Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,867,126 times
[quote=Valley Native;7214218]And I clearly stated that I completely understand about unfortunate situations arising like the one you described. I was lucky enough to come from a stable home (even though we weren't well off by any means) ... but I did go to a private school where children from all walks of life attended. Private schools are open to kids from less than fortunate backgrounds, and I knew single/divorced mothers who sent their kids to private institutions. What matters more is not how poor or impoverished the household is ... but how the money that they have is BUDGETED.
Ok, well I had a family that was living on 600 dollars a month. The mom did not qualify for welfare. How is she supposed to budget enough money to send her two kids to a 2000 dollar per semester private school.

Sorry, but that is completely false. You obviously don't know what goes on in the charitable sector, or in corporations for that matter. The company I work for has frequent charitable drives to help children in need: Adopt a Family, backpacks/supplies for students, March of Dimes, Toys for Tots, etc. Those events always receive an overwhelming amount of donations & volunteers, even during the economic slumps.

I just watched a news show that showed that many charities are SUFFERING during this slow economic time. It showed a food bank that was on the verge of running out of food.

That's a fear based statement, typical of the Chicken Littles who blow things out of proportion. IF (and this is a huge IF) privatization would result in kids roaming the streets & turning to a life of crime, that would be stopped immediately by the many charitable groups, individuals, and companies which would find a way to pay for the needy children's school tuition.

Who is going to pay for it? Would you be willing to pay for a child's tuition? I am sure the answer is no. Many companies are struggling to stay afloat in a bad economy.

Well, guess what? Currently, we're paying for schools AND prisons. Regardless of what happens with the schools, there will always be the criminal element of society that can't be rehabilitated. Maybe you should examine how much of your tax dollars are thrown into the public schools. The amount of money spent on public education is ALARMING ... yet, they are still substandard in comparison to private education.

Really? Have you been in a public school? We are on the verge of running out of basic necessities such as toilet paper. My students currently don't have the proper supplies and I don't have the money to buy them. Has anyone helped me buy supplies for my students? No. My kindergarteners are currently using broken crayons that will be gone before the school year is over. I can't buy them new crayons because I am spending all my money on asthma medication. No one will help me buy them, not even my parents who do have the money.

Government doesn't have to be involved in subsidizing something in order for it to work properly. In fact, the private, capitalist system is MUCH more effective & efficient. Unforutuately, there will always be people that go without, no matter how much public or private funding is allocated. Look at health care, which is a privatized system. Some people don't have health insurance ... but there isn't a national crisis like some would believe. Most Americans have health insurance, and most are completely satisified with their providers.QUOTE]

There is a national crisis in health care. I was diagnosed with asthma this year and I currently have to spend about 150 dollars per month on medication. My doctor is possibly going to say I need to take another medication called Xolair. My doctor said that most insurance companies have a copay for this medication that runs anywhere between 100 and 300 dollars per month. I have actually talked with a few other people with asthma who are spending 500 dollars on their medication.

As a teacher, the only expense I can see as pointless that my school uses is this thing called Data in the Day. Data in the Day is this thing where a group of individuals from like Phoenix or somewhere goes around to each classroom to make sure all the teachers' lessons are following what they call a West Ed Protocol. My principal does the exact same thing when we are evaluated. My district has to pay well over 10,000 dollars for all the teachers to put on a "dog and pony" show for the West Ed people. Cutting this would certainly ease a lot of tension with all the teachers in my district. One teacher, last year, got so stressed out over Data in the Day that he had a bad panic attack and had to be rushed to the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 AM

150 posts, read 458,024 times
Default I agree with ya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'll probably get some disagreement here, but I'm glad they're considering cuts in the education budget. Taxpayers are forced to subsidize this monstrous beast known as public education because it's "for the children". However, we have all seen the statistics that public education has been a disaster in many ways ... despite how much of our tax money is being shoved into the system. As Arizonans, we pay not only local property taxes for school districts, but also a state sales tax (approved in 2000, which became the largest sales tax increase in state history) to support public schools. No matter how much money is thrown into the system, the bleeding hearts always complain that schools are under funded.

The state is facing one of largest budget deficits in the nation. If you look at the state budget, we spend MORE on public education than anything else ... far far more! Therefore, if the state is serious about reducing the size of the budget, cuts will have to be made. So why not target education, which is extremely costly in general, and swallows up more government money than any other social service??? Napolitano left her job as Governor with a huge mess, and lots of expenses (such as all day Kindergarten) that now need to be eliminated as a result of the inability to maintain a prudent budget.

I give a thumbs up to cutting public education ... and furthermore, a nod to moving the schools from the public sector to privatization. That way, the state's burdening budget crisis would be practically eliminated, the quality of education would be substantially improved, taxpayers would receive a much needed break, and parents would be flipping the bill for their own offspring's education ... which is the way it should be!
Not much different here in the Chicagoland area! The state lottery was "Suppose" to help the public school system. I agree, anytime they tag "Education" or "for the kids" on a program they know they'll get the support of the people.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,982 times
a starting teacher makes about the same as a walmart night stocker, I know exactly what you're talking about, bluebelt.

The asthma thing... is it allergy related or something else? My brother and father both had horrible allergies and asthma when they were younger. Both fixed the problem by getting allergie shots for 5 years and finally got over theirs.

I believe elementary school in public form is fine and, as long as their is hard discipline in the school, it's a great idea. As long as the teachers are checked into, its fine. Being a teacher is no different then any other career out there, in the fact they need a manager of some sort. I can't tell you how many times i hear my wife complain about the other teachers SLACKING on preparing for aims. When the principle announced aims is in X days, they freaked out and asked my wife for help. She of course denied them because the others are more into socializing then doing their job. My wifes school is loosing 1 teacher per grade level this next school year. Increasing the classroom size to about 30,32 kids per room. Wasn't the babysitter law or rule 5 kids per adult?

High school and jr high school pointless and overly used as a social gathering place, not for learning. I can't tell you how many times teachers would repeat the same thing every year, many useless hours in a computer lab, and useless hours fixing classroom fights, gangbanger problems, murders, harassment from other students. This was how it was in California for me, in Arizona i doubt its anything different. If your child is succeeding in any field why would you keep the child at a generizled public school? If succeeding in Science or Math, go find a proper academy. If arts, the same. Specialized school would be awesome and not so leasure as these high schools are.

Last edited by shiphead; 01-29-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Ok, well I had a family that was living on 600 dollars a month. The mom did not qualify for welfare. How is she supposed to budget enough money to send her two kids to a 2000 dollar per semester private school.
How is she able to pay for other necessities, such as food, clothing, and utilities? Those things are privately run services, and I don't hear any calls for turning those things over to a socialized, taxpayer funded system. Otherwise, there are lots of charitable organizations that can help families in need. As I mentioned earlier, my sister & I went to a private school in our younger years, and we were barely considered to be middle class. My sister needed glasses during a time when my parents couldn't afford it, so they turned to the Lion's Club (a privately run community service) for assistance.

Quote:
I just watched a news show that showed that many charities are SUFFERING during this slow economic time. It showed a food bank that was on the verge of running out of food.
Yes, times are difficult right now. However, a good share of individuals who still have jobs are willing to contribute to charitable causes. I mentioned the drives we sponsor at my company, and they always end up meeting or exceeding their goals. Most people are pretty generous as far as giving to worthwhile causes ... especially when it involves children.

Quote:
Really? Have you been in a public school?
Yes, I went to a private elementary & junior high school, but attended a public high school. The difference was night & day.

Quote:
We are on the verge of running out of basic necessities such as toilet paper. My students currently don't have the proper supplies and I don't have the money to buy them. Has anyone helped me buy supplies for my students? No. My kindergarteners are currently using broken crayons that will be gone before the school year is over. I can't buy them new crayons because I am spending all my money on asthma medication. No one will help me buy them, not even my parents who do have the money.
Then I must ask: with all the taxes we are paying to support education, and most education funding is approved by the voters in the special bond elections (as well as in the general elections), where is all the money going??? The conditions you described in your school are pathetic ... and all the more proof that the end results are substandard whenever government runs something. If you want something done correctly & with high efficiency, DO NOT ask the government to step in!

Quote:
There is a national crisis in health care. I was diagnosed with asthma this year and I currently have to spend about 150 dollars per month on medication. My doctor is possibly going to say I need to take another medication called Xolair. My doctor said that most insurance companies have a copay for this medication that runs anywhere between 100 and 300 dollars per month. I have actually talked with a few other people with asthma who are spending 500 dollars on their medication.
Sounds like you have a lousy insurance plan. I'm on medication for Diabetes and acid reflux, and my PPO pays for most of it. I only end up paying about $20 or so for my refills. Again, if you worked for a private school system, you would likely have an opportunity for better health care coverage ... and possibly even better pay.

As a teacher, you should welcome privatization. It would benefit you, your students, and everybody else in the long run. Yes, families with kids would have to bear the cost out of their own pockets ... but that's the price people should pay when they take on a huge responsibility like procreation. Having children is really like anything else in life: if you can afford it, fine. If you can't afford it, you are not entitled to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
Not much different here in the Chicagoland area! The state lottery was "Suppose" to help the public school system. I agree, anytime they tag "Education" or "for the kids" on a program they know they'll get the support of the people.
It's kind of surprising (and refreshing) to hear some agreement on this topic from the land of Obama! It's funny how so many politicians and special interest groups push all these things on the public to supposedly help children, and they usually are approved by the voters. However, no matter how much public money is allocated for something, there's always a huge shortfall. Bureaucrats simply do not know how to manage things very efficiently or effectively. It has been that way for ages, and I don't understand why people keep thinking government is their savior.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 PM

100 posts, read 408,355 times
Default Somewhat agree with Valley Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
Hey I was a product of the CPS lottery system...because of it I got into one of the top 10 high schools in Chicago at that time. Yet even though I am a still a huge Obama supporter, I do think at least in Maricopa County, budget cuts are necessary because obviously the funds are not being used properly.

One of my first posts in this board was about the intelligence level of the people in the Phoenix area. At first I thought it was coincidental, but as time went by, I started communicating with many of the young people it just seem as if there was a disinterest in policy and history. It appeared as if they lacked simple moral ethics that you are taught in grade school, almost as if ignorance was accepted.

This time we are not talking about the young black youth and minorities that are struggling, but the majority of the students in the Maricopa public school system are white, and they are simply failing. It is not like that in the Chicago suburbs where it is predominantly white and almost everybody that attends high school there graduates on time. It is backwards.....

Maybe at least in Maricopa county privatization can be the answer...besides most of the county is conservative, if parents want there children to get an education, I am pretty sure they would do what they can do to allow there children to get the best education possible even if it has to be for a price. Now the parents can take responsibility on making sure there kids do there homework, and turn off the TV, study the arts, get an appreciation for history and develop respect for people of all ethnicities and cultures, especially since now they know they are paying for there education.

It hurts me because some good friends of mine were/are protesting it, and it is somewhat hard for me to tell them that maybe what the government is doing in Arizona isn't so much of a bad thing after all.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Hey I was a product of the CPS lottery system...because of it I got into one of the top 10 high schools in Chicago at that time. Yet even though I am a still a huge Obama supporter, I do think at least in Maricopa County, budget cuts are necessary because obviously the funds are not being used properly.
The school districts here are asinine. In Phoenix alone, there are multitudes of individual elementary & high school districts ... so there is too much administration & overhead to deal with. Even cities like Los Angeles have less bureaucracy by having one unified school district. I've heard the good sides and bad sides to consolidation ... but it still won't solve the problem of getting this burden off the backs of taxpayers, or improving the quality of education.

