Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 26,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Imagine getting dragged into court as a defendant in a wrongful death suit because you served one to many drinks to some guy who then commenced to drive a family off the road and not even remember it in the morning.
wow... yeah that would be rough. I do have a small business that is getting some growth and am confident it will take off so its kind of just a bridge job. But I might settle with being a waiter at a nicer restaurant or something. That way I can still go out... hahah

Does anybody know if there is a good place to look online? I have kind of fooled around to see but haven't found anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 11,837 times
I know Wells Fargo is hiring tellers and my friends say that they usually start at around 10 bucks an hour. There are locations all over Tempe, including one in the Memorial Union. You can work 20 hours a week and never be at work past 7. That would leave your evenings free for social networking at least.

What type of business do you have?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Wow, I didn't know they paid that well. I will have to look into that. One of my buddies is a bank teller here and actually enjoys it a lot.

Check your mail Deportivo.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,098,892 times
My little sister has been a teller most of here life and she loves it. She even turned down a promotion because she just likes being a teller (except for the time she was robbed) !

Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,191,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dus22 View Post
Hello everyone!

I am graduating college and will be moving to the Tempe Scottsdale area in June. Thank god I can't wait! Yes I know the heat blah blah blah I know what it is like so spare your time... haha

I am trying to figure out where I should live and if anyone knows of a good job for someone who is my age. I will be living with my dad for a while but am looking to get out ASAP. I will be in graduate school so I don't want a 40 hour per week job. But I also want to meet people because I could count all my friends down there on one hand. I was thinking about working at a gym but know they don't pay all too well...

As far as living. Like I said I will be a graduate student so cost is an obvious concern. But I do want to be in a pretty nice place. Does anybody know of any places that are either close to ASU or downtown Scottsdale that are nice and cost effective? Any help would be great, I enjoy reading all the stuff you all have to say about the city! haha.

Thanks!
No I'm not a recruiter, but have you given any thought about the military? Hear me out before you rant...

If you got a regular job, How much are hoping to make your first year out of college? $30,000 - $40,000 - $50,000?

Odd are good that you will be making about $30,000 with no work experience...if you are lucky.

So let just say that you did make $30,000 in your first year....

How much does it cost for rent? $600.00 (no furniture) Min. Average - $850.00 a month.

How much for health insurance? If you are new to the company, it might be 6 month before you get health insurance. Ave - 1 year. $100.00 a month.

How much for dental? Same as above.

How much will you spend on electricity for the apartment? Let say $125.00 a month...remember, Summers coming!

How much will you spend on Food? Let say you spend $10.00 a day...can you do it? If you buy stuff at the store and you fix it yourself, then you might be able to make it work. If that's the case, $10.00 equals out to be about $300.00 a month.

Now, what if you want to go out...say to a movie once a week? $9.00 times 4 equals $36.00 a month.

What about putting gas into the car to go to and from to work? Let see, $25.00 every three days. that's 10 times you will fill up every month, times $25.00 equals $250.00 in gas.

What if you wanted to take a girl friend out to eat? $50.00 min on Saturday night (no liquor) With Liquor...$85.00 min. Times 4 times a month = $340.00 a month.

Ok, how much for a health club to stay in shape? $25.00 a month?

Ok, what about a car payment? Do you own your car? Lets say you car go defunked, then what? That means a car payment of $125.00 a month (low end...used.)

How much will it cost for you to stay in? Let see, cable Tv package...$65.00 low end, one premium channel.

Phone for the house? $49.00 a month with T-mobile.

Ok, lets review for what it would cost you each month.....

Apartment: $850.00
Health & Dental Insurance: $100.00
Electricity: $125.00
Food: $300.00
Gas: $250.00
Health Club: $25.00
Car Payment: $125.00
Cable TV: $65.00
Phone: $49.00 (T-mobile)
Total Cost per month...$1889.00

I did not include going out on the town for a movie or taking your girl out to a nice dinner. Which would be an extra $375.00 a month, making it $2264.00 a month.

Ok, if you made $30,000.00 divided by 12 = $2500.00 a month with NO taxes taken out.

NO Fica, NO State, NO SS Tax, NO Medicare!

With all of these deductions, you can easily chew up close to $200.00 every two weeks in deductions. Thanks an extra $400.00 a month.

So let say you are making $2500.00 a month and with the deductions, they are taaking out $400.00 a month.

That means you take home $2100.00 a month. Minus all of your expenses of $1889.00 a month, leaves you with $211.00 to have fun with.

Remember, this is not including movies and going out to eat with your girl friend. This is just the bare essentials. If you were to go out and eat and take your girl to the moves once a weeks, that would be an extra $375.00 which would mean you would be in the hole by -$164.00 Sorry to be so negitive.

So lets look at it differently...

If you were to join the...lets say Navy!

Rent: FREE
Health: FREE
Elecricity: FREE
Food: FREE (three meals a day...ave cost $8.00 per meal)
Gas: $175.00 (on Base)
Health Club: FREE
Car Payment: $125.00
Cable TV: FREE
Internet: FREE
Phone: $49.00 (T-Mobile)
Total Cost Per Month...$$349.00

Then you get base pay, depending on your rate and rank, you can start off making $1649.00 a month free and clear

However, you have a 4 year degree. The starting officer will make $2655.30 a month and after two years, if you make lieutenant, which is very easy to do with your eyes closed, you will make Around $4013.40 a month....free and clear!

Now what do you have to say?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Well I do like you idea. But that is because I strongly contemplated it already... haha. Before I chose my undergraduate college I visited the Navy and while looking at graduate school I STRONGLY considered the Air Force but decided I wasn't going to go.

Great idea though! I absolutely love our military and would be a privilege to be apart of, but right now it just isn't for me.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM

132 posts, read 427,591 times
I have a decent job history and plan on moving to the area this summer (I turn 23 in July - so I'm around your age, dus22). Unfortunately, with the way this economy is, it's near impossible to find anything. I drive down to PHX from where I live now in CA every couple of months, and last time I was there (first week of March), I couldn't find ANYTHING. Places are just scaling back.

I'm going to have to echo the waiting tables idea since places like Chili's, Friday's, and many other chain restaurants and local places are always hiring. Even in the economy, turnover is rampant since once kids graduate college they tend to go off in to the working world and put jobs like that behind them.

Personally, it's not my cup of tea, but I don't have a degree yet, so sometimes you need to just do what you have to do until something better comes along.

And I strongly considered the Air Force for awhile, too - looks like we have a lot in common!

Good luck to you!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Hey Handiquack. I sent you a message a little while ago. You should take a look at it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area