Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 AM

919 posts, read 3,397,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Transit 2000 is probably more relevant than Proposition 400 here. 400 applies more to the extension lines than the 20-mile starter line, which was funded primarily by the earlier referendum from 2000. Transit 2000 provides revenues for both construction and operations. Regardless of the financial details, I fear you'll never be convinced. Rail haters seem to have backed themselves into a corner and will continue to find ways to knock this project no matter how successful it proves to be. If rail haters would just simmer down for a while and let ridership numbers, accidents rates, etc. speak for themselves after a few years, we'd all be better off, but, sadly, that is unlikely to happen.
I'm using the Arizona Republic's reporting here.

And regarding your labeling, I love trains and have ridden great systems all over the world. Trains are fantastic in certain metro areas... where they make sense due to the population densities, job centers, geographical influences, deterrences to driving, etc. So no I'm not a rail hater, just someone who hates to see a money pit expanded in AZ, where the project's costs are completely disproportiante to needs. But I need not prove this - just look at the complete indifference of the nation's business and investment community.

But clearly I'm not going to change the minds of sunshine pumpers and kool aid drinkers either. But let me ask this...

A sports betting man is likely to put money on a champ that has proven their worth. A stock market guru puts their faith in companies that have a proven record of success. What achievements have any local govt. entities delivered that define and inspire your assurances of success?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,461,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I'm using the Arizona Republic's reporting here.

And regarding your labeling, I love trains and have ridden great systems all over the world. Trains are fantastic in certain metro areas... where they make sense due to the population densities, job centers, geographical influences, deterrences to driving, etc. So no I'm not a rail hater, just someone who hates to see a money pit expanded in AZ, where the project's costs are completely disproportiante to needs. But I need not prove this - just look at the complete indifference of the nation's business and investment community.

But clearly I'm not going to change the minds of sunshine pumpers and kool aid drinkers either. But let me ask this...

A sports betting man is likely to put money on a champ that has proven their worth. A stock market guru puts their faith in companies that have a proven record of success. What achievements have any local govt. entities delivered that define and inspire your assurances of success?
You're a hater -- maybe not of all rail, but certainly of this worthwhile project in Phoenix. Only a hater would continue to bring this issue up again and again. Only a hater would continue to use shifting arguments to knock down a project that has already been implemented. Only a hater would propose mutually contradictory alternatives that aren't alternatives at all: neighborhood circulators one week, a network of light rail all over Central Phoenix the next, etc. Only a hater would continually inflate and distort the numbers in every discussion of cost.

As for the confidence factor, let's begin with the decision to hire the person responsible for Minneapolis' successful light rail implementation to manage the system in Phoenix. You've said previously that our local rail officials have no experience with this type of project. From the top down, that's just plain wrong. But why let the facts stand in the way of hate? Please, just give it a rest for a while. A year from now, if ridership is low and accidents are high, come back with all the "I told you so's" you want, but right now it's as if the city is having a great party and you're pouting in the corner because you didn't get your way.

Last edited by exit2lef; 01-06-2009 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
All mass transit in the nation are subsidized.

So will the light rail

Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
All mass transit in the nation are subsidized.

So will the light rail
For that matter: so are freeways and surface streets; yet with rare exceptions--------no tolls are charged

Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 PM

105 posts, read 215,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
You're a hater -- maybe not of all rail, but certainly of this worthwhile project in Phoenix. Only a hater would continue to bring this issue up again and again. Only a hater would continue to use shifting arguments to knock down a project that has already been implemented. Only a hater would propose mutually contradictory alternatives that aren't alternatives at all: neighborhood circulators one week, a network of light rail all over Central Phoenix the next, etc. Only a hater would continually inflate and distort the numbers in every discussion of cost.
I hate people label everyone that disagrees with them as "haters".

Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Look it up, it's true.
Light rail is faster, smoother, more pleasant and promotes pedestrian oriented dense development along it's route...you can't say any of those things about buses.
Nice try with the "25mph" argument. You do realize that is the average mph right? Including starting, stopping, and waiting for passengers to board. You may think your car averages whatever the posted speed limit is but it's usually about 1/2 that on surface streets when you account stop lights and waiting.
I doubt that slug averages speeds that are over 20 mph. It's certainly no faster than a bus with as many stops.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerguy View Post
I hate people label everyone that disagrees with them as "haters".
Here is the thing: Your posts, your words, your "railing" indicated hatred.

In your case, the term "hater" may very well be appropriate

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I doubt that slug averages speeds that are over 20 mph. It's certainly no faster than a bus with as many stops.
It is faster.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
What?

You might want to look up the maintenance costs and schedules on bus systems vs. rail systems over time. You might also have a look at reliability figures between them. In most cases, rail wins the day.

And in what way are Taxis cost effective for anyone but the cab company?
How about if we have a massive power failure? I doubt the rail has a backup power system but busses could still keep running.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
How about if we have a massive power failure? I doubt the rail has a backup power system but busses could still keep running.
There is backup power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area