Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:06 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,694,089 times

Advertisements

Every year, I put together a CD of some of my favorite christmas music. I find the commercial compilations a bit "lacking" to play through completely, there's always a flash-in-the-pan one-hit wonder trying to do a christmas song and failing, or an overproduced rendition of a classic by someone who can do much better... Christina Aguilera, I'm looking at you.

So, what do you makes the perfect Christmas CD? New songs? Classic songs? Classic songs re-done?

Here's a list of some of my favorites. When you list yours, please list song AND artist (and even album, if helpful!) so if people want to put together their own CD, they know what to buy.

Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus is Coming To Town.
(This is definitive. He owns the song start to finish. To me, Christmas doesn't start til I hear this song.)

Elvis - Blue Christmas

Pretenders - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
(again, completely ownership of the song. I don't think anyone can perfect what they did to this)

Johnny Cash - Silent Night

Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.
(Watching the Macy's parade, three things put a huge smile on my face - the Rickroll, Santa, and seeing Andy looking great at 80 doing this song)

I'll list more, but that's a start. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
Johnny Mathis & Andy Williams.....both tops on any list

Band-Aid...do they know its christmas?

Bing Crosby w/David Bowie.....little drummer boy I believe

Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,239,387 times
Anything The Carpenters did when it comes to Christmas music I love and listen to it every year. Of course anything non-Christmas related The Carpenters did I love as well and listen to all year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfAPl4uhP5s

Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,694,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Band-Aid...do they know its christmas?

Interesting choice. Was never a big fan of the song because it's main purpose was to instill guilt in people.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,477 times
Default Luther Vandross

His (This Is Christmas) CD. A couple favorites in the Cd are with a Christmas heart, every, every, every Christmas, and a cute catchy one called Mistletoe Jam, his version of my favorite things is awesome to

Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Interesting choice. Was never a big fan of the song because it's main purpose was to instill guilt in people.
True, lousy message, but I like the song.

P.S. I forgot to add Gene Autry....old school singing "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer"......classic

Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,477 times
Default I had to look up this song for you

Christmas Wrapping by the waitresses. I always thought that was Debbie Harry singing this, but no.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,351,471 times
Mine are bit unusual, perhaps:

Stop the Cavalry - The Cory Band With The Gwalia Singers.
This song has been a favorite up here in Seattle for many years. It was played on one particular radio station but was not available for sale ANYWHERE. Turns out the DJ had heard it in Britain MANY years ago, and tracked down virtually the only copy - which he brought home to Seattle and played. Every year that one particular radio station played and it was much requested. Finally, the DJ bought the rights to reproduce it and it's now played on several radio stations and available in places like Silver Platter.
This is not THAT version (which is MUCH better and more fun) but it's the closest I could find online:
YouTube - Wish I were at home for christmas

Christmas in the Trenches, by John McCutcheon
Such a bittersweet song, it always makes me want to cry.
(a terrific video of it - with a prelude):
YouTube - Christmas 018 ~ Christmas In The Trenches

I Believe In Father Christmas by Greg Lake:
YouTube - I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake (HQ Audio)
Cynical but very beautiful

Ken

Old 11-29-2008, 10:14 PM

919 posts, read 3,397,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Yeah, it was a terrible thing to let a billion people become more aware of famine and raise $100 million for relief. Musicians should stick to chipmunk-related holiday songs and lecturing us on presidential politics.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 PM

8 posts, read 29,925 times
O holy night is a must on any list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area