Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 39,340 times

Advertisements

Hello. Could someone advise me how far north in Glendale I should be looking to purchase a rental property, taking into account reasonable commute time to get into Phoenix? I understand that some of the nicest Glendale areas fall into the zip codes farthest to the north, but would they be too far away for convenient commuting? Would a renter rather live in a somewhat less nice area in south Glendale and have a shorter commute, or live in a somewhat nicer area farther north and have a longer commute? Can I find both a nice community and good commute time in the south?

I've seen some advice on this forum to the effect that things get better above W. Camelback Rd., and even better above W. Northern Ave. Would you agree with this? How bad are the areas below these streets (in terms of poverty and crime)?

Ideally, if you were looking for a rental property, which area of Glendale would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
I think I'd be inclined towards the Arrowhead area of Glendale, which is along the 101 around 59th Avenue and points west. That allows a quick shot on the 101 and I-17 into downtown Phoenix.

In south Glendale, you'd have to use the 101 and I-10 into Phoenix - which might take a little longer. If I was doing that, I'd probably look around Westgate, near the Cardinals stadium.

Downtown Glendale is another option, using Grand Avenue, but I suspect that woudl just take way too long.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
I think I'd be inclined towards the Arrowhead area of Glendale, which is along the 101 around 59th Avenue and points west. That allows a quick shot on the 101 and I-17 into downtown Phoenix.
Ditto! I love this area.

Anyhow, to the OP. Where in Phoenix will you be commuting to? That makes a huge difference. And also, what time would you be starting work?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 39,340 times
Thank you, synapse. So areas that are farther away from central Phoenix can actually be closer in terms of commute time? Someone just suggested to me that Avondale and Goodyear might be good possibilities. Do you know if the commute from out there is bad?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
it's really hard to judge commute times - time of day, route, where you are going, etc can all play in

the I10 east is a slow crawl from 83rd ave on east - the 101 slows as you approach the 17 from the west and the 17 south is a slow death all the way in

I worked at central & thomas for a good amount of time. When I first moved out I lived near the arrowhead mall. The shortest route was 75th ave, to grand ave to thomas - about 17 miles. However, you could catch a bunch of lights, get stuck waiting for a train, etc.

It was around 24 miles taking the 101 to the I17 and about 27 miles taking the 101 to the I10

From my house in goodyear it was only 22 miles - but pending on how the I-10 was feeling the commute would either be a little shorter or a lot longer

A lot would matter where in phoenix as phoenix itself is a massive amount of land

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixqs View Post
Thank you, synapse. So areas that are farther away from central Phoenix can actually be closer in terms of commute time? Someone just suggested to me that Avondale and Goodyear might be good possibilities. Do you know if the commute from out there is bad?
It varies a lot. I-10 can be a very fast shot from Goodyear into downtown - 15 minuets at most - or it can back up and take irritatingly long. Usually, though, it's reasonably quick.

I don't particularly like Avondale. Goodyear's nice, as is Litchfield Park along Litchfield Road - surprisingly green, all in all - but the best area near there, IMHO, is Westgate, which is part of Glendale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area