Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,959,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Cant find it anymore, its all spanish now.
Sorry but there is no market there. The market drives the content. Spanish stations must make money for the advertisers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,267,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Air America went bust due to lack of listeners and ratings, hence why there is aa cry for the "Fairness Doctrine" but when the ratings are low, thats all that needs to be said.
AirAmerica radio is still in business

Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,304 times
Default "Conservative" lies debunked.

The propaganda is that liberal talk radio cannot compete with the profitable "conservative" (what are they conserving?) talk. Contrary to this "conservative" meme, liberal talkers like Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann, etc. regularly receive higher ratings in many markets where they go head-to-head with the likes of el Rushbo. The same rumor hit the 'net when Al Franken started running for senate (to cries of "He's failed!"...even though he was regulalry beating Limbaugh in ratings and quit his radio show to run for the senate. Google it if you don't believe me).

The reasons for liberal talk network bankruptcies, etc. are several. For example Rupert Murdoch subsidized Fox, so it got past its startup losses, which were substantial. No equivalent exists for Air America, and others attempting to start liberal talk networks (a pay dispute connected to these keeps Randi Rhodes off air).

I've never heard a liberal talker suggest "fairness" as some kind of remedy, except where "conservative" principles have been ignored, and liberal stations that were doing better were bought and/or closed by their "conservative" masters (Clear Channel is one), who then replace the liberal talk with lower-rated formats (gospel in Sacramento). That's monopoly business practice, not the sacred "free market."

Liberals are often on lower-powered stations, have to find a different kind of advertiser, etc. Meanwhile assembling the media oligopoloy in the U.S. continues apace, so any possibility you'll encounter an un-"conservative" thought diminishes day by day. Of course the "conservative" propaganda is that the media is overwhelmingly "liberal"...but that doesn't bear much scrutiny. For example, U.S. papers continue to have a "Business" section, but no "Labor" section. Authors like Noam Chomsky, and Robert Fiske are hard to find, except in the foreign press, or internet. Yet you can hear from George Will all the time, even in "liberal" papers who purchase his writing for "balance."

And the "conservative" B.S. continues to be trumpeted from the rooftops. A crank theory (Supply Side AKA "voodoo" economics) actually remains part of the civic discourse. (See Paul Krugman's "Peddling Prosperity" for the debunk).

People still believe Ronald Reagan was a "great" president who ought to be emulated. "Cutting taxes will increase revenues" is still promoted on cable news shows. We're taught to ignore the Reagan / Bush trillion-dollar deficits, they're someone else's fault. Somehow deficits aren't taxes you haven't paid yet; they're magical "irrelevancies" (according to Dick Cheney).

Did you hear that, with the exception of the Nixon administration, the Reagan administration was the crookedest on record (29 indictments for malfeasance in office)? Did you hear that Bill "Slick Willie" Clinton had zero such indictments? Naw! Clinton was the crook, Reagan is a saint!

That's the ticket! And even though there are trillion-dollar Republican deficits, the Democrats are the ones raising taxes! We're so distracted that no one mentions the eight tax increases Reagan signed -- all regressive -- and the fact that payroll taxes quadrupled between Reagan and Bush 41. Or that for the last decade, the bottom 90% of incomes have declined while the top 0.01% increased 497% (the real figures). But no, that would be "class envy" to even consider such a thing a problem! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

To quote Thomas Jefferson: "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Last edited by yoshidad; 03-31-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: omissions & second thoughts

Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,271,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshidad View Post
The propaganda is that liberal talk radio cannot compete with the profitable "conservative" (what are they conserving?) talk. Contrary to this "conservative" meme, liberal talkers like Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann, etc. regularly receive higher ratings in many markets where they go head-to-head with the likes of el Rushbo. The same rumor hit the 'net when Al Franken started running for senate (to cries of "He's failed!"...even though he was regulalry beating Limbaugh in ratings and quit his radio show to run for the senate. Google it if you don't believe me).

The reasons for liberal talk network bankruptcies, etc. are several. For example Rupert Murdoch subsidized Fox, so it got past its startup losses, which were substantial. No equivalent exists for Air America, and others attempting to start liberal talk networks (a pay dispute connected to these keeps Randi Rhodes off air).

