Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 06:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

As a single black female, I would like to know the pros and cons of moving to Phoenix, AZ from Charlotte, NC...Lend me your thoughts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
As a single black female, I would like to know the pros and cons of moving to Phoenix, AZ from Charlotte, NC...Lend me your thoughts....
You mean from a racial perspective? From there, the worst thing I suppose is the relative lack of single black men. If you are looking for dates or a boyfriend or a husband, you may have to look outside your race. That (interracial dating/marriage) is pretty common here.

Along the same lines, Phoenix lacks any true ethnic or racially distinctive neighborhoods. There are some where blacks used to predominate but they mostly have moved away and those places are now dominated by Hispanics - mostly illegal. Black people are dispersed into the other parts of the city along economic lines which is the general pattern in the Phoenix area. In other words, you live near people who are in your same economic group. They could be of any race or ethnicity. That is not to say that like-minded people cannot find each other here. There is a bar, hangout, activities for every group. But like everything else, this stuff is spread over a few hundred square miles of sprawl and may not be convenient for you. It's too far to drive to a "black" church so you go to the community church down the street and join the choir or something to get involved. You make friends with white people or Hispanics or you don't have many friends. I think you get the picture. Like my wife says, you get used to it after a while.

Otherwise,you will face the same things as anyone who moves here - heat, traffic, and isolation if they are not outgoing. If you were raised in NC, then you will also find a bit of cultural adjustment. Arizona is not the bible belt. Church is not the center of the universe here. In general, people are fiscally conservative but tolerant and not particularly socially conservative. It's kinda California with a strong mid-western influence.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
What Ponderosa said. I will tell that moving to AZ would be a cultural adjustment but maybe a good one for you. The main thing is that if you have a better career opp in Phoenix versus staying Charlotte go for the career opp. But keep in mind that culturally the two cities are different and thats hard for some to adapt to.

If you're concerned about dating, a lot of black guys in Phoenix date white women from my experience. Nothing wrong that but you should be prepared if that is a concern to you below the percentages of black males in PHX is small. It's all about the circle to choose to role in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area