Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 40,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Any pizza is better than no pizza.
I've had pizza so bad that the carboard box the pizza was delivered in has more flavor. So, I have to disagree w/ this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I tried Uncle Louie's last night in N. Scottsdale/Carefree. Service was excellent, but the pizza was mediocre-good and the whole meal was plenty more expensive than the better meal at Grimaldi's. For the distance from my house, I might as well go to Grimaldi's next time, which I know is always super.

BTW, I think Bianco's is closed for another week or so. I'm wary of places that are so popular that they can afford to close for a month in the summer. It almost always means the wait times are just ridiculous. Where I grew up, all the pizza was that good. It was just expected and no one would have waited in line for it. .
I notica a trend w/ Uncle Louie. If Louie is there and over seeing everything, checking up w/ customers, the pies are great albeit rather pricey. When Louie is not there, the quality is subpar.

I've been to both the Scottsdale and Chandler Patsy Grimaldi locations. I was disappointed bothe times. I like to have thee pie's edges slightly charred on the edges from a brick oven pizza. However, both times the pies were burnt to a crisp. One has to really keep an eye on pizzas cooked in these extremely hot ovens. Perhaps I was at both locations at a really busy time and the help was overwhelmed. Anyway, they were a far cry from both Patsy's and Grimaldi's in Brooklyn!

As far as Bianco's is concerned, I endured the 3 hour wair for a taste of their pies after the NY Times named them "America's best pizza." My curiosity made me had to try it.

Although the pizza was good, I was not overly impressed. IMO, there are better pies to be had in other Phoenix pizzerias, let alone NYC, Chi etc.

Talk about overpriced, $14 for a personal size pie??? Pizza was born and perfected by peasants, not high end chefs. I find that even today that the blue collar, small family run pizzerias, not high end chefs make the best pizza!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM

92 posts, read 421,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee1 View Post
Turnco- Thanks. I've been to fatso's once. Down the street from Joe's Grotto. They were ok. I think you'll find Times Square much better.

Nitram- Anzio's, do they sell by the slice? If so, I'll try when I'm out that way.

Abmiku-Hello fello ex-NYer! I found that Buono's was much better before Vic Buono (hence, the name) sold, the place. Buono's hasn't been the same since. Decent, but not as good. Vic eventually opened up another pizzeria in Gilbert called Nicantoni's.
He sold the Gilbert one which went out of business, but still owns the Mesa one....at least he still did 2 months ago...as far as I know.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 PM

Both Buono's and Nicantoni's are still both openiness for bus. Vic Buono sold his share of the business and namesake to his minority share partner about 5 years ago, and decided to get out of the business. Vic decided he wanted back in the pizza business and opened Nicantoni's around 3 years ago.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,973 times
Just curious... would most of you pizza fans order delivery from higher end, higher priced places? It seems only chains deliver, unless you live near a unique place.

I'd love to be able to order a coal or wood fired pizza with quality toppings, if they could be somewhat quick and kept it under $20. The chains are cheaper but taste like dish sponge.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Just curious... would most of you pizza fans order delivery from higher end, higher priced places? It seems only chains deliver, unless you live near a unique place.

I'd love to be able to order a coal or wood fired pizza with quality toppings, if they could be somewhat quick and kept it under $20. The chains are cheaper but taste like dish sponge.
I'm not sure what side of town you live at. Although they aren't coal or brick oven baked, NYPD are delivering at some of their locations now. Almost all of their 16 inch "specialty pies" are priced under $20 and are of pretty good quality. They are a chain within the Phoenix area only, founded by an ex- New Yorker (Nassau, Long Island). Check out Welcome to New York Pizza Department

Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,358,272 times
Ok, I just came from trying out Times Sq. at Deer Valley and I-17. It was good, but not great. The crust was very bready, almost like they used Italian bread dough, flattened it out and then added the edge from another piece of dough. Still, very tasty. But it doesn't touch Grimaldi's. Still looking for another good one.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 AM

19 posts, read 67,143 times
Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixierox View Post
I thought you were funny! Made me laugh

East valley recommendation - Pesto's...on Ray and Dobson I believe.
Pestos is awesome...we started going there when we moved her 12 years ago. It has expanded and added a wine bar. Family owned and operated, its great to see a "little guy" do well!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 PM

I have returned from my hiatus! After all the hoopla surrounding Pizza a Metro on Thomas Rd. and 23rd Ave, I had to give them a try. All I can say is magnifico!!! I first ordered a salad that had a variety of mixed greens and 2 large tomato slices with a very tasty vinegrette dressing. The meal also included what I would describe as a basket of Tuscan style flatbread cut into slices served with capanota. Then on to the pie. I ordered the pizza Margharita that features a thin crust with a slightly chunky sauce with in house made mozzerella then fresh arugula scattered on top. I've eaten a lot of quality pies in my life (most in Brooklyn) and all I can say is that the flavor of this pie is so unique to anything I've ever had. I would best describe it as a very fresh tasting pie. Owner Maurizio Benforte is from Sorrento, Italy (near Naples) and has brought his talent to Phoenix for all to enjoy. I highly recommend this place! They are opening a second location in Scottsdale at 90th St and Via Linda.

Pizza Margharita (regular) $12.95
Insalata Mista (salad) $4.95

Next up... Pesto's, stay tuned!

Last edited by crazee1; 10-31-2008 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,703,682 times
Any good pizza places near downtown? Besides pizza heaven, NYPD, and oreganos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area