Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:37 AM

15 posts, read 40,379 times

Advertisements

After searching other threads, I have not found one specifically on pizzeria recommendations in the Phoenix area. So, please post some kick *ss pizzerias you've been to here that is NOT named Bianco or is NOT a corporate chain! I'm always trying new places and would like some feedback.

Here are some places that I recommend...

Phoenix: Pizza by Napoli (35th Ave. & Thunderbird), Ray's (3rd St. & Bell), Raffaele (19th Ave. & Glendale), Times Square (I-17 & Deer Valley), NYPD (20th St. & Camelback), Carusotti's (Tatum & Bell)

Ahwatukee: Bell Italia (Chandler & 49th St.)

Gilbert: Nicanton's (McQueen & Warner)

Fountain Hills: Redendo's (Shea & Saguaro), Pisa (Palisades & Fountain Hills)

I'm sure there's a few I forgot to list. All these places are NY style (Neopolitan). There's quite a few ex- New Yorkers who open up shop here. The running joke is that Phoenix is witness protection capital.

Surprisingly, I haven't found any good Chitown style pizza here considering all the Chicagoland transplants here. I've tried Vito's in Mesa, Rosati's and Oregano's. None of which were nearly as tasty as the pie I had on my 1 visit in Chicago. Any ex- Chicagoans have any better suggestion for better Chi-pie in Phoenix??? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM

687 posts, read 1,950,039 times
Pizza A Metro - 23rd Ave and Thomas
Grimaldi's - Scottsdale Rd & 1st Ave (other locations, too)
Spinato's - 12th St and Glendale Ave (other locations, too)

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,501,618 times
Tasty pizza in PHX? Is there such a thing? lol

Here are some easy directions to find good pizza:

Take 17 north to Flagstaff, take I-40 East to I-55 North to Chicago.

Estimated travel time? 26 hours.
Estimated mileage? 1,700.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:20 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,366,136 times
Having grown up in NJ and spent a lot of time in NYC, I can confidently say that Grimaldi's in N. Scottsdale compares mightily to any pizza I've had on the east coast. I won't go anywhere else now. I love that place.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM

101 posts, read 314,780 times
Palarmos Pizza 67 AVE & Camelback 83rd AVE & Lower Buckeye they have other places also. I am from New York originally and their pizza is pretty good.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Steve-o, yeah, I escaped winter so I could move to a yet colder spot! Did I not mention that I did visit Chicago once? Nice to visit, I'll say that. If you've been to Phoenix and your experience is that respectable Chi-pies are hard to come by, it's all fine and well.

Rick, thanks for your input. I have tried Grimaldi's at both the Scottsdale and Chandler locations. Unfortunately, at both places, the crust was charred hard and the sauce was too sweet. Yoy did remind me, however, of one of the places I forgot to mention. Uncle Louie on Scottsdale and Carefree is the best brick ove pie I've found locally.

I didn't want to mention this, but I did reside in both Brooklyn and Staten Island. I won't get into the whole NY vs Chi war. A good pie is a good pie in my book, as I am open minded.

With that said, pizza dough/ crust is a very tempermental thing. Elevation and climate affects both the yeast in the dough and how the crust cooks in the oven. So, you can't expect pizza to come out 100% how the pies are in humid, sea level climates in both NYC and Chicago. Here it is bone dry and about 1100 feet inelevation. So, I guarantee that the best pizza makers from both NY and Chicago can't completely duplicate their great pies here.

So, telling me to drive or fly to NY or Chicago or wherever else is a complete waste of your time to write and my time to read!

Last edited by crazee1; 09-03-2008 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: oopsies

Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,501,618 times
There is, what, 400' difference between Chicago and PHX? Not only is that strange to compare, but not even a big enough gap to make a remote difference. And our ovens here (you know, where pizzas are cooked) are just as dry here as they are in PHX.

Anyways, I was trying to be funny, lighten up, Francis.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 PM

141 posts, read 614,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There is, what, 400' difference between Chicago and PHX? Not only is that strange to compare, but not even a big enough gap to make a remote difference. And our ovens here (you know, where pizzas are cooked) are just as dry here as they are in PHX.

Anyways, I was trying to be funny, lighten up, Francis.
I thought you were funny! Made me laugh

East valley recommendation - Pesto's...on Ray and Dobson I believe.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Steve-o, I was incorrect to say that Chicago is sea level when is in fact 550 feet.
Yeah, I got your "sarcastic humor", so, I recommend you keep your day job!

So, have you visited the Phoenix area?

As far as the whole environment goes, I notice a significant difference on how even my own baked goods turn out here compared to back east. The desert is extreme, even on dry ovens (yeah, again your "dry" humor).

Robert, I'll have to try A Metro. I tried Spinato's in Tempe and wasn't thrilled with it. Is the Phoenix location any better?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,655,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee1 View Post
After searching other threads, I have not found one specifically on pizzeria recommendations in the Phoenix area. So, please post some kick *ss pizzerias you've been to here that is NOT named Bianco or is NOT a corporate chain! I'm always trying new places and would like some feedback.

Here are some places that I recommend...

Phoenix: Pizza by Napoli (35th Ave. & Thunderbird), Ray's (3rd St. & Bell), Raffaele (19th Ave. & Glendale), Times Square (I-17 & Deer Valley), NYPD (20th St. & Camelback), Carusotti's (Tatum & Bell)

Ahwatukee: Bell Italia (Chandler & 49th St.)

Gilbert: Nicanton's (McQueen & Warner)

Fountain Hills: Redendo's (Shea & Saguaro), Pisa (Palisades & Fountain Hills)

I'm sure there's a few I forgot to list. All these places are NY style (Neopolitan). There's quite a few ex- New Yorkers who open up shop here. The running joke is that Phoenix is witness protection capital.

Surprisingly, I haven't found any good Chitown style pizza here considering all the Chicagoland transplants here. I've tried Vito's in Mesa, Rosati's and Oregano's. None of which were nearly as tasty as the pie I had on my 1 visit in Chicago. Any ex- Chicagoans have any better suggestion for better Chi-pie in Phoenix??? Thanks in advance!
You are so right about Times Square Pizza, It is awesome! NYPD comes in a close second though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area