Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,766,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzlisa View Post
Thanks AZNative4Life. I've never been to a bank were I saw the people wearing jeans and collared shirts. So, I take it, it just might be pretty different which I find cool. I'm not in phoenix yet, and may not have employment lined up until after we move. So, there is no HR or Supervisor to ask right now. I know every company is different but there is generally an obvious standard. And I just happen to be curious. I had a friend that moved to VA and she mentioned to me that it was surprisely different for her. I found that to be interesting so I thought I would just ask.
I don't work in a bank branch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM

338 posts, read 1,625,178 times
I work in a very conservative firm. We never have casual Fridays where you can wear jeans. The guys always have to wear long sleeve shirts and a tie but a jacket is not required. The dress for women is not as formal- we can always wear open toed shoes, pants, sleeveless shirt and dresses, etc. No capri pants or city shorts are allowed.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,210,083 times
I work in banking. Moved here from Cleveland.

I am not in the "front lines" (ie the branch teller people who greet customers and handle the daily business). I am in the back office-a construction lending office. We do see clients sometimes, but our clients are builders-they come to meetings in golf shoes and shorts.

Our dress code is officially business casual Monday-Thursday (basically no jeans, no belly dancer shirts, no pants hanging down to your knees...). Friday is casual and we can wear jeans.

Then again, we also are allowed to telecommute (work from home). In which case the dress code is whatever you want it to be on those days. A few times I have worked out by the pool-and still got business done just as well as had I been wearing a suit and pumps (I am female so no tie). ;-)

Each company culture is different, but on the whole, Phoenix is a lot less formal than parts back easter where I came from...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,559 times
When I'm working in Phoenix, I always wear business casual, but others where I work wear business casual, jeans, and sometimes even shorts. In the summer it's too doggone hot to wear jeans - my opinion. Khakis look more professional, and they feel cooler.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
I have the same question about dress code. I have been in Phoenix for over 20 years and still think of "business professional " as being slacks or skirt with a jacket. Must be ingrained from growing up in Atlanta.
I have an interview with nationally known business. Should I dress as if I am back east with a jacket,or would it be appropriate for top and slacks?

Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
Moved to phoenix last year from the midwest. I can DEFINITELY say that corporate dress here is WAY more casual. During the summer, we can wear sorts/collared shirts, basically "golf attire".
During the winter, dress is business casual.

In general, EVERYTHING about work atmosphere here is more relaxed. In fact, on Thursdays we listen to "war of the roses" a somewhat vulgar morning radio program....OUT LOUD on a stereo. Dont' know about anyone's experiences in the midwest, but that certainly wouldnt' fly back home!!
Corporate dress in shorts? That is far from the norm around here. I deal with professionals all day and business casual is the least I've ever seen. Most professionals are in button/colored shirts, slacks/dockers, with no tie.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klowe22 View Post
I have the same question about dress code. I have been in Phoenix for over 20 years and still think of "business professional " as being slacks or skirt with a jacket. Must be ingrained from growing up in Atlanta.
I have an interview with nationally known business. Should I dress as if I am back east with a jacket,or would it be appropriate for top and slacks?

For an interview, I'd dress up. What's appropriate dress code once you get the job and how you'd dress for an interview are two different things.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
Thanks. I was of the same mind. My 30-is daughter thinks what I consider business casual is appropriate.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM

300 posts, read 441,559 times
Major company (Fortune 50) relocated me from Midwest to new hub in Tempe. There I would wear a collared shirt (polo/button up) and khakis, black pants or as a programmer I could get away with jeans. I work in an all IT building out here and wear a tshirt and jeans daily, and shorts in the summer. Oddly enough the call center employees can't wear shorts or anything like that.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,948,208 times
In most places I've worked or been in, dress code around here is along the lines of khakis and a collar (more often than not, a button down without a tie, but I see polos pretty often as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area