Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It depends upon the individual store IMHO------each outlet seems to have its own 'personality'.

Why I say that is I am normally not a big Basha's fan; but, the one in Lake Havasu City (south end) is absolutely gorgeous

And; most Fry's stores leave me cold as well; but the Tempe store at Southern/Rural is great.
I have to agree with Arizona Bear's post. I have 2 Basha's nearby to shop. One is neat, clean, and has a terrific meat dept with very high quality cut meats. And the meat person will work with you for special cuts. The other store I wouldn't give a nickel for it. So the preference depends on how comfortable you are shopping at one of the supermarkets.
Also I live very close to a Fry's and it'd take hell freezing over before I would shop there. Poor service, trashy store, poor meat dept and terrible check out.
Before we moved our Fry's at that time was totally opposite.
Basha's AJ's and Food City are all Basha's owned stores. AJ's is highest in price and usually located closer to upper scale areas. Food City is more ethnic and caters mostly to lower income people and they appear to be more trashy. Basha's is the mainstream moderate store competeing with Fry's Safeway and Albertson's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 PM

92 posts, read 421,588 times
I find fresh and easy prices are usually a lot less on some items and are comparable on the rest. It is not a place where you can get everything you need however. I shop mainly at Fry's but I find that Safeway has better produce and meats, but their prices on everything else are much higher.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
same difference

go to the one that's closer where you're at

fry's is like a krogers, randalls, pricechopper ... though i see you are from
canada so i don't know if you can relate

basha's is probably 1/2 a step above that - just my opinion

Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM

68 posts, read 285,711 times
I like Fry's, you can find deals on things like cheese, milk, eggs, ketchup and coffee. The Fry's "VIP" card is free and offers discounts.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
same difference

go to the one that's closer where you're at

fry's is like a krogers, randalls, pricechopper ... though i see you are from
canada so i don't know if you can relate

basha's is probably 1/2 a step above that - just my opinion
Fry's is part of Krogers

Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Fry's is part of Krogers
well then there you go!

no wonder i've seen kroger-brand stuff there!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,773 times
My guess: You'll want to shop at both.

I think it's best to frequent all the stores nearest you, hunting for deals.

The overall environment at Basha's is nicer, but I usually see better deals at Fry's.
Get a Safeway in the mix and now we're talking!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
well then there you go!

no wonder i've seen kroger-brand stuff there!
For those who know Albertson's and Stater Brothers would also recognize the PS (Private Selection) which is an in-house brand for Stater Bros.
And yes, Albertson's, Stater Bros, Kroger and Fry's are all owned by the same corp. but Albertson's always seemed to be slightly higher priced than Stater Bros. from what I noticed the same is true between Albertson's and Fry's.
And I agree with all posters, each chain has a really clean, nice looking store with better than usual selection compared to its other stores so those who happen to visit the 'better' store would get hooked while those that hit the 'crappy' location would probably never go back.

I didn't check every item but for the most part Fresh and Easy prices seemed about the same as other chain markets if not slightly cheaper but the $5 of on every $20 ($10 off at $40) coupon deal convinced me and the stuff I buy lasts me easily a week. Wal-Mart might be cheaper than Fresh and Easy one certain packaged items, I can believe that but most of the items/brands I got at F&E could not be found at W-Mart, also I don't like shopping there unless I saw a really cute going in one.
Another once-in-a-while store I go to is Trader Joe's, again they have some unusual or inhouse brands that makes it hard to compare to othe chain stores. Generally the stuff is decent to high quality. TJ's could have very good deals on beers and wine (no club card needed). Another place which is a good place to check out for alcoholic beverages is Bevmo but they are not all over the place, however check out their web site to see their locations. They do have free club cards and could have really good weekly deals making it worth driving by once a week.
Super Target is another place I like for produce (especially over W-Mart and Safeway), decent prices and quality imho.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM

is fresh n easy a grocery store or one of those places that has just prepared stuff?? we've never been in one!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Turcoloco...
Albertson's is a subsidary of Supervalu.
Stater is owned by Stater.
Fry's is owned by Kroger.

Albertson's and Frys/Kroger are not associated with Staters.
SUPERVALU INC. - Grocery Retail and Supply Chain Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area