Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM

270 posts, read 1,111,735 times

Advertisements

I just got laid off and because I am new to AZ I am not familiar with AZ's UI system as well as IL's. I read on AZ's UI website that I can file for benefits in AZ and other states that I worked. I worked most of my adult life in IL and moved here last May. So I am thinking to file in IL and AZ both. However, I could not find any mention online on how filing in 2 states would affect the amt of benefit I would receive. Or if this is recommended at all. I am at a loss here! If someone know how this works, please give me some advice. I tried to call AZ UI office in Phoenix and the line is very busy. I could not go into the UI office until next Tuesday because that is the designated day for my SS#. So if I can learn more about this the better I am prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I just got laid off and because I am new to AZ I am not familiar with AZ's UI system as well as IL's. I read on AZ's UI website that I can file for benefits in AZ and other states that I worked. I worked most of my adult life in IL and moved here last May. So I am thinking to file in IL and AZ both. However, I could not find any mention online on how filing in 2 states would affect the amt of benefit I would receive. Or if this is recommended at all. I am at a loss here! If someone know how this works, please give me some advice. I tried to call AZ UI office in Phoenix and the line is very busy. I could not go into the UI office until next Tuesday because that is the designated day for my SS#. So if I can learn more about this the better I am prepared.
I don't know the answer but unless you were laid off in IL you can't collect for that state and you have to work a minimum of so many months to qualify. I think, if I were you I would ask a true professional, this is a bit too involved for just depending on what some on the boards may say about filing.

Nita

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

132 posts, read 593,827 times
I agree with Nita. You need to call unemployment so they can give you the correct answer. with the unemployment rising they require a lot from people. a friend of mine got terminated and his unemployment denied

Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM

105 posts, read 326,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post

You can only file for benefits in the last state you actually worked in...it doesn't matter if you don't live in that state anymore, as long as you worked there last, you can still file. I got approved for emergency UI out of Texas, and didn't even apply for it....it was extended to me since it was the last state I worked in.......all while living here in AZ. You can't have 2 claims in 2 states, because if you find a new job, no matter where, or what state, your oldest claim will die, because then you would be employed, nullifying your need for UI. There may be special cases and such.....IL may let you file?? I wouldn't see how though, since you've since been employed here I assume? Just call both State's agencies and cldear it up.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,034,612 times
Sorry to hear about your job loss. The answer to your question is that you can not collect UI from more than one state at a time. Also you actually collect from the last state you worked in, in this case, Arizona. Go to your appointment and fill out the paperwork and if you didn't work long enough in AZ then they will ask you about your employment in IL and combine both employment records to come up with one amount to be paid to you in weekly checks. Even if you quit your job or were fired for a good reason in IL, your subsequent employment and layoff in AZ will be the criteria used to determine your eligibility. Good luck finding a new job, hopefully before you even have to file for UI.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM

270 posts, read 1,111,735 times
I carefully read the AZ UI online filing website info and I think it does not apply to my situation. In the online filing, it did ask if I wanted to include my income from another state from 7/1/07 to 6/30/08 and I replied yes. Now thinking about it, I have actually worked from Nov 07 (when still living in IL) until last Monday for my former company's AZ office. In other words, I was living in IL and working for an AZ office for over six months before I moved here. I do not know how this would complecate my eligibility to collect UI benefit here in AZ.

Anyway, I have filed online and I am preparing to go in next Tues. and sit down with someone trying to have my many questions answered. This is very unfamiliar to me and I appreciate your feedbacks. I just wish there is a way to learn more about AZ UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: