Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 87,825 times

Advertisements

I'm missing my NY garden, and was wondering what grows well here and when--edible that is? I was thinking that Phoenix might have a good growing season, though maybe opposite of NY...Summer hibernation as opposed to winter hibernation. I'm an apartment dweller for the time being, with a little room on my landing. Hoping to upgrade to something with a balcony in a few months, and thinking of trying a little indoor gardening. Anyone here experimented with that? Indoor, outdoor, container gardening? What can take the heat? What is hardy here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,588 times
Last year at my apartment I grew tomatoes on my front porch.

This year I am in a house and I have a small garden out back. My squash and tomatoes are growing very well.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM

14 posts, read 87,825 times
Tomatoes are a good one for large production in minimal space. How much heat can they take? I also heard that peppers do well here. What are the planting times for Phoenix?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
I just put in several cherry tomato plants about 2 weeks ago and they've already doubled in size and have some small green tomatoes on them. I also planted several peppers at the same time, red bell, green bell and chili peppers. As far as the heat goes, not a problem for the tomatoes. Another thing you may want to consider is herbs. I bought some hanging pots and I'm growing parsley, cilantro, oregano and basil on my patio.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,261 times
Get a couple of big planters and put them on your landing and grow some tomatoes and green peppers. I've always had good luck with them, especially the little sweet tomatoes.

I've always had trouble getting any tomatoes after the temperature starts hanging around 100 every day and staying hot at night. The flowers just drop off after they bloom. So, get planting right away, this is the best time for tomatoes. Also, I always get the biggest plant the store has.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,002 times
I have no green thumb but my cactus is doing well on my balcony at my apartment. New growth. I water it every few weeks, which is when I get back home to Phoenix from Los Angeles. I'm kind of proud of that cactus.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Maybe you should call it "herban" gardening.

Seriously, you should try hydroponic gardening. It would be great for a balcony provided only that you get sufficient sunlight. A south facing balcony would be perfect.

I tried hydroponic gardening on my patio a few years ago and some of the produce turned out fantastic! The tomatoes were very excellent although the lettuce left a little bit to be desired. I ended up with the feeling that it depends on which vegetables you grow, and possibly on your technique, accepting the fact that I did it only one season.

You can improvise most of the equipment yourself, although I'd recommend that you find some place to purchase the trays and also the foam blocks that you plant the seedlings in.

For a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with hydroponics I tried it only one season, although I'm definitely planning on doing it again some day. I'll post more if I receive any encouragement or questions.

Damned me, I should have taken pictures.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
All I can grow are flowers, I can't grow anything beyond that. Both of my tomato plants died, i would water them when the soil was dry and they did fine. I think they died because the temp change on my level changes so much.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 AM

683 posts, read 2,651,261 times
Just saw this story today with some good advice on growing tomatoes.

Searching for perfect tomatoes? Grow 'em | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/288118 - broken link)

Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
All I can grow are flowers, I can't grow anything beyond that. Both of my tomato plants died, i would water them when the soil was dry and they did fine. I think they died because the temp change on my level changes so much.
I can't even grow flowers too well here.

I'm a pretty green-minded person, but the only thing about me that isn't green is my thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area