Yes, budget cuts are necessary because with the severe deficit, the state needs to trim the fat from its expenditures which Napolitano approved ... such as all day Kindergarten. That is merely subsidized day care, pure & simple. With the sour economy forcing most everybody else to cut back, there is no reason why the state can't cut back on thse highly costly measures that amount to pork barrel projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Maybe at least in Maricopa county privatization can be the answer...besides most of the county is conservative, if parents want there children to get an education, I am pretty sure they would do what they can do to allow there children to get the best education possible even if it has to be for a price. Now the parents can take responsibility on making sure there kids do there homework, and turn off the TV, study the arts, get an appreciation for history and develop respect for people of all ethnicities and cultures, especially since now they know they are paying for there education.
Personally, I think privatization is a only dream for many of us conservative minded Libertarians ... at least in our lifetime. The major political candidates on both sides of the aisle wouldn't dare to suggest privatizing schools for fear of losing votes, and support from lobbyists and/or unions. Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama have favored MORE government control over education ... and that's one reason schools have failed in the public system.

I do think, however, that if privatization of schools becomes a reality, it would start in isolated school districts and slowly spread to others over time. It wouldn't be a sudden nationwide movement.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM

103 posts, read 229,477 times
We build public funded stadiums so millionare athletes can ply their trade in relative comfort.

But the education of our kids? Slash.

Priorities are amazing.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,172,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnari View Post
We build public funded stadiums so millionare athletes can ply their trade in relative comfort.

But the education of our kids? Slash.

Priorities are amazing.
I know right?! It's amazing to me to see, first hand, how our current budget effects the classrooms. Now, with it facing larger cuts, it's just sad. I spend so much money on the kids in my class it's crazy but you know what, I'd rather do that than have them have to go without. The Board continues to promise to keep the cutback's as far away from the classroom as possible, and that's great, but it's not what ends up happening. Things have to get better soon here in Az or the state's public school districts will lose good teachers.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:53 AM

382 posts, read 1,356,687 times
So instead of cutting budgets, why not look for solutions to the "energy" problem? Cutting budgets only goes so far. Many of our schools are already hurting. It's about time we stop cutting and start doing something about it that's productive.

There's a new type of air-conditioner that would be perfect for AZ (freezes to ice at night and uses that to cool during the day), or even think solar power. Might as well get some use of all that sunshine! Sure they might have a larger cost in the beginning, but the prolonged benefits outweigh the initial costs, imo. I know that in homes solar panels can pay for themselves in savings in 8 years.

Eventually if more and more people expand to these other areas of alternate energy uses the prices to build them will drop considerably, and they have money to spread out to other things.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
So instead of cutting budgets, why not look for solutions to the "energy" problem? Cutting budgets only goes so far. Many of our schools are already hurting. It's about time we stop cutting and start doing something about it that's productive.

There's a new type of air-conditioner that would be perfect for AZ (freezes to ice at night and uses that to cool during the day), or even think solar power. Might as well get some use of all that sunshine! Sure they might have a larger cost in the beginning, but the prolonged benefits outweigh the initial costs, imo. I know that in homes solar panels can pay for themselves in savings in 8 years.

Eventually if more and more people expand to these other areas of alternate energy uses the prices to build them will drop considerably, and they have money to spread out to other things.
I really doubt if too many people are opposed to alternative energy and increased education. The fundamental difference is: who pays for it? I certainly don't care to hear about Arizona always falling behind other states in terms of education, and other things ... however, most everyone seems to believe that the government should be funding, regulating, and supplying all these amenities. I can't stress enough that practically every time the gov't steps in to "help", the more costly and ineffective it becomes. The taxpayers end up flipping the bill for all the mis management and inefficiency.

Budget cuts for education are necessary ... especially the all day Kinder care program which Napolitano implemented. Public schools count for a huge percentage of the overall state budget. If they were cut completely, we would likely have a surplus. At this point, the best way to save taxpayers the most money and improve the quality of education at the same time is to turn the schools over to the private sector. Otherwise, if you want to keep education public where tax money subsidizes it, then Arizona should take a hint from Nevada and legalize gambling state wide, as well as prostitution ... and let the tax money from the casinos & brothels pay for these social services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area