I've never heard a liberal talker suggest "fairness" as some kind of remedy, except where "conservative" principles have been ignored, and liberal stations that were doing better were bought and/or closed by their "conservative" masters (Clear Channel is one), who then replace the liberal talk with lower-rated formats (gospel in Sacramento). That's monopoly business practice, not the sacred "free market."

Liberals are often on lower-powered stations, have to find a different kind of advertiser, etc. Meanwhile assembling the media oligopoloy in the U.S. continues apace, so any possibility you'll encounter an un-"conservative" thought diminishes day by day. Of course the "conservative" propaganda is that the media is overwhelmingly "liberal"...but that doesn't bear much scrutiny. For example, U.S. papers continue to have a "Business" section, but no "Labor" section. Authors like Noam Chomsky, and Robert Fiske are hard to find, except in the foreign press, or internet. Yet you can hear from George Will all the time, even in "liberal" papers who purchase his writing for "balance."

And the "conservative" B.S. continues to be trumpeted from the rooftops. A crank theory (Supply Side AKA "voodoo" economics) actually remains part of the civic discourse. (See Paul Krugman's "Peddling Prosperity" for the debunk).

People still believe Ronald Reagan was a "great" president who ought to be emulated. "Cutting taxes will increase revenues" is still promoted on cable news shows. We're taught to ignore the Reagan / Bush trillion-dollar deficits, they're someone else's fault. Somehow deficits aren't taxes you haven't paid yet; they're magical "irrelevancies" (according to Dick Cheney).

Did you hear that, with the exception of the Nixon administration, the Reagan administration was the crookedest on record (29 indictments for malfeasance in office)? Did you hear that Bill "Slick Willie" Clinton had zero such indictments? Naw! Clinton was the crook, Reagan is a saint!

That's the ticket! And even though there are trillion-dollar Republican deficits, the Democrats are the ones raising taxes! We're so distracted that no one mentions the eight tax increases Reagan signed -- all regressive -- and the fact that payroll taxes quadrupled between Reagan and Bush 41. Or that for the last decade, the bottom 90% of incomes have declined while the top 0.01% increased 497% (the real figures). But no, that would be "class envy" to even consider such a thing a problem! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

To quote Thomas Jefferson: "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."
You sure have a lot on your mind, but the OP was asking about liberal talk radio in Phoenix. If your fingers have recovered from your last post maybe you could try again and answer the question.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 11,829 times
I'll second that. If you have legitimate debate to offer to readers of George Will, among others, allow me to recommend www.townhall.com . You will find infinite opportunities to express your views, be they relevant to the issue at hand or not.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 AM

824 posts, read 2,337,235 times
I am not a liberal, but I used to listen to Air America because Franken was funny. When he left to run for the Senate, I rarely tuned in again.

The disappearing with no warning is par for the course in radio. Station format changes, and that is that. It is usually less an issue of red and blue, mostly just green.

I remember tuning into 101.5 FM in Phoenix to get my daily morning dose of Adam Carolla's rants a year or two ago, and there was nothing to be found but hip-hop.

"I'd been tipped off that KNUV 1190 AM, formerly the flagship station of the liberal Nova M radio network, and briefly, the home of Nova M's successor network, On Second Thought, had been padlocked."

Phoenix - Feathered Bastard - The Curse of Randi Rhodes: Nova M's Successor "On Second Thought" Padlocked in Phoenix (w/Update)

Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM

122 posts, read 307,645 times
Okay. So Liberal Radio sneaks away/dies away in the middle of the night, and then gets replaced by Spanish-speaking radio? Nothing wrong with that. Great music! Que bonito!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Cant find it anymore, its all spanish now.
It has to do with 2 things

1. Liberals philosophy on taxation
2. radio shows need sponsors. that's how they make money

Companies aren't going to sponsor someone who wants to raise their taxes

Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshidad View Post

Forgot to take your meds again???

Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,866,832 times
Bush's debt is nothing compared to what is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area