Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM

16 posts, read 26,549 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am graduating college and will be moving to the Tempe Scottsdale area in June. Thank god I can't wait! Yes I know the heat blah blah blah I know what it is like so spare your time... haha

I am trying to figure out where I should live and if anyone knows of a good job for someone who is my age. I will be living with my dad for a while but am looking to get out ASAP. I will be in graduate school so I don't want a 40 hour per week job. But I also want to meet people because I could count all my friends down there on one hand. I was thinking about working at a gym but know they don't pay all too well...

As far as living. Like I said I will be a graduate student so cost is an obvious concern. But I do want to be in a pretty nice place. Does anybody know of any places that are either close to ASU or downtown Scottsdale that are nice and cost effective? Any help would be great, I enjoy reading all the stuff you all have to say about the city! haha.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,082,121 times
For a job I would suggest waiting tables at a nicer restaurant. The tips may be better than you think.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,297,944 times
Wow.. we are sort of in the same boat

I am also 22 and I have my bachelor's degree.. and in august I will be going to graduate school for my masters.

I have a part time job at the moment (used to be full time, but had to cut back from lack of work.. darn economy) and I cannot find another part time job ANYWHERE!! I have been searching for even the simplest jobs... fitness places, home depot, petsmart, dunkin donuts, coffee shops, preschools... no luck whatsoever!! I didn't think I would have this much trouble.. but it just isn't go well at all However, I can't say i've applied at restaurants yet (i'm trying to find a morning job first before I have to resort to night jobs).

Hopefully you have better luck then me If you find a part time job let me know..

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
Of course it depends on what type of degree you are getting but in general, waiting tables can be hard and it's almost impossible to study after waiting tables in the evening. It does pay well though. You want jobs in which you don't have to exhaust a lot of energy. I like the idea of working in a gym (you basically don't work and just stand around chatting with the other employees) Of course there are the library and computer lab jobs. Coffee shop jobs are great too. Or you can try Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 AM

I do like the waiting tables idea. I have thought about bartending. Im not exactly a party animal but I am a college student so I can stay up late and I don't know if there is a better place to meet people my age... I am pretty sure I could get a job at a gym because we are already members of it but like I said I know they don't pay to well and I think I would get pretty bored. I was a lifeguard for 6 years and it was the best job because you didn't have to do anything but was possibly the most boring job ever....

Let me know if you find anything good girlinaz although I wont be there until June... Do you know of good apartments in the area?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,297,944 times
I don't really know of apartments or good places to stay in the Tempe or Scottsdale area (i've only lived in the mesa and gilbert areas).

I have been seeing lots of upcoming seasonal lifeguard jobs opening up. If you can't find a job at a gym then I am sure you would have no problem being a lifeguard since you have so much experience.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dus22 View Post
I do like the waiting tables idea. I have thought about bartending. Im not exactly a party animal but I am a college student so I can stay up late and I don't know if there is a better place to meet people my age... I am pretty sure I could get a job at a gym because we are already members of it but like I said I know they don't pay to well and I think I would get pretty bored. I was a lifeguard for 6 years and it was the best job because you didn't have to do anything but was possibly the most boring job ever....

Let me know if you find anything good girlinaz although I wont be there until June... Do you know of good apartments in the area?
Bar tending is the best job. Unfortunately, if you want to be a bartender at a busy place, you have to know people because bartending pays well and everyone wants to do it. Well, you either have to be a knockout in terms of appearance or know people

Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Well you wouldn't happen to know people would you? haha I know you can take like two week bartending classes and they have job placement after the class, so that is a thought.

PS. Girlinaz check your mail might be something you want to look at.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,074,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dus22 View Post
it was the best job because you didn't have to do anything
good luck in grad school......

(I'm SURE you were kidding about that job!!)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,082,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Bar tending is the best job. Unfortunately, if you want to be a bartender at a busy place, you have to know people because bartending pays well and everyone wants to do it. Well, you either have to be a knockout in terms of appearance or know people
I have always been either self employed or working for companies in the manufacturing sector but my wife was a bartender and you may make good tips but dealing with the drunks is not worth the money. She was working at a rowdy small cowboy bar on an Indian reservation in Montana. But a good fine dining restaurant waiter can do pretty good and not have the risk and liability issues that can go along with bar-tending. Imagine getting dragged into court as a defendant in a wrongful death suit because you served one to many drinks to some guy who then commenced to drive a family off the road and not even remember it in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area