Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,857,465 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by noah
Things important to us include:

-Access to travel
-Warmer climate (We currently live in a 4 seasons climate in Wa state)
-Jobs (Accounting and Insurance)
-Range of activities available.

You'll have lots of access to travel by air in Atlanta.
Atlanta will not be nearly as hot, and has more seasons than Phoenix.
Jobs, I'm not sure about.
Range of activities? Depends on what kind. But, Atlanta probably has an edge on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:10 PM

31 posts, read 36,186 times
Just a quick aside, when I refer to a city I always mean to count the metro area, which is why it's difficult to judge a city based upon the character of only the city limits. It's also why I hate Chicago so much (after growing up there) but I'll post further under it when I feel so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well, first off...they don't have city specific data. But, given that so many people in the Phoenix metro area don't even live in Phoenix, I think it is a fair representation of what to expect.

I think Arizona is conservative, but it is a different kind of conservative from the South East. It's somewhat more libertarian and "leave me alone" than what you get in the South; add onto that the significant Mormon population and you get an interesting amalgam. But, make no doubt about it, it's conservative.
I'd take an educated guess that Houston is more conservative than Phoenix yet most definitely it's not the same brand of neocon BS going on in Phoenix. People in the South tend to care more about their communities and each other (especially if they're native to the South) while Phoenix and western states in general have mainly transplants who compete ferociously with each other in every way, certainly in the job market where the east coast and midwest "buddy system" method of quality employment is missing. From what I hear and I mean not to offend anyone, but strip clubs and adult entertainment is more permissive and prevalent in the Houston and even the Dallas area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dallas would be the example of arch-conservatism and cronyism in the entire state of TX, I wouldn't be interested in relocating there. Ironically Plano is the headquarters of my current employer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Just look at the House Reps from the Phoenix metro area. Almost all of them are fairly conservative. I think the more moderate officials are elected by catering to more liberal voters in the north and around Tuscon, while at the same time picking up a significant minority of more liberal voters in the Phoenix area (40 something percent still voted for Kerry). McCain is simply an institution at this point and he was very conservative when first elected.
I'd say a comparable but politically stance-wise opposite situation exists in Illinois, in that the state reps outside of the Phoenix metro area are almost insignificant in terms of influence and power. McCain is a moderate which reflects more the overall bent of the state, even though he is a native and grew up in or near Phoenix. I'll digress a bit here, but the attitude and mindset of natives over 40 years of age compared to those under 40 is almost like talking about two different places. I'm 36 and a transplant, and I relate much more to older AZ natives, since those my age or younger are very self-centered and excruciatingly shallow.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 PM

56 posts, read 56,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Yep, and Harris County is also huge, and includes many of the conservative suburb cities (Katy, Cypress, Spring) in addition to the less conservative city of Houston. I bet if you looked at voting results for just the Houston city limits, it would be different.
Same thing with Fulton County as it includes more conservative areas within the Atlanta metropolitan area as well, and it is also a large populated county, yet 59% of the population still voted for Kerry in 2004. Two other main counties within Atlanta; De Kalb (73%), and Clayton (71%), also easily went to Kerry in 2004.

I also believe that there are even more potential Democrat voters in those counties that didn't vote as well because they were aware that Georgia would go to the GOP whether they voted or not. The only counties in Arizona though that did not vote for Bush were Pima, Apache, Coconino, and Santa Cruz. All others went comfortably to Bush, including the counties that border Maricopa County such as Pinal, Gila, Yavapai, La Paz, and Yuma.

There is absolutely no doubt that Phoenix is not as progressive as Atlanta. Not even close.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM

31 posts, read 36,186 times
Nope, no progressives here except maybe around Camelback Rd. and Central Ave. LOL, the rest of the state is either moderate or neoconservative. I've heard Atlanta has a more liberal bent, but the most obviously liberal place I've been to is Austin. It's also the home of the most important radio program in the nation.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 AM

18 posts, read 86,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate to either Atlanta or Phoenix and would like input. We have no kids, are young professionals (late 20's). Things important to us include:

-Access to travel

Would prefer to live in the city but understand that both cities are more car towns. Seems to us that perhaps the job market is a bit better in Phoenix and the potential for real estate growth greater. The downside for Phoenix is the hot summers and air quality. Both cities seem to be within 6 hours or so of the beach by car.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
I moved to the Atlanta area from Phoenix a few years ago. Just some things I want to point out, although I will try to not to "be biased" in answering: I am married w/children, law enforcement/social services background, born and raised in N. California, started my "adult life" in Phoenix (working, raising family, etc.) but my family's roots are in the south. However, my heart will always be on the west coast. But I will do my best to be objective
(also, these are from my personal thoughts, not surveys, polls, stats, etc.-IMO everyone has access to these, but I think you want personal experiences)

-Access to Travel
PHX-Pros: Sky Harbor Airport (very major airport), Amtrak (I remember they used to go to the Phoenix, or might have been Tucson), Greyhound, etc. Easy access to major freeways; So. California-about 6 hr drive, Las Vegas (aahh, a fave place of mine ) about 4 hr drive, No. California-about 10-12 hr drive-all these are accessible by plane for relatively inexpensive fares (Southwest always had great deals!). Close to very beautiful areas right in Arizona-(I love the AZ Highways magazine!). And I love the grid system of the Phoenix metro area-If you know the cross-streets of a location, you can automatically picture it and know how to get there. Once you have it down, you will never get lost!

ATL-Pros: Hartsfield International Airport (another 'very major' airport) and also still pretty close to Birmingham (if you live in the area west of Atlanta-a friend of mine, who has family in Phoenix, is going to be flying Southwest Airlines from Birmingham-SW doesnt fly into Hartsfield-her tickets, for 4 people, are only $500 Round trip-total! Now of course that was a special deal and she figured she would rather make the 1 1/2 hr drive there than spend $1500 in airfare flying from Atlanta. Georgia is very close to the other states and there are tons of activities available. Great deals from ATL to the Caribbean (I've even seen some great ones to Europe). Major attractions and opportunities to experience a blend of cultures in the heart of Atlanta, nightlife, etc.

PHX Cons-Congestion on the freeways (which is the case for a lot of other major metro areas), lack of cultural attractions-I'd think that Phx would have more to offer with it being such a large metro area, but it's also a very transient population so that may be a reason-also lack of nightlife

ATL-Cons-Congestion (traffic congestion is REALLY BAD!!) I still can't figure out the Atlanta city road system-the grid system really spoiled me!

-Warmer Climate
PHX--obviously, it's warm!! Dry heat or not, I stopped counting once it hit 100-that felt the same as 110, etc. Ability for year around golf, etc. If you enjoy the 4 seasons, after the novelty of the warm winters wears off, you may miss that season change. But people I know that moved there from Minnesota or other really cold places loved it. One person told me she could actually enjoy life here-not worried about humidity and mosquitos in the summer and snowed-in winters-her words, not mine. And beautiful sunsets and sunrises. Swimming in our pool late at night (because the sun was too much in the daytime!) and once it warms for the year (I think around April?) it stays bathwater warm. Monsoon storms in the summer (I think July-August are the prime months)-but usually they occur (or least I remember them occurring) around 5 pm-right when you are leaving work! It's rare to have a 'sudden' storm; a lot of times you can see the wall of dust coming in (esp. from the far west and east valleys) and the wind starts, etc.. and they usually don't last too long. Also Phx is no longer the state to run to if you suffer from allergies/asthma (although I think that idea went away a long time ago)

ATL-It's warm here, but yes it is humid. Personally the humidity has done wonders for my skin and hair. I think you have the four seasons here, but not as extreme as some other places: Winters can get cold (wind chill factor 8 degrees)-the wind is the worst-sleet, rain, and occasionally 'snow flurries'. But springtime is so beautiful-minus the 5000+ pollen count. If you suffer from seasonal allergies, watch out-I think GA is one of the worst states for allergy sufferers. But if you can ignore the green/yellow pollen dust on your car, it is really pretty! The last few weeks it has been averaging in the 70s in the daytime and 40-50's at night. Summers humid, fall it cools but it is still nice. Beautiful change of colors (autumn trees) just north of Atlanta..

-Jobs
Both cities have major corporations based there. However I do think Atlanta may have a little edge. But I am not in your field, so I really can't say...

*** So there you go, finally! I do like it here now and I am finally 'settling in' but it could be because the community we just moved into has lakes, golf, and a lot of other 'western transplants' LOL!! I guess I will always be a (south)West Coast at heart

Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,794,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate to either Atlanta or Phoenix and would like input. We have no kids, are young professionals (late 20's). Things important to us include:

-Access to travel

Would prefer to live in the city but understand that both cities are more car towns. Seems to us that perhaps the job market is a bit better in Phoenix and the potential for real estate growth greater. The downside for Phoenix is the hot summers and air quality. Both cities seem to be within 6 hours or so of the beach by car.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
noah,
Although I really doubt you are still following this train-wreck of a thread, both cities provide everything you're looking for. Yes, it gets warm here in Phoenix during the summer. You didn't mention what your tolerance was for cold or high humidity. I've attended several week-long conferences in Atlanta and always in September or October. The weather was very nice during my visits. But the Phoenix freeway system and street layout beats Atlanta's hands down. Most Phoenicians have no idea how good they have it.

For beaches, NC's are absolutely beautiful. No kelp stinking up the sand like California. For culture, Phoenix is still predominantly geared toward outdoor physical activities as opposed to art museums. Atlanta simply blows Phoenix out of the water when it comes to sophistication. If it wasn't for Atlanta residents, the world would never have experienced the "Tomahawk Chop" and it's accompanying chant. My life has certainly been enriched by it.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
I just moved from Atlanta to Phoenix and absolutely love it here. If you can move to Scottsdale or Paradise Valley I would do so. I love them both but would choose Phoenix if given the choice!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,967,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Aside from the completely irrational implication that voting for Bush vs. Kerry determines whether one is conservative or liberal, it is wholly inappropriate to compare Arizona's mega-counties to Georgia's mini-counties. Fulton county is about 50% minority and much of it is impoverished. If you compare voting precincts with similar demographics I think you will find that GA 'burbs are every bit as "conservative" as AZ burbs are. If any eastern liberals move to Atlanta, I bet they don't stay liberals for long. It's a lot easier to love the poor, the minorities, illegal immigrants, and the drug addicts when you don't have to rub elbows with them.

Now that was your greatest post ever!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,967,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboar View Post
Nope, no progressives here except maybe around Camelback Rd. and Central Ave. LOL, the rest of the state is either moderate or neoconservative. I've heard Atlanta has a more liberal bent, but the most obviously liberal place I've been to is Austin. It's also the home of the most important radio program in the nation.

Ahwatukee and Tempe have a bunch of liberals.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 PM

29 posts, read 88,503 times
Lindsey Lohan has a place in Scottsdale. Phoenix is therefore the coolest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area