Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,667,443 times

Advertisements

I think we have sherriff Joe Arpaio to thank for this! His unwavering dedication to crack down hard on illegal immigrants in Maricopa county has a direct link to lowered crime since he deports 100's of illeagals a month. Naturally, crime will go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
wng

72 posts, read 245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I think we have sherriff Joe Arpaio to thank for this! His unwavering dedication to crack down hard on illegal immigrants in Maricopa county has a direct link to lowered crime since he deports 100's of illeagals a month. Naturally, crime will go down.
+1
When I came to visit, I saw signs alerting drivers of chain gangs ahead.
I thought excellent!
Asked my realtor about it and he informed me their sherriff is tough.
That made me feel good.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:47 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,935,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great point, Bear

Sadly, The Illegal-Lovers will challenge such statements and statistics until the Cows Come Home but . . .

! ! ! !
You can definitely count on that Bummer, even if the facts and statistics clearly prove to them that Arizona's tougher policies on illegal immigration have contributed in the significant reduction in crime.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:47 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,667,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wng View Post
+1
When I came to visit, I saw signs alerting drivers of chain gangs ahead.
I thought excellent!
Asked my realtor about it and he informed me their sherriff is tough.
That made me feel good.
Yes--Sherriff Joe is the toughest Sherriff in the US! Go to the Maricopa county website and check out the sherriff's office--Joe actually posts mugshots of people they arrest and tell you what the pers did! its great!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM

39,174 posts, read 51,475,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yes--Sherriff Joe is the toughest Sherriff in the US! Go to the Maricopa county website and check out the sherriff's office--Joe actually posts mugshots of people they arrest and tell you what the pers did! its great!
You mean what the person is ACCUSED of.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
One of the best preventions against crime is to carry a weapon. It's even legal here to carry a weapon concealed if you apply for a permit. I'm not saying we should return to the days of the Wild West ... but if more people would exercise their Second Amendment rights more often, the criminals would get the message that we're not going to let them victimize us.

I used to have a neighbor that had a sign on his door that showed a picture of a homeowner pointing a gun, and it said: "Forget the dog. Beware of the OWNER!" I thought that was a good way of deterring would be intruders.
I definitely agree with you Valley Native.

In this month's NRA's publication, the American Rifleman, they have a story about a Phoenix resident and his family, who were assaulted by thugs that tried to rob him while he was unloading groceries from his truck. The homeowner drew his weapon and fired at one of them, who was armed and returned fire, and the homeowner's wife and his son were injured, but he also did manage to hit and seriously injure the armed criminal before they escaped. They were arrested later when the injured criminal sought medical treatment.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM

The fact that armed law-abiding citizens do prevent crime is something I know from a personal perspective. In December of 1994, which was around the time Arrowhead Mall opened, my girlfriend at the time did her Christmas shopping there, and it was around dusk when she was walking out to her car. She noticed that somebody was following her. Her car was parked in an area of the parking lot that was nearly empty, and when she got to her car, she noticed that he was still walking towards her. She figured right away that he had sinister motives, so she set the bags down, drew her .357 magnum out of her purse to let him know that she was armed and ready to defend herself. When he saw the weapon, he stopped, and ran away in a different direction. Cell phones were still a new technology back then, and she didn't have one. She put the bags in her car, walked back to the mall, and alerted somebody who worked there. They called Glendale Police, and she subsequently filed a report. Hopefully the guy was caught before he had a chance to commit a serious crime.

It's about time the anti-gun crowd realized that banning guns will only make criminals' job easier.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 09-18-2008 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,641,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Ok, i'll use a local source.

My dad said we were safe as a kid, but i heard gunshots at night, people screaming, it must be true.
Were you ever harmed? If not i would say your dad was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think this is mostly an American point of view. For instance, crime is lowest and has dropped most significantly in places with the most stringent gun laws. Not only in the U.S., but in Europe, South America, and Asia. Personally, I don't think guns have a direct correlation to crime; I believe other factors matter more. Including the education of the general public, the relationship and status of that relationship with residents and police, willingness to report crime, and poverty. Southern states have the most lenient gun laws and the highest crime rates in the nation. However, is it really because of guns, or because of all the other factors?

DC and Chicago have some strict gun laws, are they safer than other cities?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,228,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The fact that armed law-abiding citizens do prevent crime is something I know from a personal perspective. In December of 1994, which was around the time Arrowhead Mall opened, my girlfriend at the time did her Christmas shopping there, and it was around dusk when she was walking out to her car. She noticed that somebody was following her. Her car was parked in an area of the parking lot that was nearly empty, and when she got to her car, she noticed that he was still walking towards her. She figured right away that he had sinister motives, so she set the bags down, drew her .357 magnum out of her purse to let him know that she was armed and ready to defend herself. When he saw the weapon, he stopped, and ran away in a different direction. Cell phones were still a new technology back then, and she didn't have one. She put the bags in and alrted somebody who worked in the mall. They called Glendale Police, and she subsequently file a report. Hopefully the guy was caught before he had a chance to commit a serious crimie.

It's about time the anti-gun crowd realized that banning guns will only make criminals' job easier.
I am a self described Liberal and I believe in gun control:

*****being able to hit one's target*****

Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,045,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Were you ever harmed? If not i would say your dad was right.

DC and Chicago have some strict gun laws, are they safer than other cities?
Yes, as are NYC, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, and even L.A. However, DC's strict gun ban was struck down by the Supreme Court. These cities have seen drastic improvement in rates of crime, especially murders committed with guns. However, I am not a person who believes in banning guns. Just in controlling who is allowed to own one (felons for example, those who have assaulted another person), the type of gun that is available for purchase, etc. I don't own one and don't want to.

That is a personal choice, and I wouldn't try to force that view on someone who is a law abiding and nonviolent person. I know that guns are practically banned in Europe, but that doesn't necessarily reduce crime. Knifing incidents and murders, and fights with knives are an increasing concern in many countries like England and France. From one weapon to another really. But honestly, I believe in learning self-defense. If someone assaults me physically, I can handle my own, but I wouldn't want to shoot someone, especially another American. Seen enough of that in Iraq to have a distaste for certain things but don't have a problem breaking a couple of fingers if someone wants to rob or assault me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area