Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,209 times

Advertisements

I like Jingle Bell Rock, anything with Bing Crosby, and anything with Frank Sinatra.

However by two weeks of listening to Christmas Music, I had enough and refuse to listen to anything but Led Zepellin, the Who, and the Rolling Stones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Yeah, it was a terrible thing to let a billion people become more aware of famine and raise $100 million for relief. Musicians should stick to chipmunk-related holiday songs and lecturing us on presidential politics.
I don't have an issue with songs like "We Are The World". But the lyrical composition of the song is extremely weak and wholly depressing, especially for a holiday song. Christmas is about hope, not guilt. "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you"? Yeah, that's just chock-full of holiday spirit.

Also, the Northern part of Africa above the Sahara is primarily Muslim, so not only do they NOT know it's Christmas, if you happen to mention Jesus, it may lead to problems.

Right now, AIDS in Africa is a lot bigger of an issue than famine.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 AM

35 posts, read 98,981 times
Default Here's 3

Rockin' around the Christmas Tree- I think it's by Brenda Lee- the version played in Home Alone.

Father Christmas by the Kinks. Not your typical Christmas song but it has a great beat and makes a great point in a funny way.

Handel's Messiah. Majestic, it hits the true meaning of Christmas.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
There is one, and only one Christmas song, for a great many of us. . . (well, at least one that we can actually enjoy listening to). . . check out Tommy Thompson's "hot buttered rum"

Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,993 times
I LOVE johnny Cash! Oh and christmas is not complete without that song from National Lampoons christmas vacation! Ya' know....the one they play when Griswold's boss is being kidnapped lol

Old 12-01-2008, 12:26 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,086 times
I like most of the older versions of most songs:

O Holy Night: Pavarotti, Josh Grobin, Celine Dion (kind of)
Do you hear what I hear: Johny Mathis
Silver Bells: Stevie Wonder
Handel's Messiah
So This is Christmas
Gene Autrey's "Rudolph", Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly", Ray Coniff Singers "Little Drummer", Chipmunks, So This is Christmas, Vince Guaraldi's "Charlie Brown", Charlotte Church's "Silent Night".

I was surprised by, and really like, Ronnie Specter's Christmas, with all the old "Wall of Sound" artists.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I don't have an issue with songs like "We Are The World". But the lyrical composition of the song is extremely weak and wholly depressing, especially for a holiday song. Christmas is about hope, not guilt. "Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you"? Yeah, that's just chock-full of holiday spirit.

Also, the Northern part of Africa above the Sahara is primarily Muslim, so not only do they NOT know it's Christmas, if you happen to mention Jesus, it may lead to problems.

Right now, AIDS in Africa is a lot bigger of an issue than famine.
Good points, except that Ethiopia, home to the famine of the time, is still 62% Christian. And yes AIDS is a big problem, but so is Malaria, which anyone would be more likley catch. Lest we forget that much of Africa was colonized by European countries, so they not only know about Christmas, but will be happy to sell you gifts. But keeping with the original concept, should all music be judged as a Muzac-like feed that helps maintain a certain state of emotion? Or can passion and tragedy be part of the language of real music?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
Default Silent Nights By Drongomala free to download at www.drongomala.com

Hoping you all are having a good December so far!?

I'd like to invite you to download, for free, Silent Night by Drongomala for consideration on your playlist.

[URL="http://www.drongomala.com/mp3/Silent%20Night%20by%20Drongomala.mp3"]mp3 version[/URL]
WAV version (radio) (http://www.drongomala.com/WAV/Silent%20Night%20by%20Drongomala.wav - broken link)

This version of Silent Night was recorded by a Scotsman (Drongomala) that was living in Kerala for 2 years recording with Carnatic musicians. As many people know Silent night is a song about peace and calm and this version was made by people of many faiths organised by Drongomala.
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
We would be most grateful if you could play this song in the lead up to Christmas.
The track Silent Night will be free to download on [URL="http://www.drongomala.com/"]www.drongomala.com[/URL] all through Dec 08 until 2009.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Drongomala : vocals, acoustic guitar and arrangements.
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Balu - mridangham
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]A.R. Biju : veena
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Jon Thorne : double bass
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Ian Holmes-Lewis : percussion
[FONT=Symbol]·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Sanjay/Merlin/Lenoy/Sandra/Ramesh/Sujith - choir

Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
Anything by Manheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra. Oh Holy Night is a must. Then I ditto the Led Zepplin and Who, some Stones.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times
If anyone cares, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers just put out a version of Feliz Navidad on their website. .99 cents download.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area