Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know who this benefits other then businesses? I just watched a guy get fired today, they refused to let him get his items from his desk and treated him like dirt. He wasn't yelling or anything, he only wanted to get his things and leave. Management started circling him and mr tough guy started yelling at him, im confused. Why not just watch the man get his stuff?

If i showed you the condition of this place you would puke.

I've seen this all too often in Arizona, where the employer can get away with paying dirt and treating others like dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,243,298 times
what does that have to do with right to work?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I just wanted to know who this benefits other then businesses? I just watched a guy get fired today, they refused to let him get his items from his desk and treated him like dirt. He wasn't yelling or anything, he only wanted to get his things and leave. Management started circling him and mr tough guy started yelling at him, im confused. Why not just watch the man get his stuff?

If i showed you the condition of this place you would puke.

I've seen this all too often in Arizona, where the employer can get away with paying dirt and treating others like dirt.
This scenario has little (if any) to do with the right to work laws. As for your question about who benefits from a right to work/non union atmosphere: EVERYBODY does. If you live in heavily unionized state or region, the wages may be higher, but the consumer ends up paying much more for goods & services. Plus, when the workers go on strike, your goods aren't delivered, your services aren't performed, and the area's economy suffers as a result due to the severe inconveniece.

The way to avoid instances like the one you described would be to work hard, obtain a decent education, and network with people who are more professionally minded & goal oriented. Belonging to a stinking labor union won't instantly improve working conditions. It's all about your purpose & goals in life, and how motivated one is to achieve higher goals. BTW, you didn't mention if this worker was adhering to defined company standards in his job. Chances are, he wasn't ... and that's why he was fired.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
I only gave examples because employers can get away with treating you like dirt, firing you for any reason. Sneeze wrong, fired. You fell, fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The way to avoid instances like the one you described would be to work hard, obtain a decent education, and network with people who are more professionally minded & goal oriented. Belonging to a stinking labor union won't instantly improve working conditions. It's all about your purpose & goals in life, and how motivated one is to achieve higher goals. BTW, you didn't mention if this worker was adhering to defined company standards in his job. Chances are, he wasn't ... and that's why he was fired.
I've worked as a donut driver and had better conditions then any job i've had in Arizona. It's the rules of the game in this state i guess.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Right to work is in many states. I have only lived in California and Arizona and both are right to work states. Doesn't seem to hurt any of us that are working under these circumstances. My thought is that it is a bennefit to those that want to work and to the employers that hire them. For those that produce they get the benefit of working for a happy employer. Never understood the idea that someone is entitled to a job or an income. Entitlements go against my nature though. Never heard of anyone being let go for producing unless the organization was not making it. Can't pay the employees if the business is not making money. If a business is making money chances are those that produce will have employment.

Another thought that always gets to me is when someone states how low the pay is or how bad the conditions are. If you don't like it get out. If you aren't making the money you feel you are worth go elsewhere. Some of us decided that flipping burgers would not pay the bills and we decided to go to school, learn a trade or do something that would provide an economic incentive to work.

What other options are their than the right to work? Unions? What economic insentive do the unions bring to the table?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Right to work is in many states. I have only lived in California and Arizona and both are right to work states. Doesn't seem to hurt any of us that are working under these circumstances. My thought is that it is a bennefit to those that want to work and to the employers that hire them. For those that produce they get the benefit of working for a happy employer. Never understood the idea that someone is entitled to a job or an income. Entitlements go against my nature though. Never heard of anyone being let go for producing unless the organization was not making it. Can't pay the employees if the business is not making money. If a business is making money chances are those that produce will have employment.

Another thought that always gets to me is when someone states how low the pay is or how bad the conditions are. If you don't like it get out. If you aren't making the money you feel you are worth go elsewhere. Some of us decided that flipping burgers would not pay the bills and we decided to go to school, learn a trade or do something that would provide an economic incentive to work.

What other options are their than the right to work? Unions? What economic insentive do the unions bring to the table?
California is NOT a right to work state.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,361,730 times
Live and work in "right to work" state AZ, and RTW benefits employers, only. RTW means employers can fire you for any or no reason, can discriminate in pay, benefits, etc., can basically get away with anything that they think benefits them, without regard to ethical prinicipals, EXCEPT for those businesses that operate across state lines and must adhere to federal regulations. Minimum wage laws in the state do apply, of course, but that's about it!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,243,298 times
that is 100% false as well

you do realize that there are federal laws against things like discrimination, right?

it's not like an AZ employer can legally go "you're black, you're fired" - or "you smell bad, I refuse to give you an employment application"

Old 10-22-2008, 05:35 PM

643 posts, read 2,056,004 times
NC is a right to work state as well. I hate it, but what can you do?

I have to agree, it benefits the employers completely. They can fire you without an ounce of warning because, for example, they don't like your face. Leaving you without a penny of income at all -- and then they can tie up your unemployment forever, too. That's not very fair at all.

The other side of the same token, unions tend to push employers around and just act like big poops about a lot of things. Someone told me you don't even get paid by the employer - all your money goes to the union who then decides how much you get paid? I don't know the validity of that, but it sounds jacked up.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Live and work in "right to work" state AZ, and RTW benefits employers, only. RTW means employers can fire you for any or no reason, can discriminate in pay, benefits, etc., can basically get away with anything that they think benefits them, without regard to ethical prinicipals, EXCEPT for those businesses that operate across state lines and must adhere to federal regulations. Minimum wage laws in the state do apply, of course, but that's about it!
Right to work has nothing to do with the things you mention. It means, and only means, that an employee can not be required to join a union either before or after being hired. Nothing else. The practical effect of the law, though, is that unions have a hard time gaining any traction in right-to-work states. As a consequence, workers do not enjoy the protections they might have with a union standing between them and the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: