Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM

686 posts, read 3,717,844 times

Advertisements

Hi,I currently live in Tucson, and am thinking about moving up to the Phoenix area to attend community college. Can anyone compare Tucson with Phoenix?

1. Is it cleaner?

2. Is public trans. good?

3. What parts of Phoenix are good and what parts are bad?

Thanks,

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,283,008 times
My husband spent most of his teenage/college years in Tucson, and then we lived in Phoenix up until several months ago. He'd say the air is cleaner in Tucson - there's more rain, which helps, too.

I wouldn't say public transportation is really great in Phoenix. There is a bus system, but it's pretty hot to have to stand outside and wait for a bus in the summer. The transit system goes pretty far north, though.

When you ask what parts are good or bad...well, that's a loaded question! Do you mean safe, scenic, close to shopping? what would you be looking for specifically?

My husband really liked Tucson a lot better than Phoenix due to Mount Lemmon and the more lush desert landscape. Also the smaller town feel. Personally I felt Tucson was a bit *too* small for my tastes, so it's pretty subjective. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 PM

132 posts, read 517,403 times
well I guess I am the typical Phoenix resident also an ASU grad so I have nothing good to say about Tucson. My friends often refer to Tucson as the states armpit. Ok, seriously, I have spent a good amount of time in Tucson and its dirty to me, there are also tons of homeless people everywhere on every corner. I hate it, but thats just me.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Default I Agree

I totally agree, I think Tucson is nasty and is ugly. I am hoping that Phoenix is different. is it? Is it a crappy as the old pueblo? If the desert cities are all like this, then I am out.

Thanks.

Daniel

Old 03-15-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Reply

When I ask what parts are good and bad, I'm asking what areas are crime ridden and best avoided? What areas are not so clean and ugly. Where can I find a cheap rent in a decent neighborhood. That kind of stuff.

thanks.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,103 times
Default Also interested in this thread - bump

If anyone could respond to this topic that would be cool -

I am possibly moving up to Phoenix from Tucson for a job and it would be in tempe near the asu campus. I want to be able to live close by and i am assuming there are lots of reasonable student/young professional type apartments in the area.

Anyone have some good things to say about apartments around there?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,460,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi,I currently live in Tucson, and am thinking about moving up to the Phoenix area to attend community college. Can anyone compare Tucson with Phoenix?

1. Is it cleaner?

2. Is public trans. good?

3. What parts of Phoenix are good and what parts are bad?

Thanks,

Daniel
I guess I'm one of those rare Arizonans who does not have a strong preference for one city over the other. Maybe that's because I did not go to college in Arizona and therefore was not exposed to sports rivalries. I live in Phoenix because my career is here, but I like Tucson and could see living there under different circumstances.

As for your specific questions:

1. It's hard to say. I think of both cities as clean in terms of not having a lot of litter on the streets. If you're referring to air pollution, Phoenix probably has more of a problem due to its larger size.

2. Public transportation in Phoenix is better than its reputation but certainly not comparable to large cities on both coasts and the Upper Midwest. There is bus service that covers major arterial streets in Phoenix and its larger suburbs. Service is generally seven days a week, but some lesser routes do not run on Sundays. The main challenge is the grid street system in Phoenix, which can often result in transfers to get from one place to another. Still, service has improved dramatically over the last five years and will get even better when the new light rail line opens next year. More info at valleymetro.org

3. Phoenix is a huge city, so it's hard to answer that in a concise manner. South Phoenix has traditionally had a bad reputation, but it is improving. Maryvale, on the West side, is now gaining a reputation as a high-crime area. Still, generalizations are difficult to make for such a large metro area. You might want to focus on specific zip codes and research those.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM

31 posts, read 36,133 times
Tucson has an air pollution problem?

Phoenix is like any other metro area, which is being gentrified that is, there's no good deals in town in terms of rent or housing value, if you're paying less the area reflects the value, and vice versa. Stay away from Mesa, especially near the US 60, a lot of criminals will steal from the condos or apt complexes then jump on the highways with the loot.

I recommend avoiding the Tempe area, except if you like horrendous traffic and rude pushy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area