Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg200 View Post
Hi everyone. I am relocating to the area in June. I just found out my work hours are 7:30 am to 4 pm. I will be working in Southern Scottsdale near General Dynamics.

I have two questions:

I wanted to know what the traffic is like on the roads from lets say 6:00-7:30 am and then again from 4-5:30 pm. I am trying to figure out a radius of about an hour commute to try and find a house to purchase.

Any suggestions on good housing areas within an hours commuting time? I have a wife and two young children if you need to know specifics.

Thanks for all the help.
You're pretty much in the thick of traffic at that time frame.

You can find homes in the Gilbert area and in the east Mesa area that are in your price range. These are nice areas. Gilbert has a good school district, and parts of east Mesa are in the Gilbert school district.

You can live just about anywhere in Gilbert and get to south Scottsdale in an hour during commute times, using either the 60 or the 202, depending on your location, and then join the 101 heading north.

If you're working with a Realtor, have him/her set you up on an mls portal and send you daily updates of properties that meet your criteria in these areas. That's the easy way to do it. You review the portal each day and let your realtor know which properties you want to see. That's the easiest way. You'll be able to see all the houses available that meet your criteria then make appointments to see the ones you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Actually we have been looking towards Peoria, North Phoenix and Glendale as those are the areas I hoave found that have houses we can afford. I have yet to find any "cheap affordable houses" in Scottsdale. I have been looking for 4-5 months now. If you could point me to where these houses are then I would be willing to look there too.

As for part of my initial question, what are your experiences on the roads leading to Phoenix at 6:30-7:30 am and then at 4-5 pm? Is it really a parking lot? Anyone here from or driven in Boston traffic? Does Phoenix traffic compare to Boston traffic?
Peoria and Glendale are diagonally across the Valley from where you want to go. From there or north Phoenix, you will be in traffic going south toward downtown Phoenix in the morning, but then once you clear downtown, you will be going against the traffic. In the evening, it will REALLY bottle up westbound (assuming you are on the 202/Interstate 10) through and past downtown. Then, either the I-17 going north or the 101 going north (which one depends on how far west you live) will both have a fair amount of traffic. AZ 51, if you are headed to north Phoenix, can also carry a fair amount of traffic (the same would be true southbound in the am).

If you don't go too far west, an hour commute MAY be possible.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,740 times
I live in Goodyear and was able to commute about an hour each way to North Scottsdale (42 miles each way) in about an hour working 7-4.

However, that was on the 101. South Scottsdale will put you on I10, which I believe is going to be much worse.

I know there are some SMOKING deals on houses in the Goodyear area right now in some absolutely beautiful newer neighborhoods, but the commute might be a bit more than you are looking for since it's pretty far west of Phoenix. The commute to downtown takes about 25-30 minutes for us when not in traffic. I don't commute and haven't commuted on I10 for years, so I don't know how much worse it is during rush hour, but Scottsdale is definitely east side and past downtown from my perspective of the valley.

I used google maps to get from our house in Goodyear to Camelback and Scottsdale Rd (just a random southern Scottsdale area) and it says up to 1 hour and 10 minutes in traffic.

There are some very nice areas in Peoria, Glendale, etc., but they do seem to be farther north, which means you need to commute south before you can commute east, so you may want to stay on the east side of town and look at Mesa, Gilbert, etc. like mentioned be a previous poster.

We used to live in Chandler and I will say that we found traffic in the general area to be MUCH heavier than in the southwest valley, where we've been for the past 8 years. We used to have to sit at stoplights for 2-3 rotations before being able to turn left, etc. and we don't have that over here, which we like. We also love how new the entire area is; the homes, the shopping, etc. That is a personal preference, because I know a lot of people who DON'T like that.

That being said, there is so much to do in the east valley, that if the increased traffic and such doesn't bother you, it's definitely worth checking out!

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

51 posts, read 159,458 times
I live in Goodyear and there are great deals right now for homes, but you're definitely in traffic nightmare. I used to go to 32nd Street and Camalback which is on the border of Phoenix and Scottsdale and it was easily an hour during rush hour. I haven't commuted there for the last 2-3 years so I'm guessing it may have gotten worse. The other negative for living in the west valley and commuting to the east side of town for your job is that both ways you're driving INTO the sun, which makes, especially in the summer, the commute even more painful. I have a friend renting a home in Chandler, and I think there are more parks and things for kids to do in the east valley than the west valley. I love the west valley but in your case I'd probably steer you towards the east valley... I'm not as familiar with that side of town so I can't steer you to specific communities, but I'd definitely talk to a realtor and get their input as well...

Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
Check out Tempe, very close to south Scottsdale, and some safe affordable houses. I commute from North Phoenix to University and it is a pretty fair commute. About 30 mins each way.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM

45 posts, read 198,633 times
Are there any specific areas of Tempe or Chandler or anywhere else in the East side I should put my effort into looking at? I am not in the area yet, but I have been looking online quite a bit. I will be in the area to see the different communities in 2 months, so any info before I arrive will just narrow down my search areas.

Thanks to everyone so far for all of the info. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:20 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
Check out the Arizona Department of Transportation site. You can check out the web cams for different areas at the time you will be traveling and see for yourself!

Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 18,447 times
Shouldn't traffic be lighter with so many people out of work?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Are there any specific areas of Tempe or Chandler or anywhere else in the East side I should put my effort into looking at? I am not in the area yet, but I have been looking online quite a bit. I will be in the area to see the different communities in 2 months, so any info before I arrive will just narrow down my search areas.
Stay away from north Tempe because it's not a very safe area. Central Tempe encompasses the Mill Avenue district and is a haven for the younger college crowd & the party crowd ... so that area is often heavily congested, and I wouldn't recommend it for a family environment anyway. Try south Tempe from about Broadway southward ... especially areas south of the 60 freeway. If you choose south Tempe or even Chandler, you can always take the 101 freeway to & from your workplace in south Scottsdale. Still, the further you live from your job, the longer of a commute you're going to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2aoeu View Post
Shouldn't traffic be lighter with so many people out of work?
Nah. It should be heavier with more people driving around looking for work!

Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 PM

587 posts, read 1,419,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyinaz View Post
The other negative for living in the west valley and commuting to the east side of town for your job is that both ways you're driving INTO the sun, which makes, especially in the summer, the commute even more painful.
You know, that's SUCH a good point and I forgot all about that since I don't commute anymore.

Driving into the sun here SUCKS - it's so intense and traffic gets SO much worse. I always noticed traffic was better on the few cloudy days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area