a girl.

I'd avoid the zoo because it's not very exciting, pretty, and nice, but far too much walking without many animals. However, in the West Valley there is an animal safari where you can actually get close to them. I'm not sure of the name, but someone on here will be able to chime in hopefully with the name.

Hike up Camelback or one of the other ones. That's always a good time. Pleasant Lake is great too if you can find a friend with a boat.

Then there are always the old standbys - join a bowling league, volunteer or join a church.

Things will get better, you just need to get to where the stuff is!

Good luck!

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 08-16-2008 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
mexican border towns are not good times IMO - if you want to hit the beach make the trek down to rocky point, you'll get mixed opinions on it, but for me it's a nice place to go and relax on the beach ..... or a place to go and drink too many beers

camping and up north go hand in hand - you can camp around oak creek and then wander around sedona ........ if you are in that area than I also really enjoy jerome and prescott - jerome is great to wander around

since you are in the east valley it wont be far to go out to the supersititions and the lakes around there

another nice drive would be through the salt river canyon or take a trip up south mountain and see how vast this city is

downtown glendale is a great place to wander around when the weather gets a little better and then you could bounce out to westgate for more entertainment

my wife and I often would go play mini-golf with a buy one get one coupon - good cheap fun

when the weather gets better day trips to places like bisbee and tombstone are great as well

there are tons of little arts type festivals in mesa - i was at a beer event in mesa and while waiting for our cab we wandered into an outdoor wine & music event

you just have to put yourself out there and realize that although not compacted, there are tons of places to check out and you can still have random days

for food go to azcentral and look at their food section - you'll find a lot of non-chain options - although for better or worse a lot of chains have some great happy hours

but since this is summer, aim high - dress a little nicely and head out to a place like donovans - you'll pay a little bit more for your drinks, but their free steak sandwiches are awesome

Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,928 times
Smart girl !

Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 PM

13 posts, read 65,968 times
As a recent transplant to AZ, I think the following books are absolutely essential reading:

1. "The Insider's Arizona Guidebook" by Arizona Highways
2. "Insight Guides to Arizona & The Grand Canyon" by the Discovery Channel

There's a lot more available, but those are the two that have helped the most.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,101 times
I like to eat.....a lot, and there is plenty of places to eat around here that are really good, and its always fun to go to a new place with some friends. Of course you might want to put a couple extra hours in the gym each week.

And if your the outdoor type Arizona Highways is a great magazine. Its worth the price just for the pictures it has in it alone.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Hello!

My girlfriend and I moved to Arizona, from Massachusetts about 6 months ago. Both of us were born and raised in Massachusetts. We both loved Boston, and liked a lot about Massachusetts.

We decided to move to Arizona because of the things we didn't like about MA. Astronomical cost of living, Rainy Springs, miserable winters, etc. We moved to Arizona for many reason. The climate, the cost of living, work (i'm an electrician.. Tons of work out here for me. Back home a lot of electricians are out of work), it's proximity to Vegas, LA, San Diego, etc... Plus I really liked how diverse Arizona is. We have everything here except the ocean... and the ocean is only a few hours away anyways!

Well anyways.. for the past 6 months, we haven't really taken advantage of anything Arizona has to offer! It cost us a lot of money moving all of our things out here.. We are finally back on our feet again...

Since we've been here, our lives have consisted of working, and saving our money. We haven't really done much of anything. I think the problem is, it's hard making plans when you literally have no idea where anything is. Also, it kinda sucks that we haven't made any friends yet..

We are 23, and 21.. We've been in Queen Creek since we've been here. Which is another obstacle.. There isn't much going on out here. Anyways, My GF hates this place... And I don't blame her.. So far it hasn't been fun.. But then again, she hasn't even saw the real Arizona.

I need some advice on things to do around here.. Where do people our age usually go out to mingle?

What do people do around here for fun?

What's the nicest part of AZ?? This whole place isn't a desert.. I know we could go up north for a day.... what are your suggestions?

What could I possibly do to have Arizona win her over??

We've got so caught up in our daily grind, we've lost touch of what we actually came out here for.. (more time outside, less time in front of the TV/computer)

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.. I'm looking for just about anything, state wide.. Thank you very much!

-Bob
Move to Scottsdale, find a new girl and dump the current one...J/K....Kinda....

Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
So, if your girlfriend still hates it are you going to move back? Or stay?

It all depends... We'd have to talk about it.. And both decide where our future is. We aren't married... I'm all done with Massachusetts for now.. I think, even if I decide I don't like this place, I'll stick it out for atleast 5 years.. If she can't commit to that, then maybe she'll have to go home. But like I said in a previous post... This state has everything MASS has to offer, and then some..

Before we moved, a friend of my family had this to say to me.. "This relocation to AZ is only going to work, if you want it to" .. I think that is dead on.. If she has her mind set on going back home, then there is nothing I can do about it...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzero View Post
As a recent transplant to AZ, I think the following books are absolutely essential reading:

1. "The Insider's Arizona Guidebook" by Arizona Highways
2. "Insight Guides to Arizona & The Grand Canyon" by the Discovery Channel

There's a lot more available, but those are the two that have helped the most.

I actually own the insider's Az Guidebook ... That's how I came up with the idea of visiting nogales.... Big mistake.. That is a great book... It just doesn't focus on people in my age group..

Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 PM

16 posts, read 48,974 times
I think you are right. I was dead set on moving here (from L.I. NY) last year, but after being here I've found so much to do. I do have kids but we still like to have fun. I mentioned in a previous reply to this thread a few things to do, and I just wanted to add in a few more thoughts. Take a ride up into the Superstition Mountains, the lakes there are beautiful. We like to stop along the dirt roads along the way. I tend to not stop at the developed sites there. Have fun along the way, stop at Tortilla Flats, it's probably the tiniest town you'll ever see but there is a bar and it's a good place to stop to break up the ride. Also, go into Old Town Scottsdale, take the trolly around, it's free and you get to learn the lay of the land there. You can get off at any of the stops and walk around. There are plenty of places to eat, drink, window shop, people watch, whatever! As for restaurants, try http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/6
You can search through and find 100'sof places that aren't chain places, I also can't stand them. Good luck, and no matter what happens you can feel good knowing you tried doing what you could to make it better/fun!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM

13 posts, read 65,968 times
Okay, when you finally get around to visiting the Grand Canyon, try the North Rim. It takes longer to get there, but the views are spectacular and there are far fewer tourists than along the South Rim. The down side is that most of the services, including lodging, close by Mid October. That snow thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area