Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,282,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
What's the hotel/motel picture like in the general area? Just a place to lay one's weary head, nothing fancy, but close enough to get to Old Town easily?
I have found some good deals after the snowbirds take off in the AZ Republic travel section ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

272 posts, read 1,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
I have found some good deals after the snowbirds take off in the AZ Republic travel section ads.
Ah! A good place to look, I hadn't thought of it. Thanks!

Off topic, how is the snowbird season going in Phoenix this year? Lots of them, or fewer than normal?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM

725 posts, read 2,329,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
Ah! A good place to look, I hadn't thought of it. Thanks!

Off topic, how is the snowbird season going in Phoenix this year? Lots of them, or fewer than normal?
I think alright. I see lots of out-of-state plates on the Streets.

Speaking of Snowbirds, I heard March is the peak month for people vacationing in Scottsdale!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 PM

140 posts, read 543,800 times
This snowbird wishes to be in Scottsdale right now - it's currently -6 degrees in Minneapolis!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,342,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerbiker View Post
This snowbird wishes to be in Scottsdale right now - it's currently -6 degrees in Minneapolis!
I can see how you would be attracted to a warmer climate this time of year ... but I invite you to visit here in July when it's 120 degrees warmer than the above mentioned Minneapolis temperature. Our extensive periods of heat (and dry spells for that matter) become about as monotonous and difficult as the bitter cold, ice, and snow of the upper Midwest. Take it from me, as a native, who dreads it when our first 100 degree temperature occurs usually in May, because we have another four or five straight months of heat after that!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 AM

725 posts, read 2,329,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerbiker View Post
Ughhh!!!! Shoveling snow, cracking ice from Windshields, and freezing off body parts too cold to use anyway - I don't envy you at all.

Hotels in Scottsdale are probably jammed-packed this time of year, but you might find some with Vacancies and good discounts.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,585,129 times
Ok I moved to Old Town Scottsdale when I was 41 and my girlfriend was 38. That was in 2000. And I thought Old Town was for the younger crowd! I do recall Ra Sushi attracted people in their late 20s and early 30s so the original poster should feel right at home there. Now if he wants to bird dog the younger women, he should go to Mill Street in Tempe.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,579,222 times
What I always say about the heat here is that at least we do not have to shovel it.

I've been to MN in June and thought it was lovely.... but then I picture what it is like in winter, and my perspective changes.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,109,805 times
downtown/"old town" Scottsdale is fine for a 33-year old...one section (Indian Plaza St?) has become a hip nightclub scene for self-important 20/30-somethings and wannabes.....by the way, have lived in Scottsdale since age 12 and I think only the tourists and the visitors' bureau call it "old town"...locals just say downtown, I think....

the entire Fashion Square/Waterfront/downtown/civic center is a great walking area, but the drivers are often more important than pedestrians....take it easy out there!....lots to see and do....old school places and ultra-hip spots....new residential spots are coming in...nice urban living, but definitely has an upscale/trendy/"beautiful people" vibe at times....but I walk around in shorts and a tee and don't feel out of place - I just don't go IN the stores and I feel fine at the Fashion Square food court!!!....

the snowbird season was slower than normal this year, but not dead....that's reasonable to assume with the economy situation....

somebody asked about hotels and rates: usually expensive thru early May, then the lowest summer rates exist thru September....there's a Motel 6 very nicely located next to Fashion Square on Camelback Rd....look around on hotwire, orbitz, priceline, etc....the best "resorts" are well north of downtown several miles, but the Phoenician is close and among the best in the country....should be able to get good deals this summer if you're looking to save....call and ask!....or browse the net.....of couse, some places are nicer than others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: