Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM

359 posts, read 1,198,566 times

Advertisements

CALL CENTER WORK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE! I can't stress this enough. Regulations are brutal, you have to sell something and meet a quota, and your supervisors will make you do embarrassing things. Don't apply at a call center thinking it is a secure job, if you don't have any experience in retail, or professional communication with customers, chances are you will be out of a job AGAIN in a month with NO luck applying for unemployment. Find yourself a job you CAN do, not just because you HAVE to do it. If you have money to move to another state for work, then may the force be with you. But don't forget, you have to have money to last you for at least 3 months for rent, food and utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 PM

178 posts, read 602,684 times
Have you tried any of the public school districts or community colleges? Maybe they need a maintenance people?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,223,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
CALL CENTER WORK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE! I can't stress this enough. Regulations are brutal, you have to sell something and meet a quota, and your supervisors will make you do embarrassing things. Don't apply at a call center thinking it is a secure job, if you don't have any experience in retail, or professional communication with customers, chances are you will be out of a job AGAIN in a month with NO luck applying for unemployment. Find yourself a job you CAN do, not just because you HAVE to do it. If you have money to move to another state for work, then may the force be with you. But don't forget, you have to have money to last you for at least 3 months for rent, food and utilities.
I have to agree with this completely. I worked at a call center for two years, basically hitting the top of their pay tier (minus bonuses.) Our team was quite good, but quite expensive, so sure enough they kept driving up our figures and goals until they were no longer attainable. After several write-ups for failure to achieve our numbers (at goals that far exceeded any other team's), we were let go one by one over the course of a week.

The job was fast paced, the rules were always changing, and it was boring, but it paid well while it lasted. Not happy with how we were treated, though.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM

359 posts, read 1,198,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I have to agree with this completely. I worked at a call center for two years, basically hitting the top of their pay tier (minus bonuses.) Our team was quite good, but quite expensive, so sure enough they kept driving up our figures and goals until they were no longer attainable. After several write-ups for failure to achieve our numbers (at goals that far exceeded any other team's), we were let go one by one over the course of a week.

The job was fast paced, the rules were always changing, and it was boring, but it paid well while it lasted. Not happy with how we were treated, though.
I agree with you as well. How does a local call center pay $11 to $12 an hour per employee? By having the CSR or the Technical Support staff sell products and services to the customer, you are not there just for "technical support". Another thing to think about, if you see a job in the employment section that pays $10 an hour, research the company online. Learn about the company's culture and what the company is about. Don't take a job just for the money!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
horrible job situation. when this happened to me i went to the adult ed center and learned to type.
welfare is an option until you do learn to type -4 to 6 months of daily practice with lots of prayer. real men dont type and do office work but i learned and made out ok.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times
Welcome to the new economy.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
horrible job situation. when this happened to me i went to the adult ed center and learned to type.
welfare is an option until you do learn to type -4 to 6 months of daily practice with lots of prayer. real men dont type and do office work but i learned and made out ok.
I am a real man and I love to type. One of my great accomplishments is to have memorized the keyboard. I do think you hit the nail on the head though. The goal is to learn a new field or trade. Maybe what we used to do isn't what is needed today. Sometimes we need to leave our comfort zone and do something that employers will pay a decent wage for. I know that plenty of people are making great money in the Phoenix Metro. Nationwide there are a lot of people making a lot of money. The thing is that they are in another field or have a business that is booming even in these hard times. I am not saying that I have the answers to how we can all make it, or even survive while things are falling apart around us. I am saying that plenty are doing just that though. Some are even getting rich while we speak. Just want to figure out how to get into that position myself.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,745,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
CALL CENTER WORK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!
AMEN to that, IHate!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM

683 posts, read 2,654,144 times
I've always enjoyed working on golf courses. They're always looking for greenskeepers that can show up on time every morning. They're also looking for people that are legal citizens. Wages have gone up significantly in the last year, about two or three dollars an hour more. Benefits are usually good too. There's a few courses around here that are starting people at $10 an hour.

A friend of mine just got an outside services job at the new Ritz-Carlton. He's making $10 an hour plus tips. Tips at a place like that can be very good. I had a similiar job once and made $50 - $100 a day, cash, during the winter.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM

96 posts, read 533,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khogue View Post
What about warehouse jobs which is what he really wants to do? In Arkansas, the job market is also horrible especially in residental construction. Right now, he works for a company building a waste water treatment plant, but they are don't have any projects in Arizona so he has to go elsewhere .
Warehouse jobs are fairly plentiful especially south of the I-10 from 51st AV to Avondale. Target, PetSmart, Ulta, Amazon, and a lot of 3PL's in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: