Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The Museum of Musical Instruments is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale. Just irks me when Phienix doesn't get it's due credit.
I've noticed that some areas of the city of Phoenix get referred to as neighboring cities (ie Glendale, Tolleson, Scottsdale). One of the reasons is due to the zip codes. An example is 85254. It's listed as Scottsdale, but about 85% of the zip code is Phoenix. A LOT of businesses and residences in Phoenix sell themselves as being in Scottsdale, at least in this particular zip code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
If you read the comments people write and thier suggestions, then you notice most everything is miles away. Flagstaff, SD, LV, Sedona. All over Metro Phoenix, Tucson, Mexico. No matter how your look at it things are miles away. Some people do not have a vehicle they can afford to put all these high mileages on. They have to choose. Either use the vehicle they have for what is necessary, and keep the miles off as much as they can. Because they cannot afford to just go out and get another vehicle. Evidently many in Arizona do not realize, that not everyone can afford to get another vehicle at thier whim. Also they don't have all this money for all this gas.required to live here. I don't think it is out of line to say many in this Metro fill up twice a week. So for people that want to go out somewhere but have limited means. I think this can be a difficult place to live, whether anyone wants to say so or not. I just did. It just does not have a number of activities for a city or the immediate area. Yes there is Camelback Mtn and some other parks and a few museums. Add it all up its nice enough but there is not much here. Its shopping centers and malls. If life for a young person consists of these few parks and Mill St in Tempe. Shopping centers and malls. Then I can't see it being all that interesting for most American young people. Add in the fact they can't around without a car. There are few buses. They don't want to walk I doubt they would if they could. They need to buy all that gas and they haven't much money. It must be boring as hell. No wonder they take off for the cities in Calif.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
There's people back in NY I stay in touch with that hate it here. When I build it up with pictures of our area, I hear "Don't feel like living on Mars" and "Those mountains look like piles of dirt." That is fine. We have enough population growth as is, we don't need any malcontents who don't appreciate the unique landscape moving here either. The uniqueness and the hot summers will hopefully keep cost of living reasonable for years to come. Why is San Diego so expensive ? Because it's a perfect climate,awesome beaches and offers very diverse geography and climates over short distances to suit everyone's interests. Supply and Demand. Simple as that.

Thats right you don't need any malcontents. A place like Arizona will get them because it is so different, and it can be hard on a person. They may not get to enjoy it like you do, and end up having to make other arrangements. We never know someone's situation/position in life, as to why a place does not fit them. Buy hey they give it a try. So they may end up not disliking it, but realizing its not a place they can live. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with that person. Just like your friends in NY. Arizona is not for them. Probably NY is not for you. Thats how life is not everyplace is for everyone.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
I've noticed that some areas of the city of Phoenix get referred to as neighboring cities (ie Glendale, Tolleson, Scottsdale). One of the reasons is due to the zip codes. An example is 85254. It's listed as Scottsdale, but about 85% of the zip code is Phoenix. A LOT of businesses and residences in Phoenix sell themselves as being in Scottsdale, at least in this particular zip code.
Yea, zip codes are tied to the post office that delivers mail to a particular area, and the post office that delivers to the 85254 zip code is just east of Scottsdale Rd, in Scottsdale, so this area of Phoenix ends up with a Scottsdale zip code but as you said, it's not Scottsdale.

A lot of people also think that the Desert Ridge area a little further north is also Scottsdale but that's all Phoenix and actually has a Phoenix "850" zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area