Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 25,577 times

Advertisements

i am a college student in North Carolina and i am interested in transferring to Arizona State, i was looking on :: College Planning Made Easy | Inside Source for College Admissions Requirements and they said that it was a commuter school and i was just wondering if anyone knew how many students lived on campus and what campus life was like? also it said that they accept 95% of applicants and i was wondering if anyone knew how good of a school academically it is??? i am talking about the main campus in Tempe
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 03:01 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,022,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust154 View Post
i am a college student in North Carolina and i am interested in transferring to Arizona State, i was looking on :: College Planning Made Easy | Inside Source for College Admissions Requirements and they said that it was a commuter school and i was just wondering if anyone knew how many students lived on campus and what campus life was like? also it said that they accept 95% of applicants and i was wondering if anyone knew how good of a school academically it is??? i am talking about the main campus in Tempe
Thank you
Yes, most students do "commute." Meaning they live within a few miles of compus. Only refering to tempe, the school has 55,000 students with 6,000 freshmen living on campus. I don't know how many total students live on campus. This year ASU accepted 9,000 incoming students out of over 50,000 application; which is about 15% for it's Tempe campus.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,706 times
I tell ya what, I've tapped a few midwestern college a$$ back in my day but nothing, i mean nothing like ASU Circa 2006 - ???

Screw school...people go to college to get laid, have fun and barely graduate. I mean what's the use unless you got into Harvard or Princeton then yeah, you might want to straighten up your act but otherwise, get laid as much as you can...get it outta your system, so ASU helps you get there and that's even better!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 AM

68 posts, read 285,841 times
The W.P. Carey School of Business is top notch, the Walter Cronkite Journalism School is highly respected and Engineering program. Other than that, ASU is really not known to be an academic "powerhouse."

Crow (school president) is trying to change it into the "New American University." It is large of course. In some classes, you may have a large student to teacher ratio.

As far as campus life, there are sororities, or fraternities to get involved with. Go to the ASU football games, meet friends to party/study with, etc... The area around the university, Mill Avenue offers restauraunts, bars, shopping, book stores, Hooters and there is also Tempe Town Lake - which is at the northern part of Mill Avenue.

As far as I know, tuition is low (instate) when compared nationally.

Are you just considering ASU? What other university are you considering?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,319,651 times
Arizona State is a sleeping giant. It is actually one of the most underrated schools in the nation, academically. The reputation as a party school is slowly but surely going out the door. The business school, the engineering school, nursing, School of Earth and Space exploration, center for study of conflict of religion and science, it's all there. Just wait and see-- in a few years you'll say I told you so!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 AM

46 posts, read 139,686 times
Nasa just picked ASU to guide study in their search for life program. They have a great science school, getting better everyday. The mars exploration program. If your looking into that field than ASU is the place to be right now.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,706 times
cmon guys, no matter how you try to sugarcoat it and while you are doing a good job, ASU is ASU, party school. If im looking at 2 resumes, one from ASU and the other from say UCLA, Ohio State or Northwestern, maybe even Northern AZ, guess who I'd give the edge to? Nothing wrong with it, you just have to do a better job of selling yourself in interviews is all. Bottomline, the if the interviewers like what you have to say and how you react and seem halfway astute, they'll hire you regardless of where you went to school.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 PM

219 posts, read 779,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
cmon guys, no matter how you try to sugarcoat it and while you are doing a good job, ASU is ASU, party school. If im looking at 2 resumes, one from ASU and the other from say UCLA, Ohio State or Northwestern, maybe even Northern AZ, guess who I'd give the edge to? Nothing wrong with it, you just have to do a better job of selling yourself in interviews is all. Bottomline, the if the interviewers like what you have to say and how you react and seem halfway astute, they'll hire you regardless of where you went to school.
....Yeah but in order to first get the interview, and assuming its straight out of college, what school you went to plays a big role. Also, how can you even compare Northern Ariz. Univ to ASU, nobody outside of AZ heard of NAU. Id like to see rankings backing that up.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM

9 posts, read 25,577 times
thanks for your help i am also considering the university of North Carolina, University of Georgia, Florida State, Michigan State, University of Tennessee and the University of Nevada Las Vegas. i want a school that has a party reputation and is good at sports but i dont want to give up the academic part of it

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM

713 posts, read 1,462,310 times
UofA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area